Apple's cylindrical Mac Pro will debut in Dec. starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 141 of 285
    relic wrote: »
    [SIZE=16px]A change of pace...[/SIZE]

from all this talk about DIY hodgepodges...

I've been running Mavericks since WWDC and have 2 Thunderbolt Promise Pegasus RAIDS and a Cinema Display attached to an iMac 27".

I just noticed this emphasis mine):
    http://www.apple.com/au/mac-pro/performance/

I think this is implemented in Mavericks as:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!
    Cool, if it pans out than a stack of 5 Mac Mini's is defiantly going on my Christmas list this year.

Well, the only other Thunderbolt Mac that's handy to test on is a Mini,,, Sadly, I must upgrade it to Mavericks first... so it will be a while :rolleyes:

Sigh... That was an older Mac Mini -- it doesn't have Thunderbolt -- just that display adapter that looks like a Thunderbolt port... So, I can't easily experiment with IP over Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 142 of 285
    [QUOTE name="drblank" url="/t/160298/apples-cylindrical-mac-pro-will-debut-in-dec-starting-at-2-999/80#post_2422684"]

I don't need to read anyone's assumptions.  You shouldn't have any assumptions.  

Fast SSD is only available on PCI card slots right now and that's $1000 or more just for that.  

[/QUOTE]

it appears you didn't read my posts.  as such, you're simply raging against a straw man of your making.

with respect to a reasonably fast PCIe SSD with 256GB, we have 
    [URL=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-020-MX]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-020-MX[/URL] since VAT does not apply to North America, 300 pound sterling is just over $500
  • Reply 143 of 285
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Think of the possibilities: Buy a dozen, or so, high-end Mac Pros and use them as a render farm from your Mac Mini or iMac... Now, that's Jazz!

That isn't terribly cost effective. Companies tend to use some of the more costly cpus (not necessarily the most expensive ones) in render farms due to software licensing terms, limited space, etc. These would be obscenely expensive for that kind of workload. You would most likely be better off with a string of minis if you aren't dealing with GB of texture data where available memory and access to drive space would be constrained. These are definitely designed as single user workstations.

Of course the minis also run into the software licensing cost issue that I mentioned, but I can't think of any macs that people would buy specifically to build a render farm. You don't need them to be macs simply because your primary workstation is one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

that's like 3K less than I was expecting. wow.

How many would they really sell if the entry level was $6k? There is typically some amount of stratification. A shop might purchase several mac pros without them all using identical configurations. I don't see how locking it to such a high entry point would help the line. As it is they are likely positioning it as a lower volume product, although that works as long as the line is sustainable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That price is amazing.

Just amazing.

How do you guys figure? These are definitively entry level specs for the type of machine offered. Don't get me wrong. I fully expected them to  either make use of the lower tier firepro cards and entry level quad Xeons to control costs or raise the price. I didn't really expect both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Both MATLAB and Cadence support OpenCL but CUDA is a lot more mature. Give it time, if these new Mac's take off so will OpenCL. I still prefer CUDA though, as a programmer, there are a whole lot more code examples out there for CUDA over OpenCL. 

What is CUDA like in terms of raw features?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Here is a list of XEON CPU's, I don't see the 3.7Ghz one, the performance should be fairly close to the Xeon E5-2637 v2 though.  Anyway, here is a performance chart to go with them. It will give you some idea. The CPU that most interests me is the Xeon E5-2650 v2, price, performance, power ration is off the charts.

That's because it's a 1600 variant. They did the same thing 2009-2012. It isn't a bad way of cutting costs, but it doesn't look like a great offering for $3k, especially with possible indirect costs of updated peripherals and things.

• Reply 144 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Ouch.

No kidding.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 145 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Wouldn't you be disappointed with the pricing announced for an entry level machine? Especially considering how close Apple was to dumping the Mac Pro for good due to poor sales. This isn't an invitation to volume sales at all, it is more of an insult to users with a bit of technical know how. Mind you the Mac Pro comes with a power cord, that is it.

By the way I'm not saying the hardware isn't worth it in this model, frankly I haven't even looked closely. What I'm saying is that Apple needs a model that can sell in volume to assure the mac Pros future. A desktop machine that starts at $3000 is just stupid.

Yes.  Agreed.

£2500.  Yeesh.  Makes the price hiked iMacs look good value for money.

...and I thought the Power Mac was getting expensive when they had a model at £1500 in the old days.

It's a powerful entry machine.  2x GPUs is land mark territory.  (For Apple. :P)  £2500 for a Quad core?  Mmm.  6 core?  So, to get a 6 core model now you have to pay wayyyy more?  It's pricey.  Did we expect otherwise?  The SSD next gen is standard.  Is this the same as the stuff in the Air or Pro?  Or is it even faster?

How come Apple's desktops start way higher than their laptops..?

Take away that 2nd GPU and it looks Apple mark up.  No wonder there were crickets chirping when Phil revealed the price.  Even the Cube price didn't instill that much sticker price shock...

The new Mac Pro.  Comes with a power cord.

Yes.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 146 of 285

They could easily bung in an i7 and a 780MX gpu with the SSD in the Air and price it below £2k.

You're very high up the ladder to get on the ladder...at £2500.

We'll see how sales go...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 147 of 285
    hmm wrote: »
    That isn't terribly cost effective. Companies tend to use some of the more costly cpus (not necessarily the most expensive ones) in render farms due to software licensing terms, limited space, etc. These would be obscenely expensive for that kind of workload. You would most likely be better off with a string of minis if you aren't dealing with GB of texture data where available memory and access to drive space would be constrained. These are definitely designed as single user workstations.

Of course the minis also run into the software licensing cost issue that I mentioned, but I can't think of any macs that people would buy specifically to build a render farm. You don't need them to be macs simply because your primary workstation is one.

Lighten up -- it was a joke, man!
  • Reply 148 of 285

Or just gaffer tape a 680 MX onto power hot rodded Mini to give Wizard the Machine he wants...

There's a massive gap between the top end iMac and entry Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 149 of 285
    Quote:

Heh, heh.

Like Apple's sticker price for the entry model...

It was a joke, right Phil?  Right?

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 150 of 285
    Here's an interesting read:

[B][U][SIZE=4]New Mac Pro Gives Apple More Business Gravitas[/SIZE][/U][/B]

[QUOTE][SIZE=3][B]Apple's New Mac Pro: What You Need to Know[/B][/SIZE]

So, on the hardware side, the new Mac Pro looks good from a small to mid-sized business usage perspective. With the new Mavericks OS and its business features such as support for the SMB network file system (for integration with Windows systems); RAID (0, 1, 10); a virtual file stack for accessing various file systems such as NTFS; Active Directory, and LDAP support — just to name a few — you are looking at a complete small business server that should suit the needs of many enterprises.
    Add to Mavericks running on the new Mac Pro the updated OS X Server app, and you have even more business functionality: DHCP, DNS, Xsan, and more.[/QUOTE]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426139,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ziffdavis/pcmag/breakingnews+(PCMag.com+Breaking+News)
  • Reply 151 of 285
    It's amazing how many people don't even KNOW what a Mac Pro is!!!! I just did a survey at a Boston movie theater for the new Mac Pro ad in Sept 2013, and out of 40 surveys, near 1/2 the people claimed they had owned a Mac Pro!? "Macbook Pro" maybe%u2026 but I'm an engineering student and a computer geek and I've yet to even MEET anyone that's owned one! I'm still curious how, in the world of square computer chips, RAM, drives, PCI slots, graphics cards, yada, yada, Apple has made something cylindrical? I just possibly fried a logic board in an old A1181 Macbook doing a simple RAM upgrade and discovered a horribly designed top case cable that just hangs into a RAM bay ASKING for trouble, so I hope Apple hasn't made this thing a proprietary mess to work on or upgrade.
  • Reply 152 of 285
    Originally Posted by Kevk74 View Post

I'm still curious how, in the world of square computer chips, RAM, drives, PCI slots, graphics cards, yada, yada, Apple has made something cylindrical?

Have you seen the inside of it? That’s how.

…so I hope Apple hasn’t made this thing a proprietary mess to work on or upgrade.

You realize you’re talking about Apple, right?

• Reply 153 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

...in the mean time, please stop your ridiculous attempts to try to figure out a clone box in place of a MacPro.  There are lots of folks that won't even LOOK at a PC clone box for a variety of reasons, so please don't put out misleading BS just to try to act like you know what you are talking about.

Your first mistake was to try to compare an Apple product to some hodge podge clone box. the only people that do that are dishonest people that don't respect companies like Apple.  Professionals don't like running Hackintosh systems due to the lack of support, wasting time throwing together something just to save a couple of dollars.

OS X users are just going to pick the best Apple product and Windows/Linux users will just pick what's the best of the box to run their OS and only IDIOTS use Hackintosh systems.    Those people are dishonest trolls that don't respect the companies that design and make the products they use.

I don't know what your problem is, but your 'holier-than-thou' attitude is not appreciated. We are just having a discussion here, and 'Relic' is providing a 'thought experiment' outlining how one might create a Hackintosh moster that might equal or exceed what Apple is providing in the new MP. There is no need for your name calling. I expect your next post to be in ALL CAPS so you can shout even louder.

Give it a break and lower your blood pressure! There's no need to take everything personally.

• Reply 154 of 285
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OcelotWreak View Post

I don't know what your problem is, but your 'holier-than-thou' attitude is not appreciated. We are just having a discussion here, and 'Relic' is providing a 'thought experiment' outlining how one might create a Hackintosh moster that might equal or exceed what Apple is providing in the new MP. There is no need for your name calling. I expect your next post to be in ALL CAPS so you can shout even louder.

Give it a break and lower your blood pressure! There's no need to take everything personally.

My blood pressure is fine.  There is NOTHING that has the same specs at the same price as the new MacPros.

Sorry, but Hackintosh is NOT SUPPORTED OR LEGAL and PROFESSIONALS don't use Hackintosh.  

• Reply 155 of 285
    Quote:

You and Relic are suggesting something that is equivalent of criminal behavior and you think I have a problem?

Look in the mirror, pal.  Hackintosh systems are NOT supported by Apple nor are the legal use of the OS licensing.

Does someone have to imprint this on your forehead for you to wake up?  Seriously, DON'T get sucked into criminal behavior because that's what a Hackintosh system really is.  

• Reply 156 of 285
    Quote:

Why don't you just STOP your criminal behavior and NOT get involved with a NON-SUPPORTED and ILLEGAL use of the OS?

I wish AI would cut ANYONE that even suggests using Hackintosh on their website and get rid of the trolls once and for all.  It would allow everyone else to have better conversations that are meaningful.

• Reply 157 of 285

Not cut off the Hackintoshers, but collectively agree that they don’t represent any valid opinions in the points they make.

• Reply 158 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not cut off the Hackintoshers, but collectively agree that they don’t represent any valid opinions in the points they make.

I say cut them off and tell their parents.  They are promoting criminal behavior that's also non-supported and it's basically a WASTE of time/energy trying to reason with people that don't understand the fundamentals like LEGAL and ILLEGAL, SUPPORTED and NON-SUPPORTED.

• Reply 159 of 285
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

I think this is implemented in Mavericks as:

System Preferences--->Network--->Thunderbolt Bridge

AFICT, this gives IP over Thunderbolt! If true, then any/all of your Thunderbolt Macs could be interconnected.

Looks like I lost a bet with Marvin (joking, refers to an old thread).

Quote:

Sorry about that. Sometimes (well frequently) I read everything seriously from one post to the next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

My blood pressure is fine.  There is NOTHING that has the same specs at the same price as the new MacPros.

Sorry, but Hackintosh is NOT SUPPORTED OR LEGAL and PROFESSIONALS don't use Hackintosh.  

I'll clarify that I don't use or own a hackintosh. I used to frequent the hackintosh forums though. What you'll notice is that many of those guys also own macbook pros or airs. They're mostly hobbyists. Otherwise Apple would have sent cease and desist orders to many of those sites long ago.

• Reply 160 of 285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Looks like I lost a bet with Marvin (joking, refers to an old thread).

Sorry about that. Sometimes (well frequently) I read everything seriously from one post to the next.

I'll clarify that I don't use or own a hackintosh. I used to frequent the hackintosh forums though. What you'll notice is that many of those guys also own macbook pros or airs. They're mostly hobbyists. Otherwise Apple would have sent cease and desist orders to many of those sites long ago.

I don't care what they own, if they are using OS X on a non-Apple product, then that is a violation of the license agreement and they need to wake up and become more in line with the licensing contracts and quit playing childish hobbyist BS.  To people such as myself, these people come off as mentally underdeveloped in the area of business sense.