Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 201
    Quote:

... while owners of boxed editions and those who purchased the apps through the Mac App Store can upgrade for no fee. 

Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

• Reply 22 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Sounds like Frank Shaw is taking a page out of Ballmer's BS book.

Obviously, people don't NEED a fully feature rich Office apps on a tablet. Personally, I don't think that many people actually use all of the functionality of any app on the desktop and a tablet is more for simplified use. People use tablets differently than a desktop and bloating an app with a kagillion features bloats the app, and makes it overly complicated.

So, in some ways, Microsoft is doing what they do and it's not working because the market says so.

I think Microsoft execs are just full of their own BS to realize that people don't NEED all of those features. I've never met a single person that used 100% of the features of any Microsoft application. Most people use about 20% of the features routinely.

If Microsoft was smart, they would have come out with Office for the iPad and see what people buy. They are blaming Apple for their own internal problems. What IDIOTS.
  • Reply 23 of 201

I'll bet there aren't that many things that people are requesting for Numbers and Pages other than superficial changes, but I'm sure as time goes on, Apple will add the features they get a lot of requests for, just like they do for any application.

Microsoft should get off their collective asses and come out with Office for iOS and see what people buy and use.  Otherwise, they should keep their pie hole CLOSED. 

• Reply 24 of 201
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    got nothing good to say about yourself? talk trash about the competition. applies to both politics and business.
  • Reply 25 of 201
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    How many corporate executives will have to eat their trash talking about Apple before they understand it is a bad idea?
  • Reply 26 of 201

I thinking Microsoft is scared...very scared...and it ain't even Halloween yet! Surface 2 the rescue...not! LMAO!

• Reply 27 of 201
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I would suggest that Office and Powerpoint are not feature rich apps.  

They were feature rich apps by the standards of 20 years ago.

Now it's no big whoop to create an alternative that's compatible with Microsoft Office.

Google docs.  iWork.  Pages.  TextEdit.

What's so great about Microsoft Office in 2013?  It's time to let go of the familiar that has value only because it's familiar.

• Reply 28 of 201

I'm sure this mindless rant will convince people to buy a Surface to type all of their documents.

I think we are on a trend where common software is subsidized by hardware and/or services.  Microsoft may be based on a failing software-centric business model.  Especially since they don't seem to understand how to create a hardware-centric model if the Surface (hybrid product for a market that doesn't exist) is what they came up with.

• Reply 29 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When will they stop trying so hard to look stupid...

They don't have to try very hard to look stupid, for Microsoft execs it comes naturally.  Especially when they start talking like Ballmer.

Shaw sounds like another Ballmer clone trying to get attention.

And everyone NEEDS a kickstand that goes click, click.  /s

• Reply 30 of 201

"...and yet offer more storage, both onboard...

Hasn't this shown to be false?

• Reply 31 of 201
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    Lol go back to sleep Frank!!
  • Reply 32 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When will they stop trying so hard to look stupid...

Fortunately for them, each time they do it less of their customers hear it. 

• Reply 33 of 201
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

For it to even be a level playing field MS would have to make Office and Office 365 FREE.

• Reply 34 of 201

What will be funny is when, a couple of months after finally releasing MSOffice for iOS, they're forced to admit that they make more selling their iOS app than selling any of their Surface products!

I can't wait!

• Reply 35 of 201
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Abu Dhabi, "where the only thing hotter than the weather are the new Windows devices unveiled by Nokia this week."

Seriously? This guy is the Vice President of Communications?

• Reply 36 of 201
    Fine words from the company that brought us the all-conquering Zune! The message is we still think that people are going to buy tablets so that they can do office work round the clock - they just don't get it. Word processors and spreadsheets are not the only vehicles for productivity. Garage Band may be ridiculed as an app that helps one 'kill time', but it also happens to be a brilliant tool for creating and playing music and in educational terms it is without equal. It is immensely powerful, easy to learn and innovative - in short having this one app installed massively increases the value of the device. The same applies to iMovie and iPhoto and some of the other amazing apps. that differentiate Apple from the competition. Keynote is better than Powerpoint and now it's free!
    My son went to New York for his honeymoon and when he was over there got caught up in all the hype and bought a Surface, assuming that the app eco-structure would develop like Apple's. That didn't happen. I've not seen him use it for anything because it doesn't offer anything that his laptop doesn't do better and that's the nub of it. People don't want a device that just runs desktop apps, where's the incentive to splash the cash unless it does something better, something different to their office PC?
  • Reply 37 of 201
    anant wrote: »
    Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

Aperture worked for me. Had to visit MAS then saw the price. Opened Aperture. Said it could no longer read my iPhoto library unless it upgraded. Went back to the MAS and it now said Upgrade.

If you bought them yesterday, I would request a refund. Prior to that? Think you may be out if luck.
  • Reply 38 of 201
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    Sent from his iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 201
    For the record, Microsoft, I had two friends do clean installs of Mavericks in the past 24 hours. Both decided they no longer needed Office. One had iWork 09, the other with iWork 08. The one with iWork 08 actually paid for iWork today to get the upgrades
  • Reply 40 of 201
    Office is a highly functional software suite, and I would happily use it on iOS. The best scenario for me is iPad with Office. Surface is just fugly and unfun, but Office is the standard. Apple design, apple fun software, and MS document software.