Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 201
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, they're really not credible.

And yet, Apple somehow decided to stupidly copy their ugly flat look with iOS.  Why is Apple trying to copy M$? 

Oh, and it's not exactly inaccurate to call iWork "watered down" because it is.  It's not nearly as powerful as the dungheap that is M$ Office.  Apple could fix that, but they haven't been trying.  People really do want that feature mix, and if it were in a decent program, Apple could take over the office software market.

Do they? iWorks, Google Apps, Office have 90% of the same functionality. For the perceived deficiencies in iWorks and Google Apps there is 3rd party software that is focused and can handle the other 10% of functionality that differentiates Office. I'd rather have just what I need and if I need more I can get at it easily without having to load some slow bloated software using up all the resources on my machine.

• Reply 102 of 201
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jaytotheford View Post

I'm no tech guru, but Apple builds devices that integrate with its desktop and laptops. Why would they build a tablet that replaces the need for a basic computer?

Why not? Apple would rather have some business than no business. Most people only need a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

• Reply 103 of 201
    Looking forward to buying the iPad Air!
  • Reply 104 of 201
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Why not? Apple would rather have some business than no business. Most people only need a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

And a Bluetooth mouse :)
  • Reply 105 of 201
    anant wrote: »
    ... while owners of boxed editions and those who purchased the apps through the Mac App Store can upgrade for no fee. 
    Is this true? My computer had iWork '09 installed from the boxed edition. When I upgraded it from Mac App Store, I received 3 bills, charging me $19.99 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Should I ask for a refund? Has anyone with boxed versions of iWork been able to upgrade these for no free?

Ask for a refund. Free upgrade from iWork '09 and iLife '11. There is a known bug with detecting old copies outside Mac App Store.
  • Reply 106 of 201
    Hahaha ya sure people are gonna buy the surface tablet over a A7 with 64bit architecture and an M7 movement chip ya sure and retina display. And a tablet that doesn't look/feel like crap
  • Reply 107 of 201
    asterion wrote: »
    What will be funny is when, a couple of months after finally releasing MSOffice for iOS, they're forced to admit that they make more selling their iOS app than selling any of their Surface products!

I can't wait!
    Yes this is exactly what will happen. If MS doesn't release office iOS soon they run the risk of losing a potential monopoly stronghold on productivity software on hand held devices which could then erode their MS office monopoly on desktops. It's so blatantly obvious that they've held back office iOS to help sell the surface. It hasn't worked so far. Further indications that MS doesn't know how to compete, only how to bleed a monopoly.
  • Reply 108 of 201
    darthw wrote: »
    Yes this is exactly what will happen. If MS doesn't release office iOS soon they run the risk of losing a potential monopoly stronghold on productivity software on hand held devices which could then erode their MS office monopoly on desktops. It's so blatantly obvious that they've held back office iOS to help sell the surface. It hasn't worked so far. Further indications that MS doesn't know how to compete, only how to bleed a monopoly.
    But then on the other hand, who will pay for MS office iOS when you get iWork for free? This is a lose lose for MS.
  • Reply 109 of 201
    Nothing really even to do with Office or Surface, but have try a desktop app on a 10" screen. You can't do anything. The ribbon takes up a huge part of the screen. You can hide the ribbon but then you end up with no controls, and end up having to hover over the ribbon all the time to bring it back up.

All you can think of when you use Surface Office is... I can't wait to get back to a desktop. It's aggravating to get any real work done on it.

iWork is a bit better for the tablet specific interface and you can get a lot more done with Pages, but I still feel the need to go back to a desktop. But if given a choice, iPad anyday.
  • Reply 110 of 201
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, they're really not credible.

And yet, Apple somehow decided to stupidly copy their ugly flat look with iOS.  Why is Apple trying to copy M$? 

Oh, and it's not exactly inaccurate to call iWork "watered down" because it is.  It's not nearly as powerful as the dungheap that is M$ Office.  Apple could fix that, but they haven't been trying.  People really do want that feature mix, and if it were in a decent program, Apple could take over the office software market.

You are utterly misguided. For flat design as well, although I don't like it either.

iWork is nothing as watered down MS Office. If you would use it from the first version onwards, you would realize it was a fresh concept in office apps design. Instead of copying features from Office and competing in price and functionality count, they have chosen user-centric, instead of document-centric approach with loads of features. I instantly got every single feature in iWork and also instantly realized I don't need Office at all. Actually, I wondered, how could I spent so much time using such a idiotic user interface, as MS is offering all over the product portfolio.

And it was all reinvented with iOS versions!

I do realize there are people that want to have Office at all costs and are using some of the functionalities that don't exist in iWork, but they are fraction of the market. I work in Windows centric environment, I use iWork, that most of the co-workers are not even aware of, my Mail, COntacts and Calendar are seamlessly integrated with Exchange. I don't need MS Office. Most of the users don't.

• Reply 111 of 201
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

Office is a highly functional software suite, and I would happily use it on iOS. The best scenario for me is iPad with Office. Surface is just fugly and unfun, but Office is the standard. Apple design, apple fun software, and MS document software.

Office on iPad will be (or already more or less is) don in a MS way: everything squeezed and bashed into GUI that will make it unusable. I don't need that standards.

• Reply 112 of 201

Oh My God...

The new Apple iWork simply Rocks...  (Not to mention Maps and iBooks).

The whole OS is so much faster.

The new iWork is a "Coup de Grace" to every other office suite.

With Mac, iOS and Web availability all platforms are covered.

• Reply 113 of 201
    I don't really think Apple is trying to compete with Office. It's more like competition for Google Docs and an alternative to customers that are looking for "office like" apps on the iPad.
  • Reply 114 of 201
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    nsa8690 wrote: »
    He mentioned Surface is the "most productive tablet" on the market today. He meant the most boring tablet on the market. Because of Windows 8. Moreover, Surface is not a tablet, Surface is kind of small ultra-book. Let him compare Windows 8 to Mavericks "Apple's new OS". Windows 8 has lack of design and there is no consistency. I wanna from him to show give facts that Surface is more powerful than iPad in terms of hardware and Software. Senior Microsoft forgot to mention how are Microsoft programs are expensive. For example, Windows 8 price for $400 - $450 in Australia. Yesterday I download Mavericks for free..

Not a key in sight, no complex codes to enter, no activation to be done, no nag screens saying your trial will expire, just download and install, this more than anything makes Apple the best.
  • Reply 115 of 201
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

And MS screws up it's mobile strategy yet again, iOS owners would have plunked down big $ for a port of Office, but MS stalled, pushing their own crap, and Apple filled in the gaps.

What is it with MS and mobile?  They continually misjudge the market to the tune of losing billions in potential revenue, It's like they want to fail. 

• Reply 116 of 201
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Some legit remarks, a lot of manipulating the reality. Sure, multiple windows is compulsory for pro work, but they still don't understand that iPad isn't made for that, and they should concentrate on the 'easy' making of consumer devices before pro. Or maybe not, to each company its preference.
  • Reply 117 of 201

This appears to be an example of blind management failure.

He concedes that the iPad is extremely successful AND that it is unashamedly created first as a time killer / media consumption appliance with productivity placed second. Now he argues that MS can compete by producing a device which places productivity before trivial use.

Is the world suddenly going to wake up and stop using their tablets for wasting time instead of actually working just because MS produce a device with the all power of a Macbook Pro in tablet form factor, running a fully fledged 64bit desktop operating system, able to run tens of millions of applications? Today, this doesn't seem likely.

Whether we like it or not, we're speeding headfirst towards a world which looks more like Wall-e and Idiocracy every day.

• Reply 118 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

For the record, Microsoft, I had two friends do clean installs of Mavericks in the past 24 hours. Both decided they no longer needed Office. One had iWork 09, the other with iWork 08. The one with iWork 08 actually paid for iWork today to get the upgrades

Do you friends a favor, tell they to stay with iWork 09, the new version is a HUGE step back

New iWork is not "watered down" as MS says, is worse than that, is really a functionality slaughter

• Reply 119 of 201
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I thinking Microsoft is scared...very scared...and it ain't even Halloween yet! Surface 2 the rescue...not! LMAO!

Doubt it.  Companies with 10s of billions in cash and revenue aren't scared of anything.  More importantly, if MS had the mental capacity to understand that it should be scared...well, it probably wouldn't be producing the piece of shit that is Surface.  I know it seems hard to believe, but MS really does believe in its vision of a unified desktop and tablet.  It wasn't such a bad idea.  The only problem is they tried it for 15 years and it has failed.  Not everyone is so stupid.  Samsung figured it out.  Microsoft's stupidity is simply inexplicable.   

• Reply 120 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Hahaha ya sure people are gonna buy the surface tablet over a A7 with 64bit architecture and an M7 movement chip ya sure and retina display. And a tablet that doesn't look/feel like crap

You sir, need to do your research before posting. People will still choose iPads over Surface Pro, but not for the reasons you state!

The processing power of the Surface Pro leaves every iPad for dust, and then some.  In case you didn't know, an Intel Core i5 Haswell processor with 4GB RAM is pretty powerful for a laptop, let alone a tablet. Your meager mobile phone processor is not the mighty powerhouse you imagine it to be. The build quality and design of the Surface range is actually very good indeed, but then you'd actually have to look/feel one to know that I guess.

The fact remains that iPad will continue to leave Surface for dead in the sales/popularity stakes. No contest.