First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Certainly makes the full size iPad more compelling. I would feel on the spot and be hard pressed to decide which one I would buy now.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    I think these are going to be very successful releases and they will solidify Apples position in the market.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

14 million? That strikes me as very low. Hmmmmm...

its inline with expectations.  Lets not forget those are sells just before an product cycle of both devices.

Last year Apple also sold 14 millions iPads. That being said, we have no YoY unit sales increase. Competition is taking market shares indeed.

But, I think the new ipads are so great they will trigger a big upgrade cycle. I plan on buying 2 of them.

• Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Photosmike View Post

I own an iPad 3 and planned to buy the iPad 5. I am disappointed in the changes, but I have committed to sell the 3 so its' to late to change my mind. Otherwise, I would wait for the next version.

I am upgrading from the iPad 3, I don't see how you could be disappointed in the ipad5, new form factor and a lot faster. The screen will also look a lot better, the iPad 3 was not IPS.

• Reply 45 of 83

As a seasoned mac fan-boy I expect these improvements in the newer models, but did you notice the reaction from people new to Apple products? They're going crazy over them, it's like they just can't believe what they're seeing, I'm just too jaded I guess.

There must be a big difference between the upgrades they're used to seeing from MS or google than from Apple.

• Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

The Apple I knew would have surprised us tonight. I feel slightly bored instead.

And I own both Apple shares, and consider myself a huge fan of the company. I just wish they would step on it a bit more.

I am very please with the new hardware and free software.  But I agree that I would like to see Apple make a move in new categories like TV and wearable devices.

They still didnt upgrade the Apple 27" monitor and the Apple TV box.  imo its a good sign something is cooking on the TV category or they would have upgrade them.  I see no reason to not upgrade those devices other that there preparing themselves for a major revamp.

• Reply 47 of 83

You're absolutely right. And it's actually pretty insulting on Apple's part. As of today, they're calling their biggest and heaviest iPad model the "iPad Air" an no one's supposed to notice? Anyone intent on owning the top-of-the-line iPad will would be wise to wait, knowing that sometime before the next 9.7-inch refresh there will be a new, larger, superior model.

• Reply 48 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I find it strange that they claim that A7 has double GPU performance compared to A6X.
    Nobody can really say right now. Apple could have boosted the clock rate of the GPU, the CPU or both. Beyond that iPads have enjoyed far better memory bandwidth than the iPhones which always helps GPU performance in an iPad.
    It is known that A6X (76.8 GFLOPS) has roughly double GPU performance over A6
    A7 was also claimed to have double GPU performance over A6.

This makes A7 GPU roughly equal to A6X GPU.
    Actually the A7 GPU has its strong points along with a few weak areas. The net result is that most apps perform much better. It will be interesting to see the hardware in the wild.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    photosmike wrote: »
    I own an iPad 3 and planned to buy the iPad 5. I am disappointed in the changes, but I have committed to sell the 3 so its' to late to change my mind. Otherwise, I would wait for the next version.

I see you are another 7 post wonder. If you have a rational opinion (doubtful) why don't you tell us why you are so disappointed? Each of the iPads got one hell of an update if you ask me.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.
    Eventually they will have to switch to a stiffer material, but yeah not a lot of sense in going much thinner.
    Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.
    On this account I have to say baloney. Really there is always room for more RAM, processor cores, and other technical improvements. One of he big problems with iPad is simply horse power to drive the next generation of apps.
    Any ideas on where Apple could go?

They wil ride the process shrinks as far as they will go. You will one day have the functionality of a Mac Pro in an iPad along with expanded communications facilities.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I am very please with the new hardware and free software.  But I agree that I would like to see Apple make a move in new categories like TV and wearable devices.

They still didnt upgrade the Apple 27" monitor and the Apple TV box.  imo its a good sign something is cooking on the TV category or they would have upgrade them.  I see no reason to not upgrade those devices other that there preparing themselves for a major revamp.
    My guess is the price of a 4K Cinema Display is too much and that's why we didn't see it. Had Apple announced one at a ridiculous price I don't think it would have gone over too well.

I know some are bummed that the iPads don't have touch id. I share that disappointment, but considering what they did with the mini I don't think it was purposely held back so they could have it for next year. I think there are real supply issues and in Apple's mind a feature like that is more important on a phone. The iPad mini was a huge upgrade with the retina display and jumping from the A5 to the A7 processor. I've already seen some hands on reviews that say the mini display is better than the Nexus 7.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    While I'm happy to see Apple put the latest processor and graphics in the new mini I think it is obscene that this fifth generation device that is built to handle robust apps (as opposed to focused iPhone apps) is still being offered with a base 16 GB of storage. With Apple's cost on flash memory being as good as it is - it is time for them get real with their storage options - iPhone should just be one version, 64 GB across the board, in the various colors and iPad should be 64, 128 and 256 (given what Apple is charging for the storage upgrades). While to competition is just plain stupid about memory/storage (at least usually) I expect Apple to do better.

In a way I have to agree, it is about time a real flash storage bump happens. I'm not sure what Apples problem is here, but they do need to become a bit more aggressive and deliver real value for the incremental flash upgrades. Further they need to do something about RAM.

Maybe a write in scheme is needed to prod Apple in the direction of real flash upgrades for the next machine. You never know, it never hurts for the consumer to make his needs known.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    herbapou wrote: »
    The only thing I was hoping is they would reduce old mini's a bit more, to $250.

If Apple would sell a device for 59¢, there'd always be somebody disappointed it's not 49¢
  • Reply 54 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The screen will also look a lot better, the iPad 3 was not IPS.

You must be confused, or you are getting some facts mixed up.

The iPad 3 is definitely IPS. Hell, even the iPad 2 uses an IPS display.

• Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

If Apple would sell a device for 59¢, there'd always be somebody disappointed it's not 49¢

I'd like to see Apple test your theory... starting with the iPMRD.  8-)
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.

Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.

Any ideas on where Apple could go?

Make 32GB the base model.

• Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

its inline with expectations.  Lets not forget those are sells just before an product cycle of both devices.

Last year Apple also sold 14 millions iPads. That being said, we have no YoY unit sales increase. Competition is taking market shares indeed.

But, I think the new ipads are so great they will trigger a big upgrade cycle. I plan on buying 2 of them.

I think Apple is going to have a helluva holiday quarter.

That being said... if it's true that Apple only sold 14 million iPads this last quarter with no yoy growth then we're going to hear some moaning from the pundits.

Oh... what am I saying. They're going to moan anyway.

• Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

Indeed.

The moment I saw the $329 price tag on the iPad mini I knew Apple really wanted two products at $299 and $399, but couldn't pull it off that year.

I wondered about the amazing longevity of the iPad 2, but realized that it's essentially identical to the original iPad mini. If one stays on the price list the other can too. The $100 discount looks stingy, but the cost of building an iPad is probably similar whether you equip it with an A7 or some obsolete CPU you pulled out of the recycling bin.

It's disappointing that storage still starts at just 16GB after all these years, especially when moving up to 32GB would cost Apple less than $10, but it's not the bottom of the lineup that matters. Moving to 32, 64, 128 would be costly and simply dropping the 16GB model would require a different pricing structure. Maybe they'll finally offer more storage next year.

• Reply 59 of 83
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I can't wait until my 6 grand comes in cause I'm buying the 32 gig mini with retina and the goddamn iPad air with 128 memory. I don't care . You live once.

Remember, the larger-screen iPad Pro with Touch ID is coming in 2014 !!

• Reply 60 of 83
    Some smart refreshes this year for phones & tablets ^^ Time to kill off the 4s & iPad 2