Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 201
    What a high paying troll. He can say this because MS has a lock on the OS department around the world. They collect their licensing fee while the tech companies clutter the hell out of Best Buy,Walmart etc with tons of OEM sh** powered by Windows. But Surface is a joke. It can't run FULL WINDOWS. It runs a WINDOWS-ESQUE APP that looks like you're running full Windows.
    And I use Pages and Numbers(love it) and I'm balling like Lebron! I'm also getting the 128 gig iPad Air and the retina equipped iPad mini by Xmas. So MS can... off.!
  • Reply 62 of 201

Now that Apple is giving away iWork and MacOS for free, it is doing what Google does with Android, Chrome OS and GoogleDocs. This leaves Microsoft as virtually the only vendor charging for OS and apps for word processing, email, spreadsheets and presentation. 

• Reply 63 of 201
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Surface pro 2 is a damn joke. I saw a picture of the internals on Anandtec and I noticed that it has two fans inside, and it's also thick. Who the hell wants to use something that lame? It's no tablet, it's just a laptop that doesn't come with a real keyboard. The whole concept is stupid.

If somebody wants the best laptop, just buy a Macbook, if somebody wants the best tablet, just buy an iPad.

What's next? Is microsoft going to release an amazing new device for the kitchen? An oven and refrigerator built into one?

The surface is simply put a stupid concept.
  • Reply 64 of 201

iWork for a living. I use Numbers and Pages, mostly Numbers, for work.  On my iPad 3rd gen.

I use Adobe Reader to keep track of Organic Certificates.

I use Recipe Book App to make dinner, dessert, breakfast, snacks.

I use iMuscle2 to create workouts.

I watch recorded TV shows on the iPad while riding my Air-Dyne.

I use Calendar and Reminders all the time for meetings, reminders to write checks.

I use the BofA App to deposit checks (mostly on the iPhone).

I use FaceBook Pages App to keep up my business' page.

Yes, I can do a lot of this from my iMac at home too... but I can and DO use my iOS devices to keep my biz going. 

iWork for a living, and I do it with my iPad, iPhone and iMac. 

Yes, I play Carmageddon and Pool Break to kill time sometimes.

Should we start an 'iWork for a living' campaign? 

Vaporland posted a quote that sums these comments up completely.

• Reply 65 of 201
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    You gather all the people in the world who love complexity, who just revel in finding needles in haystacks, who seek out the circuitous route and shun the straight shot, people who despise Occam's razor and adore Rube Goldberg. Then you have them form a software company. You just created Microsoft.
  • Reply 66 of 201
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    [QUOTE]The Surface and Surface 2 are less expensive than the iPad 2 and iPad Air respectively, and yet offer more storage, both onboard and in the cloud.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but they aren't constructed with the level of precision and quality. MS Surface is very nice, especially in comparison to most Android-based tablets, but it's not Apple-level. But let's assume for the sake of argument that they cost exactly the same to make and yet Apple charges more; of course they can because people desire their product. Not only is Apple selling out MS can't sell enough to profit from their efforts. MS is even paying Delta (or heavily reducing their inferior product) to use them across the line. It's a smart business move but it's still a sign that their product isn't desirable.

[QUOTE]…come with full versions of Office 2013, including Outlook, not non-standard, non-cross-platform, imitation apps that can’t share docs with the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

As Gruber noted, Office isn't a "standard". Those apps are also highly limited on the RT version and not at all idealized for a small touchscreen environment.

PS: It's dangerous for MS to say "offers more storage." That could be seen as offering more available on-board storage to the user as opposed offering higher-capacity storage for a given device. Windows is excessively large that MS can't start with 16GB on their device. This is not a pro for MS.
  • Reply 67 of 201
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Sports used to teach youth to be good losers, willing to praise the winning team. Microsoft seems led by bad sports who can only mock and criticize the success of others.

If Apple's success doesn't mean they're doing something right, then what are we to make of Microsoft's former successes?
  • Reply 68 of 201
    Those assholes in Microsoft didn't realize yet that people want entertainment tablets? If they wanted tablets for work they'd fucking buying Windows tablets.
  • Reply 69 of 201
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    mavericks wrote: »
    Those assholes in Microsoft didn't realize yet that people want entertainment tablets? If they wanted tablets for work they'd fucking buy Windows tablets.

And they they choose a wide-screen aspect ratio that is designed to be used in landscape mode. This is a huge failing and shortcoming on MS's part.
  • Reply 70 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

As clueless as ever it seems. From what I remember that "entertainment device" didn't need $1 billion in write-downs. And I'm sure Apple is ever so upset that their "entertainment device" has sold 150 million units and has made them countless 10s of billions of dollars.

Slight correction...

There...all better.  ;)

• Reply 71 of 201

I am so tired of hearing people label the iPad an "entertainment device" as if there is anything wrong with that.  I take my iPad with me where I used to have to take my MacBook Pro.  I can get important "work" done on it when I have to and then have it be my "entertainment device".  If you want more than that then by all means, get a Surface. If all that bloat is what floats your boat, then the iPad is not the right "work" tool for you.

I love my iPad because the "entertainment" and the creation of my music with the various apps I use is number 1.  At the same time, if I have to write a paper or edit some word or excel documents, the iPad is more than capable of doing that too.  So Mr. Shaw, keep touting your Surface and if people really want their tablet to be their PC, you'll be able to sell some.  As for me and the 170 million people that have already bought iPads, we're not missing anything. We are happy with our entertainment device.

• Reply 72 of 201
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

It appears we will always remain divided, Apple vs MS and everything PC. I live and breath in Apple work environment, iPhone, iMac, Mac Pro, iPad...I enjoy using every piece. What MS geeks or Apple-haters don't get is we "enjoy" using our devices. I get my work, entertainment and everything else all done here. This is coming from a person that has always own PCs along side my Mac gears.

I enjoy the challenge of building my own PCs that runs on unstable, virus-targeted Windows OS! Some days I even enjoy troubleshooting it. But honestly, I prefer my low-maintenance Mac devices more: simplicity, functional, reliable and durable. I will always keep a PC around, but old-age wisdom says, "grass isn't always greener on the other side"!

Every successful brand has it's own die-hard followers, Apple is no different. As long as they keep innovating, I could careless what PC geeks say Apple products, since they don't use any.

• Reply 73 of 201

Windows 8.1 Pro + Windows Office Pro = $600

Mavericks + iWorks = Free

Which bundle actually works and is more productive?

Apple 

• Reply 74 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I am so tired of hearing people label the iPad an "entertainment device"...<snip>

Exactly.  Tell international airline pilots, professors, engineers, marine navigators, military personnel, surgeons, business/enterprise executives of almost every stripe around the world that they're not very bright; using an "entertainment device".

Even if MS offered a tablet more than a few people wanted, this is not the way to go about winning friends and influencing people.  It's childish sour grapes. 

Microsoft's insecurity and self-loathing is at an all time high.  Very sad.

• Reply 75 of 201
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

It's all perfect common sense. Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro are the top selling tablets even though they haven't been released yet and no one has used them. Can't you all see the logic in this?

• Reply 76 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

iWork for a living. I use Numbers and Pages, mostly Numbers, for work.  On my iPad 3rd gen.

I use Adobe Reader to keep track of Organic Certificates.

I use Recipe Book App to make dinner, dessert, breakfast, snacks.

I use iMuscle2 to create workouts.

I watch recorded TV shows on the iPad while riding my Air-Dyne.

I use Calendar and Reminders all the time for meetings, reminders to write checks.

I use the BofA App to deposit checks (mostly on the iPhone).

I use FaceBook Pages App to keep up my business' page.

Yes, I can do a lot of this from my iMac at home too... but I can and DO use my iOS devices to keep my biz going. 

iWork for a living, and I do it with my iPad, iPhone and iMac. 

Yes, I play Carmageddon and Pool Break to kill time sometimes.

Should we start an 'iWork for a living' campaign? 

Vaporland posted a quote that sums these comments up completely.

Brilliant, Bro! :)

• Reply 77 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Oh, and it's not exactly inaccurate to call iWork "watered down" because it is.  It's not nearly as powerful as the dungheap that is M$ Office.  Apple could fix that, but they haven't been trying.  People really do want that feature mix, and if it were in a decent program, Apple could take over the office software market.

I wonder what percentage of MS Office users utilize more than 10% (actually, let's make it 5%) of all of its "feature-bloated" functionality.

I'd guess that no more than 5% of actual Office users use more than 5% of Office's functionality, so if iWork theoretically had 5% of all of Office's functionality (also the most-used functions), then it would be perfectly suitable for 95% of the market.

• Reply 78 of 201

Windows 8 : Yesterday's Technology Tomorrow!

"Real Work......

There's no more fun than throwing a load of bricks in the back

and taking a couple turns around the track.

It's just mass times energy, baby!"

....says S.B. of WA.

• Reply 79 of 201

Having now used the new version of Numbers (for Mac) I can say that Microsoft can begin the celebration.  The new iWork is atrocious. Much-reduced functionality, to the point that it is virtually useless for my business needs now. Apple has ruined a good product and is in the process of alienating newfound enterprise customers.  Fortunately iWork 2009 still works.  For the time being.  But if Apple doesn't fix the deficiencies in the 2013 edition soon, I'll have no choice but to move to different software. Perhaps a different platform. Apple has begun an anti-switcher campaign.  Very sad.

• Reply 80 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whoda View Post

My iWorks documents share just fine with their MS counterparts. Its a joy to be able to work with great productivity software at home and have no compatibility issues when I have to bring my docs back to work.

Just wait until you try using the new iWork2013 suite.  You may change your tune.