Updates to Aperture, Final Cut & Logic will tap into horsepower of new Mac Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Absolutely the dumbest post I've read to date. You are obviously a point and shot camera phone user who has no clue about using pro software to support a business. Please stay out of these type of discussions. You lack of understanding is boundless.

Do you have any rebuttal to what I’ve said or are you just pretending I’m wrong in the hope I’ll go away?

• Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you have any rebuttal to what I’ve said or are you just pretending I’m wrong in the hope I’ll go away?

I think your obtuse and pointless statement was rebuttal enough that you have no clue to photography... You need more?

• Reply 43 of 58
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I think your obtuse and pointless statement was rebuttal enough that you have no clue to photography... You need more?

As the statement was about software and in no way related to photography, I find that funny.

• Reply 44 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Wow, that's terrible reading of my post.   Basically, it's a minor update bug and feature wise, and introduces some new issues that are amazing to have made it through.  It has nothing to do with anything you have posted, which is your usual.

I don't consider iCloud photo sharing a big deal, as it's nothing to do with sharing of the Aperture projects, just more photo sharing.  Smugmug?  Already been doing this with a plugin.  Fixes in Faces?  Places?  Maps?  iLife thumbnails?  A few bug fixes (which have mostly been hanging around for way too long) and they left many out.  It's an incremental update that's disappointing considering what Aperture needs to fix to stay competitive beyond its cheaper price.   We all await version 4 around Xmas.

Try this, Skil. Do you have Aperture 3.5 installed with Mavericks? Put a floating window on your second monitor. Leave Aperture and come back. The window has disappeared and is somewhere back on your main monitor. Now I can't use a second monitor because it won't keep a floating window on it?

As someone that uses Aperture daily I have just done some tests. The new version has increased scrolling speeds and overall responsiveness phenomenally. I have 30,000 RAW images in the library I tested. There is more to this update than meets the eye. The iCloud sharing is very useful to me for showing clients work and now allowing video too is a huge benefit.

By the way, I can leave floating pallets on any screen and leave Aperture and return and they stay where they were. It sounds to me like you have a screwed up OS X installation or damaged hard drive directory. This may explain many of your complaints in general. For example, white balance works perfectly for me. As do the many plug ins I have.

I would suggest getting DiskWarrior and booting to another drive and checking the directories of your working drives. This sounds more than the usual issue fixable with Disk Utilities. I have run DW with Mavericks it it worked fine but do check with the creators for compatibility first as older versions may not be. I have version 4.4.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

I've loved Apple for over 10 years. but I don't like it when Apple gets a fact wrong. On their website (http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/) they say "PCIe-based flash storage lets you import massive images over four times faster than the previous-generation Mac Pro". Notice the word "faster than.". "Faster than" is different from "as fast as". For example 90mph is 50% "faster than 60 mph, but it is 150% "as fast as" 60 mph. See the difference in meaning? Apple has made mistakes like this in the past and I have raised it with AppleInsider staff but they have not published my claims. So I'm publishing my own claims in this post. Fire away. Apple isn't the only company guilty of this mistake but I want Apple to be better than everyone else.

I don't think it is a mistake. They do mean 400%+ faster than the previous Mac Pro.

The older Mac Pro with SATA II is probably read/writing at a 120 MB / sec.

Firewire 800 is real world is maybe 100 MB /sec

So when they say "import massive images" they probably mean from a memory card or firewire camera. Or even from one hard drive to another. For estimation purposes say 100 MB /sec.

Now the new PCIe drives are approaching 700 MB / sec and Thunderbolt 2 at 20 GB / sec

That sounds like more than 4 times faster to me.

• Reply 46 of 58
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I and many others I think, would like to see a major update of Aperture that could compete better with the latest Lightroom 5, that software has some very useful features that Aperture doesn't. Come on Apple you pioneered this kind of image processing software and now you've fallen behind, its been years now since version 3 came out, this latest 3.5 version is nowhere near enough of an upgrade.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    1983 wrote: »
    I and many others I think, would like to see a major update of Aperture that could compete better with the latest Lightroom 5, that software has some very useful features that Aperture doesn't. Come on Apple you pioneered this kind of image processing software and now you've fallen behind, its been years now since version 3 came out, this latest 3.5 version is nowhere near enough of an upgrade.

It wasn't really announced as an 'upgrade' more of a maintenance / compatibility update.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As someone that uses Aperture daily I have just done some tests. The new version has increased scrolling speeds and overall responsiveness phenomenally. I have 30,000 RAW images in the library I tested. There is more to this update than meets the eye. The iCloud sharing is very useful to me for showing clients work and now allowing video too is a huge benefit.

By the way, I can leave floating pallets on any screen and leave Aperture and return and they stay where they were. It sounds to me like you have a screwed up OS X installation or damaged hard drive directory. This may explain many of your complaints in general. For example, white balance works perfectly for me. As do the many plug ins I have.

I would suggest getting DiskWarrior and booting to another drive and checking the directories of your working drives. This sounds more than the usual issue fixable with Disk Utilities. I have run DW with Mavericks it it worked fine but do check with the creators for compatibility first as older versions may not be. I have version 4.4.

digitalclips, I appreciate the post.   But it's not just me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5469204

I agree that exporting direct to iCloud can be useful for a segment, as well as the Smugmug hook, (I personally export what I need to show to my DropBox folder for the same reason)  but to me they're very secondary to getting to the meat of what Aperture needs work on. It seems like Apple is pulling programmers from every division (iCloud, ios) for its new features except for the the Aperture one.  

To me, in my opinion, this update doesn't address enough of the things that could bring it closer to LR in the pro arena.  The unfortunate truth is that Apple doesn't *need* Aperture users, so successful are their phone and iPad divisions.  We have no affect on their bottom line, and sometimes we can feel that.

Respectfully,

J

• Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Enough! Just start selling the Mac Pro already!

Seriously.  I have 5k just waiting. I thought november lol.  I guess Apple had just one more surprise¡  A release date in December¡

Damn it!

• Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Like the time I told the grandkids that the hornets nest in the tree was a piñata image

LOL!  I will have to remember that one HA HA!

• Reply 51 of 58
    jlandd wrote: »
    digitalclips, I appreciate the post.   But it's not just me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5469204

I agree that exporting direct to iCloud can be useful for a segment, as well as the Smugmug hook, (I personally export what I need to show to my DropBox folder for the same reason)  but to me they're very secondary to getting to the meat of what Aperture needs work on. It seems like Apple is pulling programmers from every division (iCloud, ios) for its new features except for the the Aperture one.  

To me, in my opinion, this update doesn't address enough of the things that could bring it closer to LR in the pro arena.  The unfortunate truth is that Apple doesn't *need* Aperture users, so successful are their phone and iPad divisions.  We have no affect on their bottom line, and sometimes we can feel that.

Respectfully,

J

The white balance is interesting and I have not seen that issue but I will try to reproduce it. It is of special interest as I was CEO of a international company a selling color separation system, sold to drum and high end flat bed scanner manufacturers, running on Macs in the 90's.

That said, there were many other issues you raised that seem clearly to be not Aperture's fault such as your floating palettes. I would certainly want to know what was behind that if I were you. Especially on a production system. One word of warning, the discussions.apple blog is full of false, erroneous and plain misleading information, it isn't Apple you are talking to remember. I have lost track of the times I have come across folks totally convinced they had a bug as so many others did too, that turned out to be something else. That blog is a self reinforcing, paranoia center at times.

I too look forward to version 4 and i am aware this was an update not an upgrade.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    What configuration are they using for the baseline?

Also, when are the top end 12 core models going to be released?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    drblank wrote: »
    What configuration are they using for the baseline?

Also, when are the top end 12 core models going to be released?

...or even priced ...? Strange the Apple Store shows them only as BTO upgrades not discrete items. It would have seems logical to show all four configurations each with BTO upgrades. Doing it this way we have no idea of the cost of the 8 and 12 cores nor the updates. But I guess we can all pretty well guess just from history. It will no doubt be in the $8K - $12K as per usual for the top end BTOs.

I am truly happy to see the 'User Accessible' tags next to RAM and Storage though after all the non-upgradable rumors that were out there. I tell you what would be nice, even if it were a return to the Apple Center only modification ... upgrade the CPU and GPUs with a trade value for the exchange. One snag with that I guess us bus speeds. Not my area of expertise, what determines the 256 or 384 wide memory bus speeds?

BTW, my bet is the Apple Store gets an update well in advance of release, else no one could pre order, so we won't have too long to wait. At least we can get in before the end of the tax year!
  • Reply 54 of 58
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think it is a mistake. They do mean 400%+ faster than the previous Mac Pro.

The older Mac Pro with SATA II is probably read/writing at a 120 MB / sec.
    Firewire 800 is real world is maybe 100 MB /sec
    So when they say "import massive images" they probably mean from a memory card or firewire camera. Or even from one hard drive to another. For estimation purposes say 100 MB /sec.

Now the new PCIe drives are approaching 700 MB / sec and Thunderbolt 2 at 20 GB / sec

That sounds like more than 4 times faster to me.

The only part that sounded a tad redundant to me was for Apple to talk about the speed (what ever it is) of importing to the new SSD given no one would import to it that was using a Mac Pro in a professional environment. That said, I am sure the speed of import to a Thunderbolt drive be it RAID or not will be pretty impressive given it is a system tuned for real time 4K editing (well the higher end BTOs are). Of course as i well know having replaced all my boot drives with 256 GIG SSDs, they alone increase performance of everything beyond belief, even if using external data disks, in my case Firewire 800.

I wish I had a time machine and could take one of these babies back to the 1990's when my company was producing and editing two TV shows a week for ESPN and ESPN2, we had to work around the clock on a dual work stations (each costing $20k or more by the time you included the Quadra 840's maxed out, the RAIDs, Tape drives etc..(not including any of the analog equipment). ... can you imagine NTSC editing on a 2103 Mac Pro ... OMG :smokey:
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It wasn't really announced as an 'upgrade' more of a maintenance / compatibility update.

I think Aperture 3.5 was really an iPhoto update.  To maintain full file and library compatibility, the changes were baked into Aperture as well.  The "real" upgrade to Aperture will be v. X/4, whenever that may be.  Personally, I'd like to see lens corrections in Aperture like Lightroom 5 has.  Fixing the Pentax/Canon highlight correction tag bug for RAW files is another.

• Reply 56 of 58
    hudson1 wrote: »
    I think Aperture 3.5 was really an iPhoto update.  To maintain full file and library compatibility, the changes were baked into Aperture as well.  The "real" upgrade to Aperture will be v. X/4, whenever that may be.  Personally, I'd like to see lens corrections in Aperture like Lightroom 5 has.  Fixing the Pentax/Canon highlight correction tag bug for RAW files is another.

Yep I agree and maybe a few minor fixes too, it scrolls faster for me in Mavericks for me on an aging MBP i7 using an external LCD Apple screen.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

• Reply 58 of 58
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Yes, this is an issue for us audio people and ... um... us photography people. The blazing fast SSD is attractive but the AMOUNT of storage available is really poor for data-heavy applications. A digital photographer or musician can use up 50 gigs in a short amount of time. What happens when you're both? My new DSLR saves raw images around 120MB a piece. And that's a cropped sensor. Photographers with more money than me, buying full frame sensor cameras, will need more flexibility.

However, that's already the case for many pros with giant computers that do hold drives. Enter the RAID storage device chassis.

My photographer friend is ready to curb stomp Apple over the exclusion of internal drives. I've been trying to get her to see that a computer case full of hard drives is not much better for noise and heat than an external solution, and I personally want them external to my computer anyway because they're easier to replace that way and don't contribute to a noisy and hot system. Put the computer close, and put the drive enclosures further away behind a noise barrier.

•  

What camera are you using that saves a 120 MB RAW file, on a cropped sensor to boot??????