Amazon taunts Apple's new iPads, advertises smaller Kindle Fire HDX as 'lighter than Air'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In response to Apple's new iPads, Amazon took a direct shot at its competitor on the front page of its website Wednesday, saying the Kindle Fire HDX is "lighter than Air" --?even though the new Kindle achieves that weight with a smaller display.

Amazon

The advertisement is a not-so-subtle jab at Apple's new iPad Air, which shaves nearly a half-pound off the weight of its predecessor to drop to just one pound.

While the Kindle Fire HDX weighs in at 0.82 pounds for the $379 Wi-Fi-only model, it achieves that weight with a screen size of just 8.9 inches. Apple's iPad Air, in contrast, has a larger 9.7-inch Retina display with more screen real estate.

Both devices are also unsurprisingly heavier than Apple's new iPad mini with Retina display, which sports a 7.9-inch screen. Apple's smallest tablet weighs 0.73 pounds in its Wi-Fi-only variety.

Amazon also offers a 7-inch version of its Kindle Fire HDX tablet. It too edges the Retina iPad mini in weight, at just 0.66 pounds, but also sports a screen size nearly a full inch smaller diagonally in the process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 139
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Of course it's lighter than the iPad Air. It's only a 32 bit processor and a smaller screen.

And for a smaller screen and lessor processor, the weight difference isn't that big. Oops.

Amazon, go pick better battles.
  • Reply 2 of 139
    A piece of crap should weigh nothing .
  • Reply 3 of 139
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the Kindle Fire HDX weighs in at 0.82 pounds for the $379 Wi-Fi-only model, it achieves that weight with a screen size of just 8.9 inches. Apple's iPad Air, in contrast, has a larger 9.7-inch Retina display with more screen real estate.

So, basically, “Not Legally Comparable to Air” would be a better tagline.

• Reply 4 of 139
    Didn't know about this Kindle Fire HDX before, thanks for the tip! Is has 2x the CPU power these A7 iPads have, and a better resolution than Retina, and a 8MP camera as well. And it's lighter on the wallet than iPad Air / iPad Mini Retina.

LOL, gonna pick one Fire HDX up really soon!
  • Reply 5 of 139
    I wish apple has something up its sleeve for the first half of 2014, not like this year that they waited till summer and im betting they do have something to show us and other companies to copy.
  • Reply 6 of 139
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's only a 32 bit processor 

64 bits weigh twice as much as 32 bits, right?

• Reply 7 of 139
    Quote:

Of course it's lighter than the iPad Air. It's only a 32 bit processor

Can't tell if serious...

• Reply 8 of 139

All this does is make Amazon look cheap in my eyes.

• Reply 9 of 139
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    I guess it would be stupid to run an ad, "Smaller than an iPad!" Stupid, but honest.
  • Reply 10 of 139
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And it's slower than the iPad to boot, while lacking the quality app selection!

I love Kindle... on my iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 139
    Quote:

Of course it's lighter than the iPad Air. It's only a 32 bit processor and a smaller screen.

Say whaatttt?  

• Reply 12 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I suppose people will say this is fair game because Apple took a couple shots at Microsoft yesterday but this is pretty stupid considering the devices aren't the same size. It's not really a fair comparison. If the Fire HDX was 9.7" would it weigh less than a pound? As far as the screen being better is that based on a side by side comparison of each in use or just based on numbers on a spec sheet?
  • Reply 13 of 139
    All this does is make Amazon look cheap in my eyes.

Yep.

Well, I guess if one has the lesser of products to offer buyers, one attempts to emphasize whatever positives one can.
  • Reply 14 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gotapple wrote: »
    Didn't know about this Kindle Fire HDX before, thanks for the tip! Is has 2x the CPU power these A7 iPads have, and a better resolution than Retina, and a 8MP camera as well. And it's lighter on the wallet than iPad Air / iPad Mini Retina.

LOL, gonna pick one Fire HDX up really soon!

It also has sticky black plastic all over, very reminiscent of Finnish licorice!
  • Reply 15 of 139
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

The iPad Air's 4x3 9.7" screen is over 33% larger than the Kindle Fire HDX's 16x9 8.9" screen. It is a lot more than the "0.8 inches" would imply. The iPad is in a different class altogether.

It's even larger comparing the 7.9" iPad mini to the Nexus 7. The iPad mini's screen is 43% larger. The "Fandroids" who harp on and on about the "small" iPhone screen seem to ignore the size difference when lumping the iPad mini into the "7-inch" category.

• Reply 16 of 139
    The App Store is much lighter than Apple's, too.

Still, it's a fairly clever ad even if comparing apples and oranges.
  • Reply 17 of 139
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    crowley wrote: »
    64 bits weigh twice as much as 32 bits, right?

well, that and the fact there are fewer apps shipped with it, making it that much lighter ... but i'll leave the exact math to you.
  • Reply 18 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh and Amazon is actually down over 2% today while Apple is up. :D
  • Reply 19 of 139
    There is only one iPad Air that's for sure. SMH @ Amazon.
  • Reply 20 of 139
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Love that smaller device actually being lighter!  INNOVATION!

LOL, but hey that's one way they used to get "diet" bread: slices were half the thickness.....