Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 201
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anant View Post

Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

I was impatient and bought Pages and Keynote from the App Store last night, since I use them the most (have iWork '09 from the box set).

This morning, Numbers popped up in software update, and installed happily. So, having installed Mavericks on my wife's laptop last night, checked software update, and all three were showing there, and installed neatly.

Sometimes patience is rewarded (and I need to see if I can get a refund on the two I just re-bought...)

• Reply 82 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I would suggest that Office and Powerpoint are not feature rich apps.  

They were feature rich apps by the standards of 20 years ago.

Now it's no big whoop to create an alternative that's compatible with Microsoft Office.

Google docs.  iWork.  Pages.  TextEdit.

What's so great about Microsoft Office in 2013?  It's time to let go of the familiar that has value only because it's familiar.

And I will add LibreOffice 4.1.2 but the upcoming one being OpenGL accelerated and soon after OpenCL enhanced will severely knee cap Microsoft.

None of these touch a real TeXLive Publishing solution [Technical/Scientific, Book/Novel/Novella/Plays, CV, etc].

None of these touch a real Desktop Publishing solution for Pre-press.

None of these touch the power of Octave, Maxima, R, Matlab, etc., but only Windows Office pretends to be what it is not.

• Reply 83 of 201
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    What has become of the Surface dancers prancing all over the place with their keyboard screen protectors "Click"%u2122

Will they be back for the Surface Pro 2? I was thoroughly "entertained" by their high flying dance routine, although I did not see much productivity going on with the MS tablet...
  • Reply 84 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mikejones wrote: »
    And they'd have to sell only about 1% of their current total iPad sales.

Would it really be that many? ;)
  • Reply 85 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    And I will add LibreOffice 4.1.2 but the upcoming one being OpenGL accelerated and soon after OpenCL enhanced will severely knee cap Microsoft.

None of these touch a real TeXLive Publishing solution [Technical/Scientific, Book/Novel/Novella/Plays, CV, etc].

None of these touch a real Desktop Publishing solution for Pre-press.

None of these touch the power of Octave, Maxima, R, Matlab, etc., but only Windows Office pretends to be what it is not.

Poor souls only have Windows and Office when you really come down to it. I guess they have to convince themselves the World needs these two things or their lives would be miserable. It must wake them up at nights.
  • Reply 86 of 201
    Nope the iPad is not equal to the Surface.

Looking at sales and profit (especially when adjusted for losses), I'd say its way better
  • Reply 87 of 201
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Ok, so Microsoft is THAT scared huh?

Apple’s event was top notch in my book. They act like leaders and confidently put a foot forward. Sure there were some jibs here and there aimed at Android and Ms, but in more relaxed and lighthearted demeanour than this "gibberishing monkey spawn" of an executive.

Only poeple struggling for relevancy and with there backs to the wall could look at a statement like this one and go "ok you’ve nailed it man, let’s run it!"

• Reply 88 of 201

Tim Cook’s comment about confused competition was a reference to Apple’s clear direction in continuing making Macs, hence the very next up was Craig Federighi with the OSX Mavericks

• Reply 89 of 201

What did the senior MS exec say? I tried to listen via my Zune but nobody supported the format.  I tried to log-in on my Surface but it crashed.  I tried to see it on my Windows 8 computer but I couldn't figure out how to use it and had to wait to upgrade to 8.1.  I tried to access the statement with a Windows phone but I couldn't find anyone who had one. I bet it was informative!

• Reply 90 of 201
    "...senior Microsoft executive on Wednesday fired out a post on the company's official blog deriding Apple's recent special event, saying, "the iPad with iWork is no equal to Surface 2 and Office""

We are so glad that iPad with iWork is no equal, whew! Much better is not equal. Thanks, Mr. Ballmer. I believe, for once, you are right, Apple has no equal.

Does one expect that senior executives speak without being spoken to?
  • Reply 91 of 201

Absolutely right.  Apple is spending billions to make iPads a milimeter thinner and a few ounces lighter - who cares.  Users want solutions.  It's thin enough already.  Forgetaboutit.  Give us more features, better software, etc.

• Reply 92 of 201
    I'm no tech guru, but Apple builds devices that integrate with its desktop and laptops. Why would they build a tablet that replaces the need for a basic computer?
  • Reply 93 of 201

When Apple launched the iPhone 3G in Australia, a Telstra (Aus Telco) exec famously said "Apple should stick to their knitting and not enter the phone business... These execs must be talented for you can't teach this level of arrogance .....

• Reply 94 of 201
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I'm on with Apple support right now. I had asked for a refund because I owned the box set.  I received that refund and was able to update from the Mac Store. Until Mavericks.  Now it's shows that I have an update but won't let me update. I'm having trouble with this from hundreds of my app users who did the same thing. Serious issue and oversight on Apple's side.

• Reply 95 of 201
    Originally Posted by pokerbear View Post

Absolutely right.  Apple is spending billions to make iPads a milimeter thinner and a few ounces lighter - who cares.  Users want solutions.  It's thin enough already.  Forgetaboutit.  Give us more features, better software, etc.

You through? Get out.

• Reply 96 of 201
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Um, they just did. Remember that whole iOS 7, brand new iWork and iLife apps on both OS X and iOS. Are you paying attention?

• Reply 97 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Remember when Ballmer called the iPhone a “rounding error?” Remember him laughing at the iPhone saying no one would buy a $500 phone?

Same thing here.

Wanna bet Office for iOS is announced sooner rather than later?

I wonder how many USEFUL features it's going to have over  iWork and how many they actually sell.

• Reply 98 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Microsoft said they were going to release Office for iOS, but my question is......................  Where is it?

• Reply 99 of 201

I think what the Microsoft guys mean is that Office is unnecessarily complex and they are afraid that iWork, which is simple enough for even me to use,  is actually powerful enough for virtually everyone.  Another way of stating this would be simply, "We are so scared that we don't really know how to respond effectively so we'll just try to bash Apple."

• Reply 100 of 201
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Apple is clearly playing catch-up. Except the difference is, their biggest competitor has always been themselves. They try to out-do their own products, because that's the type of company they are. They really strive for excellence in product and experience design. If Microsoft would actually create great products that people want, and shut up about the iPad, they might give themselves a bit more credibility. (I've never seen two companies with personalities that so closely resemble that of individuals.)