USA Today prints contemptuous trashing of Apple's latest iOS 7 release

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 197
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's a serious issue, look at the effects so far. image

I’d love it if the true effects of modern wireless radiation manifested only as a paranoia that modern wireless radiation was harmful.

• Reply 182 of 197
    Don't listen to the Pros & Cons just try it. Most of the complaints revolve around missing detailed icons, really??? And what version is it? Oh yeah, it's new, not all that buggy and unlike others like Goofle & MicroCrap, Apple squashes bugs!

How about thank God that friggin hideous contact app is gone! I can't wait for Mavericks I cringe every time I have to access it on my MacBook Pro. Change is Good!

Only complaint I have is directions stay in the top of the screen while driving and hard to access the top of other apps like iMessage, but not supposed to be doing this while driving, so maybe that is meant as a deterrent. :-)
  • Reply 183 of 197
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

And your comment tells me something else, it was written by a Fandroid.

Move along.

I doubt anyone here would claim I'm a fandroid and I hate DED articles. For example he doesn't seem to realize that one of the primary partners at Nielsen Norman is Don Norman.  A former Apple Fellow and VP.

Another is Bruce Tognazzini.  Another famous Apple alum.

Here's a Don Norman quote: 

“What is Google? What do they sell? They have lots of people; lots of servers, they have Android, they have Google Docs, they just bought Motorola. Most people would say ‘we’re the users, and the product is advertising'.  But in fact, the advertisers are the users and you are the product. They say their goal is to gather all the knowledge in the world in one place, but really their goal is to gather all of the people in the world and sell them.”

DED thinks this guy's company is a Google mouthpiece because Google, Samsung and others had the sense to hire them for UX consulting at some point in time.  His challenging NNG to produce "actual data" is laughable.  Nielsen is the guy that is well known in UX circles for usability statistics.  He wrote the book used in many classes regarding usability testing.  Don Norman, Jakob Nielsen and Tog are all on my bookshelf as a UX developer.  Heck Don Norman is reputed to have first used the term UX in a job title.

Certainly Apple (and Ives) have deliberately traded some affordances for style.  That's a difference between certain schools of UX design. That the NNG folks think that's a bad idea is par for the course.  Personally, I like iOS 7 and the trade off pretty reasonable in my opinion.  There are a few rough UX edges that will be refined in later iterations.  There always are.

• Reply 184 of 197
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Broadhurst View Post

Reporting on a report of a report is not really news. Why not go back to the source article, the Nielsen Norman Group report that you so quickly accuse of bias and bash.

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/ios-7/

Read some of their other reports, get an understanding for what they do. The report is critical but reasonable; it is not trivial.

Perhaps you don’t understand. The USA Today article wasn’t based on the NNG complaints about the iOS 7 design. It was based on some unsubstantiated remarks from a NNG spokesperson claiming that iOS 7 was the most troublesome release ever. 

• Reply 185 of 197
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I doubt anyone here would claim I'm a fandroid and I hate DED articles.  He's such a tool.  For example he doesn't seem to realize that one of the primary partners at Nielsen Norman is Don Norman.  A former Apple Fellow and VP.

Another is Bruce Tognazzini.  Another famous Apple alum.

Perhaps you don’t understand. Don Norman, Jakob Nielsen and Tog weren't making any remarks cited by USA Today. 

The story isn’t about any UX criticism, because that wasn’t the claims made by USA Today. 

None of the remarks in this article were defending iOS 7 UX or complaining that anyone might offer a critique. 

If you didn’t get that, what business do you have attacking the author about relevance? You do not know what you are talking about.

• Reply 186 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Perhaps you don’t understand. The USA Today article wasn’t based on the NNG complaints about the iOS 7 design. It was based on some unsubstantiated remarks from a NNG spokesperson claiming that iOS 7 was the most troublesome release ever. 

It is really amazing that some folks are dumb enough to attempt to spin in the internet era when the original source is but one click away:

"It's Apple's most problematic operating system launch so far," said Raluca Budiu, senior researcher at consulting firm Nielsen Norman Group, which released a report on Oct. 12 saying the design of the new operating system makes it harder to use.

Buttons that used to stand out now blend with the background, and links that used to be visible may now be mistaken for plain text, the consulting firm said.

So the USA article "was based" in part on NNG's complaints about iOS 7 design.  That they also used her anecdotal comments to reinforce the claim that iOS 7 is "troubled" is not unexpected since it's the natural question a journalist might ask when writing a hit piece.  You, know, like "have you had any problems with iOS7 yourself?".  It is your assertion that "Instead, the story's premise relied almost entirely upon on a quote from Raluca Budiu" that is incorrect.  Her name doesn't appear until much later after the comments of Wang and Retzlaff and then is followed by comments made by Roiston.

In fact, while the context is a bit muddled, I believe that she's not actually commenting on bugs in iOS7 but issues with the redesign.  Look at the sentence preceding her statement:

"Apple's problems raise questions about its dramatic mobile makeover decisions and the company's elevation of Jony Ive to oversee much of that development."

Ive has relatively little to do with battery life and bugs in the OS.  He has everything to do with UX design.  Of course, that would require that you apply some modicom of reading comprehension as opposed to blindly striking out at anyone that would dare say anything negative about Apple.

The USA Today writers are evidently even worse at writing coherent pieces than you but it appears that they moved from operating system bugs (blue screen of death) to UX issues before moving back to Wang's inane comments regarding iOS updates and then back to design woes (where Budiu's comments really belong) before wandering over to hardware issues.

Quote:

Perhaps you don’t understand. Don Norman, Jakob Nielsen and Tog weren't making any remarks cited by USA Today. 

The story isn’t about any UX criticism, because that wasn’t the claims made by USA Today. 

None of the remarks in this article were defending iOS 7 UX or complaining that anyone might offer a critique. 

If you didn’t get that, what business do you have attacking the author about relevance? You do not know what you are talking about.

You are such a pompous prig talking about yourself in the third person.

You blatantly implied NNG were paid Google mouthpieces used to attack iOS completely unaware who the hell owns the company.  Again, only a fool would attempt to spin when when their own words are easily available:

"The primary source of the story, Nielsen Norman Group, is a consulting firm that counts Google, Samsung and other Android licensees among its clients

Unsurprisingly, Samsung and Google did not pay Nielsen Norman Group to detail the problems in Android, a more obvious comparison to make with iOS."

And UX claims WERE made by USA Today as clearly shown above.

• Reply 187 of 197
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

If you didn’t get that, what business do you have attacking the author about relevance?

Anyone else giggle when Corrections tries to make it sound like he isn't DED?

• Reply 188 of 197
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Anyone else giggle when Corrections tries to make it sound like he isn't DED?

I just get a headache from rolling my eyes so hard.

• Reply 189 of 197

I dislike IOS7 so much that I am starting to collect links on Facebook to various articles describing the core issues at stake. The goal is to show that a sizeable number of people dislike IOS7, enough people that hopefully Apple will notice and reconsider their approach. I am amazed and saddened to read that loyal Apple fans are being dismissed as people who simply don't like change. In contrast there are many well-reasoned articles that dive into the details of what's wrong with IOS7, details much more substantial than "I don't like the new colors". Check out "IOS7 Rantz" (https://www.facebook.com/pages/IOS7-Rantz/1422677874613180) for more info (sorry for the shameless plug - I would post the links elsewhere if there was a place where they could be easily aggregated).

• Reply 190 of 197
    Originally Posted by snies View Post

Facebook

Oh, yeah. Real valid.

• Reply 191 of 197

To clarify my previous post, I am simply storing the links on Facebook.  The articles themselves are from a variety of sources other than Facebook.  Many of the links are articles from respected UI designers.

• Reply 192 of 197
    Quote:

I dislike IOS7 so much that I am starting to collect links on Facebook to various articles describing the core issues at stake. The goal is to show that a sizeable number of people dislike IOS7, enough people that hopefully Apple will notice and reconsider their approach. I am amazed and saddened to read that loyal Apple fans are being dismissed as people who simply don't like change. In contrast there are many well-reasoned articles that dive into the details of what's wrong with IOS7, details much more substantial than "I don't like the new colors". Check out "IOS7 Rantz" (https://www.facebook.com/pages/IOS7-Rantz/1422677874613180) for more info (sorry for the shameless plug - I would post the links elsewhere if there was a place where they could be easily aggregated).

You sir, are an embarrassment to Apple and it's loyal users… TRUE Apple users have always embraced added functionality, sophistication, and innovation, all of which iOS 7 brings to the table. The only thing causing an issue here is the look / skin of the interface. Let's face it, no company in the world can please EVERY consumer, and the majority of people don't take kindly to change, just look at Windows 8. The difference between that OS and iOS 7, is iOS retains most of it's functionality, whilst adding PLENTY of new abilities. The thing that jars most people is the new coat of paint. To these people, I say get over it! The benefits of the new OS FAR outweigh any negatives of a few icons and colour palettes!

And I've read the reviews by these UI experts. Whilst some make decent observations and recommendations, most are full of it.

These types of "boycott" pages on Facebook of all places give me the serious giggles! It's the place where the old dogs who can't learn new tricks, and whiners of society go to hang out and feel better amongst themselves. If you're going to boycott something, how about boycotting oil companies who destroy our environment, governments who illegally spy on every member of their society in violation of their own laws and constitutions, world leaders who butcher and murder their own citizens???

Boycott those things and start a movement for that, not a bloody OS!

• Reply 193 of 197
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

TRUE Apple users

Really?  :\

• Reply 194 of 197
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

You sir, are an embarrassment to Apple and it's loyal users… TRUE Apple users have always embraced added functionality, sophistication, and innovation, all of which iOS 7 brings to the table. The only thing causing an issue here is the look / skin of the interface. Let's face it, no company in the world can please EVERY consumer, and the majority of people don't take kindly to change, just look at Windows 8. The difference between that OS and iOS 7, is iOS retains most of it's functionality, whilst adding PLENTY of new abilities. The thing that jars most people is the new coat of paint. To these people, I say get over it! The benefits of the new OS FAR outweigh any negatives of a few icons and colour palettes!

And I've read the reviews by these UI experts. Whilst some make decent observations and recommendations, most are full of it.

These types of "boycott" pages on Facebook of all places give me the serious giggles! It's the place where the old dogs who can't learn new tricks, and whiners of society go to hang out and feel better amongst themselves. If you're going to boycott something, how about boycotting oil companies who destroy our environment, governments who illegally spy on every member of their society in violation of their own laws and constitutions, world leaders who butcher and murder their own citizens???

I've been using iOS 7 on my iPhone and iPad, in terms of how it works?  Well, like ANY OS, Apple looks at what the users complain about, they do their own internal things and they'll make changes, they always do.    But they were getting a LOT of complaints to change the UI as people were bitching and complaining that iOS looked the same, so there are two fundamental camps. I personally see the benefits of how things were done in iOS 6 and how they are done now in iOS 7.   If I see a way to improve iOS 7 then I will send in my feedback to Apple through the www.apple.com/feedback and then let Apple make the decision, but there are things I've wanted in iOS that is in iOS 7 that makes it easier, but there are always areas for improvement.  What the icons look like is VERY superficial and Apple does change icons over time.  Remember what the icons looked like in the first rev of OS X to how they look like now?  Some have changed over time.

I'm not worried about it.  There are features in iOS 7 that's a LOT better like the app switcher.  Control Center is nice as well.

I think people should submit their suggestions, etc. directly to Apple via the feedback site rather than posting their BS on Facebook.

• Reply 195 of 197
    Quote:

I see - instead of providing specific counterpoints you would rather resort to name calling.  Hardly a way to make a point worth considering.

But reply I will, if only to clarify the issues with IOS7.  Before I do however I want to say that there are many things to like about IOS7 - the new control center, the webOS style of cancelling programs, the progressive zooming to maintain context.  I even think the parallax effect is rather cool.  But from a designer's perspective (I design GUIs for a living) there are significant usability issues (and apparently also from other users' perspectives based on the many negative reviews).  For example fonts are too thin to see clearly; commands visually blend into content; commands are inconsistently colored (e.g., red in some apps, blue in others, yellow in still others), etc.  Since commands have no other distinction from content other than color this becomes a major issue.  Whereas Apple's UI was previously intuitive, now you have to touch an image and see what happens.  For example, I defy you to tell me whether the AirDrop image is an active command or a graphic adornment without touching it!  These are but some of the issues.  If you're interested in a thoughtful debate I encourage you to read the articles I found.  These issues and others are enumerated in detail.  Or you can continue to label anyone who disagrees with your point of view.  As for me I have no intention of engaging in a flame war.

• Reply 196 of 197
    Quote:

I see - instead of providing specific counterpoints you would rather resort to name calling.  Hardly a way to make a point worth considering.

But reply I will, if only to clarify the issues with IOS7.  Before I do however I want to say that there are many things to like about IOS7 - the new control center, the webOS style of cancelling programs, the progressive zooming to maintain context.  I even think the parallax effect is rather cool.  But from a designer's perspective (I design GUIs for a living) there are significant usability issues (and apparently also from other users' perspectives based on the many negative reviews).  For example fonts are too thin to see clearly; commands visually blend into content; commands are inconsistently colored (e.g., red in some apps, blue in others, yellow in still others), etc.  Since commands have no other distinction from content other than color this becomes a major issue.  Whereas Apple's UI was previously intuitive, now you have to touch an image and see what happens.  For example, I defy you to tell me whether the AirDrop image is an active command or a graphic adornment without touching it!  These are but some of the issues.  If you're interested in a thoughtful debate I encourage you to read the articles I found.  These issues and others are enumerated in detail.  Or you can continue to label anyone who disagrees with your point of view.  As for me I have no intention of engaging in a flame war.

Meh.  As a UI designer that attends (and occasionally presents but not in the last few years) various HF/HCI/HSI/UX conferences my feeling is that past Apple UX has never been as consistent or intuitive as folks remember and current UX never as bad as usability folks think.  The reduction of affordance in iOS 7 in favor of stylistic changes is part of the usual pendulum swing.  Frankly, Apple does it's own thing with regard to UX and does far less research these days than MS.  And yet, Apple has much more usable interfaces anyway.

The traditional HF folks (especially those that serve DoD) simply don't get it.  Hence the "usable" but hideous web layout that NNG sported for the longest time.  Now it's a lot more Apple like.  White, clean but no more breadcrumb navigation.  Less usable but also doesn't look like ass anymore.

I can't tell if the AirDrop image is an active command or a graphic adornment without touching it THE FIRST TIME.  After that, it's not as much an issue. 

And the NNG assessment is:

"So far, in Apple’s apps, these cues do a good enough job of signaling tappability. Many of the apps that we’ve seen so far are decent; there are clear differences between what can be pressed and what cannot. Some of the cues rely on users’ previous knowledge of iOS and the web."

Swipe ambiguity is a minor issue on the iPhone (due to space) and a non-issue on the iPad (due to lots of space).  A little retraining mitigates most of this issue.

The assertion that Apple destroyed millions of hours worth of user learning is hyperbole.  For one thing, I vaguely remember a HFES paper (that I cannot find) regarding retraining time to achieve equal or better performance after UI changes.  It was faster than you would think depending on the kind of change.  So for NNG it was rather a fluffy statement.

Finally, I cannot take at all seriously any site called "iOS Rantz".  Really?

• Reply 197 of 197
    Anyone who is trashing USA Today for their assessment is utterly clueless and needs to be surgically removed from Apple's teat. iOS 7 is arguably the worst mistake Apple has ever made. iPhone sales likely do not reflect the customer dissatisfaction because iPhones are still 'cool,' regardless of how poor the OS is. I have at least 1 friend who lives by Apple and has already switched to a Droid phone. No one i know thinks ios 7 is a good thing.