Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    Originally Posted by killer2239 View Post

Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX?

Because it’s completely and utterly different and you know it. Stop trolling so poorly, for heaven’s sake.

• Reply 82 of 120
    Quote:

Windows 8 cost money yes, Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX? Everyone has been paying fee's for all the OS X.x versions. I actually bet Apple decided to make it free since Windows 8.1 was free.

Lol ! your kidding me with that response right ?

Anyone can upgrade from any version of Mac OS X, starting from snow leopard released a couple of years back to OS X Maverick.

Windows 8.1 was just a version increment to Windows 8, with nothing big enough to call it Windows 9 !

Stop acting stupid :)

• Reply 83 of 120
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Lol ! your kidding me with that response right ?

Anyone can upgrade from any version of Mac OS X, starting from snow leopard released a couple of years back to OS X Maverick.

Windows 8.1 was just a version increment to Windows 8, with nothing big enough to call it Windows 9 !

Stop acting stupid :)

They don't understand the difference between a .X release. For Windows, 8.1 is more like a bug fix whereas with Apple, 10.9 is MORE features so it's a bigger upgrade than a Windows .X upgrade.  Typically MS fan ignorance.  They don't understand the differences.

He might not be able to not act stupid.  It goes with the territory.  :-)

• Reply 84 of 120
    I'm using 10.9 and it's RIPPING fast. I don't know what they did, but Safari is ripping fast. I just did a few speed tests in launching a few of my most visited sites and Safari was much faster than Firefox.
  • Reply 85 of 120
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    robfog wrote: »
    Seconded

How is it unstable? What machine is being used?

New Mac? Or why would they be free?

I bought the new air in June or July when it came out - so not a new machine, though perhaps apple consider it to be one. I'm not sure but it was a free update.
  • Reply 86 of 120
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm using 10.9 and it's RIPPING fast. I don't know what they did, but Safari is ripping fast. I just did a few speed tests in launching a few of my most visited sites and Safari was much faster than Firefox.

Hm, optimizations galore? Good to know it is so fast. What machine are you running it on?

• Reply 87 of 120
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Windows 8.1 was more about sorting out a poorly thought out windows 8. It has fixed a lot of things and is major in that sense, but it's still not the finished article. It's free because it has to be - ms have really outdone themselves from their vista days.

Mavericks on the other hand is very progressive and efficient - especially with the under the hood battery and ram features - apple is in a completely different space. ML was cheap anyway....making this free is just makes it a no brainer for everyone to upgrade.
  • Reply 88 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...

Apple is just trying to get all of the users to the latest OS version as quickly as possible for a variety of reasons.

The sooner the users shift, the sooner they don't have to take support calls on older versions of OS.  So it probably costs less in the long run, plus it's just easier for users of OS X and iOS since they are tying the two together in a lot of ways and it will just allow users to get the best experience.

"MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT."????  What do you mean?  Where do you work?   A well run IT shop should always migrate to the latest OS as soon as they can.  I've never regretted updating to a new version of OS X.    So far, this version looks quite good. I've not had ANY problems so far and everything i typically do works.

• Reply 89 of 120
    Quote:

Windows 8 cost money yes, Windows 8.1 is Free for people coming from 8. How is that any different from OSX? Everyone has been paying fee's for all the OS X.x versions. I actually bet Apple decided to make it free since Windows 8.1 was free.

You do know that .x updates on Windows are just like service packs, right? of which every .x OSX-Update got historically 5 to 12 (that is: OS 10.8.5, for example)?

.x OSX-Updates are the equivalent of a full new name/version number in Windows territory: XP, Vista, 7, 8.

If you are coming to AI talk Macs with no knowledge, you're gonna have a bad time.

• Reply 90 of 120
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

The update seems totally fine. It was a smooth installation and everything was up and running without much fuss. There's not a lot of features that i'm going to be using with this update. The newer Safari is welcome and the Maps Application is pretty convenient. Otherwise it just seems more service pack like to me with lots of under the hood stuff. I imagine people on MacBooks will appreciate the under the hood stuff more than the Mac Mini owners such as myself. I can't complain though, Apple's new strategy of providing free OSX updates along with free iLife/iWork with new Apple devices is pretty stellar change that I absolutely welcome. Just the other day I was wondering why Apple would even bother to charge $20 for an OS update as it seemed tacky, especially when the more drastic iOS 7 is free for most iPhone/iPad owners. I'm glad they thought the same thing. 

• Reply 91 of 120
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Does anybody have a link that shows how to download 10.9 so it can be loaded on a new partition?
  • Reply 92 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quaipau View Post

You do know that .x updates on Windows are just like service packs, right? of which every .x OSX-Update got historically 5 to 12 (that is: OS 10.8.5, for example)?

.x OSX-Updates are the equivalent of a full new name/version number in Windows territory: XP, Vista, 7, 8.

If you are coming to AI talk Macs with no knowledge, you're gonna have a bad time.

There are a handful of Anti Apple people trolling around spreading misleading BS because they have nothing better to do.  They are just afraid because they are seeing their beloved platform get their asses handed to them because of what Apple and Android is doing since Windows phones and tablets aren't selling and their desktop/laptop platform is eroding and they are afraid of not being part of the monopolistic BS that Microsoft has had for so long.  Microsoft and their products get little or no attention so their hard core users have to troll and mislead people because of their internal fear.

They can be VERY annoying.  I'm sure a bunch, not all, are teenage kids with the attention span of a gnat and all they do is play games, hack OS X OS to put on their POS clone box they slapped together so they can act like computer experts.

I'm surprised AI has allowed them to continue, if I was AI, they would be cut off immediately with all of their posts.

• Reply 93 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Does anybody have a link that shows how to download 10.9 so it can be loaded on a new partition?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2055518/installing-mavericks-what-you-need-to-know.html

• Reply 94 of 120

On my late 2011 8GB 17" MacBook Pro, everything feels much faster - even Firefox.

Windows open faster, boot time is reduced, and when you log into your account, ALL your "launch at login" apps immediately appear more or less simultaniously. Bam! Not sure how they do that magic!

Oddly, Mail seems to take a bit longer sorting and searching emails, but I have 20GB of emails so maybe it's busy indexing everything?

Photoshop CS6 opens at least twice as fast as it used to, and opens image files a lot faster too!

Well done Apple! A great upgrade for everyone, it seems. *kisses*

• Reply 95 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you already have it purchased, all updates remain free. It’s free to PURCHASE on new devices if you haven’t ever had it before.

I was about to ask you, 'then why don't I have any updates for these?' But then I looked at the number of updates available. I had to quite App Store and relaunch to show the individual items. lol 

• Reply 96 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I was about to ask you, 'then why don't I have any updates for these?' But then I looked at the number of updates available. I had to quite App Store and relaunch to show the individual items. lol 

Icons in Dock are not changed except for iPhoto. I launch apps, nothing looks new. I go to Applications and launch Pages, and I get the welcome screen.

I randomly selected a file to open in Pages and was told it was too old to first save in '09. After clicking open in '09, the old icon in the Dock bounces and opens Pages '09. So both copies of each of each program are active? 

Try launching the new Keynote, then which no windows open, two finger tap the icon in the Dock. Don't select anything, but then tap the desktop. Does Keynote then quite on you? 

• Reply 97 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

They had to make it free. MacOS segmentation was just killing us in IT.

Now to find out what's compatible and what's not...

I don't understand how that is any different from what every other developer on other platforms experiences. The Mac at least has a lot LESS fragmentation.

You will still have people who don't bother to update. You will just have more people on the current OS.

It's probably a lot easier to have one platform, but you may just be in a situation where you are just overworked... ;-)

• Reply 98 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

On my late 2011 8GB 17" MacBook Pro, everything feels much faster - even Firefox.

Windows open faster, boot time is reduced, and when you log into your account, ALL your "launch at login" apps immediately appear more or less simultaniously. Bam! Not sure how they do that magic!

Oddly, Mail seems to take a bit longer sorting and searching emails, but I have 20GB of emails so maybe it's busy indexing everything?

Photoshop CS6 opens at least twice as fast as it used to, and opens image files a lot faster too!

Well done Apple! A great upgrade for everyone, it seems. *kisses*

Well, when running apps are not active, there are parts in RAM and parts on the hard drive as virtual memory. So the "magic" is probably just creating a better/smarter caching structure so that they save the "virtual memory" bit separate from the active "in ram"bit, and then when they spool from disk to reactivate, they don't have to re-read everything and move parts to RAM -- they just read from disk the active memory and leave a pointer to the cache. Probably 1/10th the load it takes to come out of hibernation.

Just my guessing.

• Reply 99 of 120

Try unplugging all devices from the back of the mac to allow start up process to continue beyond the white screen.

• Reply 100 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Icons in Dock are not changed except for iPhoto. I launch apps, nothing looks new. I go to Applications and launch Pages, and I get the welcome screen.

I randomly selected a file to open in Pages and was told it was too old to first save in '09. After clicking open in '09, the old icon in the Dock bounces and opens Pages '09. So both copies of each of each program are active? 

Try launching the new Keynote, then which no windows open, two finger tap the icon in the Dock. Don't select anything, but then tap the desktop. Does Keynote then quite on you? 

iMovie icon changed, it's purple instead of yellow.  iPhone is different, I think they should have left the photo in the iPhoto icon the way it was or change it another way.  iBooks icon is also different.