Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display starts at $399, first-gen iPad mini drops to $299

Comments

• Reply 161 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Buy soap.

• Reply 162 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

LOL. Pretty happy to be wrong about the iPad mini. This is indeed a better update than I could have hoped for, and shows that Apple values the iPad mini as an equal to the iPad Air, by giving it basically the same specs. Quite possible the new mini outsells the air at these close feature sets.

This is a strange move as it will cannibalize the iPad Air like no other...but perhaps Apple thinks thats going to happen anyway, so might as well do it right.

I'm happy with the Nexus and Mini for small tablets (the only things Nexus really has over ipad, imho, is better screen quality and NFC, which I professionally use). I am getting the iPad Air as soon as order opens up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Perfect price strategy IMO.

$329 for iPadMini Retina would hurt margins and really canibalize iPadAir

$399 is really close to iPadAir price.  I'll getting an iPadAir.

For those dummies who say the Nexus 7 is cheaper go to hell:

Android is a crap OS

Google is selling these at $0 profit

Don't forget the iPadMini screen is about 40% bigger because of the narrow aspect ratio of the Nexus

Nexus lagssssssssssss

I hate using wide screen tablets in Portrait mode

Plastic crap build quality.

ipad gives you AMAZING free software

I'm sorry but for $170 more I rather get a premium product instead of cheap plastic crap that will die in 2 years.  I guarantee that in two years you will get $100 more selling your used iPadMini over the Nexus7.  So basically you are only paying $50 more.

Nexus doesn't lag, the plastic is amazingly good and what you think of using portrait mode only matters to, well, you, my dear.

Google making $0 profit also makes the opposite point of yours : cheaper to buy since you're not paying for "profit". Just saying.

I run an iPad mini (which is soon going to be supplemented by an iPad Air...) but the Nexus is an amazing machine and you're making Apple users look bad when making that kind of trollish list.

• Reply 163 of 203
    Quote:

Can I has your loot?

• Reply 164 of 203
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Another typical Tallest Skil b*tch answer. Why add "it's not that difficult to understand"? Why are you being such an ***?

Guess you missed where that desire was fine, then, huh?

The poster may perfectly understand WHY but would really love to see multiuser.

Too bad. Apple isn’t doing it. Better stop whining about nothing, then.

• Reply 165 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess you missed where that desire was fine, then, huh?

Too bad. Apple isn’t doing it. Better stop whining about nothing, then.

Yeah, because Apple has NEVER added something after enough people "whined" about it. Please, don't feedback. /s

• Reply 166 of 203
    Quote:

People were giving all type of credit to the Nexus7 last year.  Now what?  After one year in the actual world people know the truth.  The product sucks.  Constant crashes, massive battery life decreases, buggy apps, pieces falling off, ect.  Its just not high quality.  Bottom line proof is you can only sell your 12 month old Nexus7 for $25 on Gazelle.  While an iPadMini will get you a sweet $170.  So basically the difference is price is made up when you sell the device.  In fact it would cost less for iPadMini ($330-$170 = $160) vs Nexus7 ($200-$25 =$175).  So you spend more on the Nexus7 for a crappier experience.

And don't forget with the iPadmini you are getting a 40% larger screen.  You need to take that into account when comparing prices to the Nexus7.  You need to price it between the Nexus7 ($229) and Nexus10 ($399).   Thus a Nexus the same size as an iPadMini would be about $315.  So is the 'saving' $85 worth it?  Especially since you will get $150 more when you sell the mini?

And lets not talk about Nexus7 build quality.  Lets see how it stands up after 12 months.  People thought the first Nexus7 was built well until they started falling apart 6 months latter.  That's the thing with soft plastics, they break.

Nexus does lag.  All Android devices lag because of virtualization and also tests have proven the touch screen is much slower than iPad (there was an article about touch screen lag a few weeks ago).

And Google making $0 does matter.  Who do you think will offer better customer service?  A company that makes its profits and stakes its reputation on products (Apple) or a company that don't give a sheet but just wants you to use ANY PRODUCT as long as you use their services (Google).  Who do you think will phase out support first?  Or stop sending software updates?  For Google hardware don't mean sheet to them.  Its only a 'hobby' for them and could care less if people buy another brand as long as they use their services.

Obviously, you don't care that people might have a different opinion. 

I offered counter arguments, you just ignore them and repeat yourself. 

I'll repeat myself too then: the Nexus plastic is good quality, the Nexus works perfectly here after a year of operation, and so does my iPad Mini. As for profit, yes it does matter, but my point was, it strengthen the opposite argument of yours, so you might want to leave it aside. But please, go ahead.

With that, I'm off to watch a Lynda.com video on my iMac and wonder if I would enjoy it better on an iPad Air in the couch.

• Reply 167 of 203
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Yeah, because Apple has NEVER added something after enough people "whined" about it. Please, don't feedback. /s

Multiuser is as likely as Flash, frankly. It’s on the same level as thinking they’ll make an xMac or bring ODDs back.

• Reply 168 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Multiuser is as likely as Flash, frankly. It’s on the same level as thinking they’ll make an xMac or bring ODDs back.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. It's just that your response felt a bit aggressive to anyone requesting a feature from Apple, in my opinion.

By the way, I hate video training. I'd rather use a book, but nobody seems to make interactive training books. Oh, wait.

• Reply 169 of 203
    Quote:

People either get Apple products or they don't.

People either get it or they don't. 

You either get it or you don't.

It's called "blind faith".

I'll keep buying whatever pleases me (and in the case of the Nexus, I got it from the company for the company's purposes, so I'm particularly happy of the cost-to-use ratio). You're welcome to buy whatever pleases you. I do wonder, though, if you have enough money to buy multiple Android devices as part of "research to buy Apple stock" (bad decision, given the fact it's been driven down by 'analysts' for at least a year, unless I'm told wrong), why you don't start some interesting business. You certainly seem the driven type...

• Reply 170 of 203
    Quote:

Margins is the #1 concern for Apple.  PERIOD.  That's why their stock got crushed last year (2nd reason to options manipulation).  They grew revenue nicely in 2012 but margins were depressed and cause EPS to fall.  The last two moves (5C pricing and iPadMini Retina) will do wonders to margins.  Margins are the life blood of Apple.  Without high margins they cannot pour huge cash into R&D, marketing, software, top rate employees, ect.  Once Apple becomes a low even mid margin company they will become a just another brand.

1. Apple's revenue growth has slowed considerably over the last year.

2. Are you saying that high margins are a pre-requisite for eps growth or are you saying that this is specific to Apple?

• Reply 171 of 203
    Quote:

Multiuser is not a good idea for tablets.

Its as stupid as having multi user on a phone.  Adding multiple users will just cause more confusion and less efficentcy

There's little point supporting multiple users on a phone because phones are personal communication devices. On the other hand, tablets are commonly used as general purpose computers that supplant laptops and desktops entirely for many people. Why should sharing a tablet among family members be so different from sharing a laptop?

• Reply 172 of 203
    Quote:

Jun2013 Quarter had basically zero revenue growth.

The 4 quarters before that averaged about 20% revenue growth.  I'm looking for 15-25% revenue growth.

For Apple gross margins need to be around 36%-40% in their current business model to grow EPS

That sounds like keeping the status quo to me.

• Reply 173 of 203
    Quote:

15-20% revenue growth for 5 years in a row is 100% revenue growth over that period.

Apple is priced at 3% revenue growth and 3% EPS growth. 

100% revenue growth over the next 5 years, while stupendous, is below the average of the previous 5... which is why I said it sounds like status quo.

Apple's rev growth over the 12 months from July 1, 2012 until June 30th, 2013 was 13.8%. 

Personally, I can see a great holiday quarter but without a popular new product line or a reduction in margins I see negative revenue growth coming in the future.

By the way.... at present it's priced higher than 3%... but I haven't sat down to figure it out precisely.

• Reply 174 of 203
    Quote:

iWatch and iTV coming in 2014.  At least one of them.

Don't underestimate the growth in China.  Their high-middle class will number almost 800,000,000 in 5 years.  That's 4x bigger than the US middle class.

... and that underscores what I've been saying for a while. Analysts see a lot of wishing and hoping. Regardless of Apple's huge financial strength, regardless of strong quarters... there is the problem of declining revenues. The proof will be in the pudding if AAPL is to rise.

If someone isn't invested in Apple then this is of no concern at present. Apple is not going away tomorrow. For someone who is invested then it's of great concern.

• Reply 175 of 203
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

There's little point supporting multiple users on a phone because phones are personal communication devices. On the other hand, tablets are commonly used as general purpose computers that supplant laptops and desktops entirely for many people. Why should sharing a tablet among family members be so different from sharing a laptop?

Here's a few reasons:

- The average tablet is less than half the cost of the average laptop

- The average tablet has around 1/20th the storage capacity of the average laptop (a huge factor for supporting multi-user)

- The user interface for tablet software is designed to be much simpler than that of full-blown computers.  The more complexity you add (multiuser, advanced settings, etc), the more you destroy the benefit of tablets for most people.  This is the very reason why Apple was able to create a market for tablets where others had failed before -- simplicity.  Something the tech-head fandroids just don't seem to get because they only interact with other tech-heads, and they all want to just throw in every feature they can think of (and be willing to spend countless hours learning everything).  Sorry, but that's not something the vast majority of people want.

• Reply 176 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Here's a few reasons:

- The average tablet is less than half the cost of the average laptop

- The average tablet has around 1/20th the storage capacity of the average laptop (a huge factor for supporting multi-user)

- The user interface for tablet software is designed to be much simpler than that of full-blown computers.  The more complexity you add (multiuser, advanced settings, etc), the more you destroy the benefit of tablets for most people.  This is the very reason why Apple was able to create a market for tablets where others had failed before -- simplicity.  Something the tech-head fandroids just don't seem to get because they only interact with other tech-heads, and they all want to just throw in every feature they can think of (and be willing to spend countless hours learning everything).  Sorry, but that's not something the vast majority of people want.

Really?

• Reply 177 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really?

Yes.  I have a lot of experience in designing technology for use in situations where people have very little experience with (or interest in) technology.  Simple is king, and this is where the iPad has won with the general population.

Unfortunately, I also have experience trying to explain this to colleagues who have spent their whole lives learning all sorts of intricate details about technology, and can't understand why the rest of the world isn't like them.  Much like most of the Android fanatics I read posts from.

This has been repeated over and over again throughout personal computing history: the hobbyists in the 1970s who couldn't understand why someone would need all of the hardware components put together in a nice box where you just have to flip a switch to use it, the command-line power users who couldn't understand the need for a graphical user interface in the 1980s, and now the tablet users who think tablets need to be as complicated as PCs.  All of these people need to get out there and see technology in use by people outside of their circle (or internet discussion group): teachers, doctors, lawyers, artists, etc.

• Reply 178 of 203
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Yes.  I have a lot of experience in designing technology for use in situations where people have very little experience with (or interest in) technology.  Simple is king, and this is where the iPad has won with the general population.

<snip>... a bunch of other stuff... etc. etc.</snip>

All of these people need to get out there and see technology in use by people outside of their circle (or internet discussion group): teachers, doctors, lawyers, artists, etc.

My point being...

Complex does not mean that it has to be visible to the end user.

Do you keep all your controls on the desktop?

Really?

• Reply 179 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My point being...

Complex does not mean that it has to be visible to the end user.

Do you keep all your controls on the desktop?

Really?

Let's get back to the example of multi-user.  This requires a whole new layer of user interface.  A way to authenticate a user at any time: from the lock screen or switching while in mid-use.  Also a way to identify which user is currently "logged in" at any time.  It also requires a method to set up multiple accounts.  And what happens if a FaceTime (or similar) call comes in for another user account?  I could keep going with more and more intricate details like this as I think about it more, all of which add complexity to the user interface and the function of the device.

Look, it's the same as the world of PCs: for those who really need to control and do everything and/or want to tinker, there's Linux (or one of the BSD variants).  For those who just want to get a task related to their main interests (other than technology itself) done with as little complication as possible, there's OS X.  Same goes for Android vs Apple tablets.  Each one is "right" for the each different type of user, and it's just silly for one group to argue that the other group needs to be more like them.

• Reply 180 of 203
    Quote:

Perfect price strategy IMO.

$329 for iPadMini Retina would hurt margins and really canibalize iPadAir

$399 is really close to iPadAir price.  I'll getting an iPadAir.

For those dummies who say the Nexus 7 is cheaper go to hell:

Android is a crap OS

Google is selling these at $0 profit

Don't forget the iPadMini screen is about 40% bigger because of the narrow aspect ratio of the Nexus

Nexus lagssssssssssss

I hate using wide screen tablets in Portrait mode

Plastic crap build quality.

ipad gives you AMAZING free software

I'm sorry but for $170 more I rather get a premium product instead of cheap plastic crap that will die in 2 years.  I guarantee that in two years you will get $100 more selling your used iPadMini over the Nexus7.  So basically you are only paying $50 more.

There's irony in that Android (for next 5-10 yrs anyway) WILL be around in at least moderate force (i.e. a "win"), but looks like iOS is winning in usability/web use/etc.  What does that mean?  It  means that for all Google is investing in Android and "winning" in marketshare, its mobile search/ad is losing.  Google is known as a search/ad MACHINE!  This year and next year will prove that goog's machine is stagnating in mobile space.  This is big because mobile is gaining universal attention as the platform of choice (as opposed to desktop platform).

Look for Goog to make desperate moves in mobile, perhaps strong arming clients and/or making ad impressions super cheap.  When you see this, take it to mean that goog is admitting it is NOT indeed winning with Android.