iWork gets its biggest upgrade ever with overhauled iOS, OS X apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. It will be all Macs purchased from today only.

I was bummed, but it's not true! 

• "Pages is free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID." 

Source: the bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/

• Reply 42 of 67

Yes you can, once you update to Mavericks: http://www.apple.com/mac/pages/

• Reply 43 of 67

It's good for Mac purchases after October 1. I'm in the clear...once I update to Mavericks. 

• Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But I didn't have an eligible device! I have iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4S and 5 ... all got all free updates. Not that I am complaining, just wish my Macs were too, but I did just get iMovie 10, it popped up as available. Nothing else yet.

I am assuming you already owned the apps. The updates are free, but if you never purchased them, then the apps themselves are free for eligible devices.

• Reply 45 of 67
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

One of the things about the iWork apps that makes them work so well for me is the integration into the Inspector panel(s)… It looked to me as though the interface had been simplified, and not for the better, and I cant see that any real new functionality has been added. Can anyone tell us if these updates are worth it?

The Inspector is now inline and automatically changes to the appropriate content depending on what is selected.

• Reply 46 of 67
    I have the iWork suite (originally iWork '09). First, all the apps seems to work in 10.9 as they did in 10.8.5 but software update doesn't offer me the new versions. I can't figure out what I would gain with the new versions except collaboration (which I would never use) and 64 bit apps (for which I can't see an advantage for something like Pages). Any thoughts?
  • Reply 47 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They were purchased from the Apps Store right, not on the DVD? I seem to be out of luck as all my iLife and iWorks were purchased on disk although the exact same version that was on line!

Update: I am seeing OS X iMove v10 now in free updates. Hopefully the rest will show up. I suppose only iLife though not iWork ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2 and $99 for an upgrade to v3 and will be a tiny bit frustrated if only the folks who paid $80 on the MAS will be eligible for that free upgrade!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

I have the iWork suite (originally iWork '09). First, all the apps seems to work in 10.9 as they did in 10.8.5 but software update doesn't offer me the new versions. I can't figure out what I would gain with the new versions except collaboration (which I would never use) and 64 bit apps (for which I can't see an advantage for something like Pages). Any thoughts?

I am in the same boat. Retail iWork no update. iLife updates showed up though. I might call Apple support this week when I have time.

EDIT: The updates finally showed up in Mac App Store.

• Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post

like the icons for the mac but the icons for iOS LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

No way!  The iOS icons are the coolest ones!  I wish we had a unified theme for the Mac like that!  While there are some icons that still just don't look right (Newsstand, looking at you), for the most part, the new icons have a very smooth and sophisticated look.  I'm looking forward to more!

• Reply 49 of 67
    That is FANTASTIC! About time. Can't wait to get my hands on it and test it.
  • Reply 50 of 67

I purchased a new iMac on the 7th October and added iWorks to the purchase so I hope I can get a refund or Apple store credit.

FIngers crossed.

But if not...it's not the end of the world.

I know they gave credit to iOS customers who were in the same situation.

• Reply 51 of 67

Oh dear.

In my experience, it's always a worry when installing an update from Apple does not delete the previous version (think Quicktime). At a quick look, neither Pages nor Numbers in their new version appeared in my Dock (talking about the Mac here). So I dug into Applications and launched Numbers - it broke the document I tried. Pages...it broke the document I tried.

This looks to me as though Apple have achieved iOS/OS X compatibility by removing those features in the Mac version that iOS does not support. I do hope it's not that simple but some features seem to have disappeared, certainly I have some repair work to do on some of my files (and I'm not a power user of these apps). The Numbers problem concerns conditional labelling of histograms, the Pages problem is deeper, an 8 page document has had its formatting totally rearranged (there appears now to be no distinction between word-processing and document-layout, perhaps the document has been forced into the 'other' format).

This is a first impression so I hope it gets better  :embarrass 

• Reply 52 of 67

I have only try new Pages and I must say I'm really disappointed.

All actions one click apart before, now needed, 2, 3 or 4 clicks.

They have reduce inspector palettes to one, a BIG ONE, bur only one

No more palette bar

No more customizable tool bar

No style box

No new function

Apple have just stripped palettes for less functionality without no real benefit

Just like the new mac-ashtray no HD, no optical drive, no frontal USB conector, the new Pages is less functionality only for a clearer aspect.

• Reply 53 of 67
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

No scripting support. 

We are going through the Dark Ages of software.   I struggle to come up with a recent example of a software program that has delighted me. 

• Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

The Inspector is now inline and automatically changes to the appropriate content depending on what is selected.

This is that Apple says. The reality is that the inspector can't know what you intended to do, and for most actions you need one or two more clicks than 09 version.

As a mater of fact I have returned to old version.

• Reply 55 of 67
    Originally Posted by pepechin View Post

The reality is that the inspector cant know what you intended to do

Yeah, well, when you click in to edit text, I’m PRETTY sure the Inspector switching to the text editing tools fits what I intended to do.

…for most actions you need one or two more clicks than 09 version.

Name one.

• Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:

Name one.

change text back color 1 to 3 clicks

select paragraph style 1 to 2 clicks

copy and paste attributes 1 to ....... IMPOSIBLE function eliminated!!!

(sorry I'm using Spanish version, and I don't know exact english words)

• Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:

Yeah, well, when you click in to edit text, I’m PRETTY sure the Inspector switching to the text editing tools fits what I intended to do.

If inspector is in "document" no matter what you do it doesn't changes to "format"

If inspector is in "format", and cursor in text, inspector doesn't changes last option of style/disposition/more menu in format palette.

if you select image is the same: menu doesn't changes between style/image/disposition.

So Pages NEVER know what you intended to do, you must do manually. Always.

In pages 09 you could have as many inspector palettes I need for all immediate options

But is worse than that, there's less functionality. Opposed pages options has disappeared, in fact a legacy pages 09 file with different right and left margins of pair and odd pages is opened without opposed configuration. In fact there's not even option for opposed pages view.

So, name you only one new positive change 

• Reply 58 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    pepechin wrote: »
    If inspector is in "document" no matter what you do it doesn't changes to "format"

If inspector is in "format", and cursor in text, inspector doesn't changes last option of style/disposition/more menu in format palette.
    if you select image is the same: menu doesn't changes between style/image/disposition.

So Pages NEVER know what you intended to do, you must do manually. Always.

In pages 09 you could have as many inspector palettes I need for all immediate options

But is worse than that, there's less functionality. Opposed pages options has disappeared, in fact a legacy pages 09 file with different right and left margins of pair and odd pages is opened without opposed configuration. In fact there's not even option for opposed pages view.

So, name you only one new positive change 

Collaboration seemed a pretty cool and positive change.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Don't upgrade. This is the worst update I have ever seen from Apple. I have been the biggest apple fan for years but this is terrible.

They have removed so many useful features that I reverted to iWork 09.

For instance

Numbers:
    No organize panel. So you can no longer sort a range of cells. You have to sort the whole row or column.

Removed print view. You can no longer edit a document to make things fit on a single page. You can see what it will look like but you have to back out of print view to make changes and hope the changes will work

The sidebar is gone

No more auto complete as you type... Etc etc

That's just a few things within numbers....

I was so angry I didn't bother to try pages for very long.

I'm sorry (free or not) this is a complete step backwards
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Originally Posted by Budboy View Post

I have been the biggest apple fan for years but this is terrible.

Thanks for letting us know we should ignore you early.