Apple Stores to open at 8 a.m. on Nov. 1 for iPad Air launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's retail stores will open their doors early next Friday, Nov. 1, to offer customers the chance to be among the first to own the new lightweight iPad Air.

Retail

The company's latest-full-size tablet will be available at 8 a.m. local time on Nov. 1, Apple has announced on its website. That's an hour earlier than the company's retail locations usually open.

It's not a new move for the company, as Apple has done 8 a.m. early openings for other product launches, most recently the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c in September.

If history is any indication, preorders for the iPad Air will begin on Apple's online store at 12:01 a.m. Pacific on Friday, Nov. 1.

Like with the iPhone 5s, Apple is not taking advance online preorders for the iPad Air. That's a change from years past, when users could have the latest iPad model mailed to their home on launch day.

Not launching next Friday is the new iPad mini with Retina display, which Apple has promised will arrive later in November. It's expected to be in short supply this holiday season, with rumors suggesting Apple faces yield issues with the new high-resolution display on its 7.9-inch tablet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    Why doesn't Apple use more of its ca$h to develop its manufacturing partners?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Early enough to dash to the store before work...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So will Apple have iPad minis on display in stores on Nov 1. I'm sure there's people who would like to compare the mini and Air before they buy.
  • Reply 4 of 20

I have never owned an iPad. Was looking to buy one now. iPad Air certainly looks the part, plus the new dimensions have won many over (including me), but I don't know, I was really hoping for it to have Touch ID. I'll wait for another update I guess. Hopefully that'll have Touch ID.

• Reply 5 of 20
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Don't wait a year just because you are too lazy to input a 4 digit code.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

Why doesn't Apple use more of its ca$h to develop its manufacturing partners?

Why don’t you explain what that has to do with the story?

• Reply 7 of 20
    Touch ID on an iPad wouldn't do much since the iPad is usually at home or work and not in your pocket all the time like a phone.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I haven't lined up at dawn since the iPhone 3GS as I bought the iphone 5 at launch and had it ship to my house....and have never lined up for an ipad launch. So my question, do ipad launches attract as many people given the cash outlay is greater (no carrier subsidies like with phones)...and what are my chances of getting an ipad air if I try to do this vs ordering at 3am eastern online?

I would just order online, but I sold my ipad 2 about 6 or more weeks ago thinking we were closer to launch than we were, and I'm itching to get my hands back on a ipad.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Think I'll be there at 7am, trying to take Friday off from work :D
    Hopefully there's enough!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimH81 View Post

I haven't lined up at dawn since the iPhone 3GS as I bought the iphone 5 at launch and had it ship to my house....and have never lined up for an ipad launch. So my question, do ipad launches attract as many people given the cash outlay is greater (no carrier subsidies like with phones)...and what are my chances of getting an ipad air if I try to do this vs ordering at 3am eastern online?

I would just order online, but I sold my ipad 2 about 6 or more weeks ago thinking we were closer to launch than we were, and I'm itching to get my hands back on a ipad.

The only iPad that I had a problem getting at launch was the iPad 2. I have an Apple Store near me and they always seem to get a good supply of everything. I didn't even have a problem getting a 5s in fact three of them because most wanted ATT in my area and I have Verizon.

I would expect the Air launch to be okay, the Mini is a different story. The most insane launch for me was the iPhone 4. There was a 13 hour line at the Mall of Georgia for those that didn't preorder. There isn't anything that I would wait 13 hours in line to get.

• Reply 12 of 20
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Ordering it online- not that big a difference to what I currently have (iPad3) to warrant queing up.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    evilution wrote: »

Don't listen to anyone making backhanded promises of Touch ID arriving on next year's iPad. Apple never promised that.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Ordering it online- not that big a difference to what I currently have (iPad3) to warrant queing up.

I'm totally going to wait in line for the first time for an iPad Air. It's a big difference from what I currently have (iPad 3).
  • Reply 15 of 20

Has anyone had any problems with performance of their iPad 2 after installing iOS 7? I been holding off on upgrading it for fear it will lag big time. I have a 5S, so it's not like I'm missing out, but was just curious before I move ahead with the upgrade on my iPad. As for the iPad Air...I would LOVE to get one, but just can't bring myself to do it if my 2 works great and still looks brand new! Not one scratch on it. I skipped over the 3 and 4 for the same reason. I said "eh, maybe the 5" (now called Air) but the 2 is STILL going strong. I'd love to hear everyones experiences with this. I just don't want to upgrade only to be disappointed in the drop in performance, then have NO CHOICE but to buy an Air. Thanks

• Reply 16 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Sort of my feeling.

Granted if enough apps develop that into more than a modest convenience I might miss it but at the moment? It's not all that critical, in fact I've decided I'm keeping my bulletproof cases Otterbox Armor and Defender FWIW) I got for my 5 and just disable Touch ID on the 5s and go with the passcode when it's necessary to use that level of protection.

• Reply 17 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Eh. I'll just be getting mine from best buy. If history repeats, they'll have them Friday morning as well, and I get reward points plus 45 days to return the thing if for some reason I decide to.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

Has anyone had any problems with performance of their iPad 2 after installing iOS 7?

Yeah mine ran like a P.O.S. So I downgraded to 6.1.3 and flogged it on the 'Bay ;)

• Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The only iPad that I had a problem getting at launch was the iPad 2. I have an Apple Store near me and they always seem to get a good supply of everything. 

I would expect the Air launch to be okay, the Mini is a different story. The most insane launch for me was the iPhone 4. There was a 13 hour line at the Mall of Georgia for those that didn't preorder. There isn't anything that I would wait 13 hours in line to get.

Thanks for the reply.  Guess I misspoke, it was the iPhone 3g I stood in line for, and the 4 I think.  Enjoyed the experience, but the iPhone 5 I pre-ordered to arrive on launch day -- which was maybe even more enjoyable, albeit not as exciting.  But seems Apple isn't big into offering pre-orders lately.  :\  I may try to take my chances and show up early on Friday morning vs. trying to order online and waiting a week+ for the shipment.  Might be a good day to take off from work.... 8-) 

• Reply 20 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They did the same thing when the iPad 3 came out and I got one no problem, showed up shortly after 8am and short line only.