Apple exec involved in Mac hardware hired away by Tesla

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Doug Field, a five-year employee of Apple working in the company's Mac hardware group, has been hired away by electric car-maker Tesla.

Tesla

Tesla Motors officially announced the hire Thursday afternoon. In his new role at the company, Field will serve as vice president of Vehicle Programs, and will be responsible for driving development of new vehicles.

In taking on the new position, Field has left his role as vice president of Mac Hardware Engineering at Apple. In that role, he oversaw the development of the latest MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac models.

"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple," said Field. "I started my career with the goal of creating incredible cars, but ultimately left the auto industry in search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere.

"As the first high tech auto company in modern history, Tesla is at last an opportunity for me and many others to pursue the dream of building the best cars in the world--while being part of one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley."

The position at Tesla marks a return to the automotive industry for Field, as he began his career as an engineer at Ford Motor Company. Before he joined Apple, he was a chief engineer at Segway.

"Doug has demonstrated the leadership and technical talent to develop and deliver outstanding products, including what are widely considered the best computers in the world," said Elon Musk, co-founder and CEO of Tesla. "Tesla's future depends on engineers who can create the most innovative, technologically advanced vehicles in the world. Doug's experience in both consumer electronics and traditional automotive makes him an important addition to our leadership team."

Field has a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and Management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a BS in Mechanical Engineering with highest distinction from Purdue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Cool. Maybe he can get Tesla to do more Apple-Tesla collaboration.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Good for him and Tesla. He seems genuinely passionate about cars and to be a remarkably talented guy.

My only question is, "How deep is Apple's hardware engineering bench?"
  • Reply 2 of 37

Maybe he can be responsible for keeping Android out of the best cars available.

• Reply 4 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Good for him. I'm extremely impressed with what Tesla has achieved. They're basically the Apple of the auto industry, and I predict huge things for their future.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    His experience at designing overpriced hardware should help him fit in nicely at Tesla. :)

-kpluck
  • Reply 6 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Maybe he can be responsible for keeping Android out of the best cars available.
    http://www.slashgear.com/tesla-model-s-will-get-android-emulator-and-chrome-browser-22302709/
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

will

I guess that means it can’t be stopped. Oh, wait.

• Reply 8 of 37
    Sweet move. People move around Silicon Valley all the time. As long as Tesla doesn't hire Andy Rubin :)
  • Reply 9 of 37

From one great engineering company to another ... lucky guy.

• Reply 10 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is doooooomed! /s
  • Reply 11 of 37

Doug Field, a five-year employee of Apple

"Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple,"

You were only there for 5 years, why would you at all consider leaving? He acts like he was at Apple for 15+ years. 

• Reply 12 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doug Field, a five-year employee of Apple
    "Until Tesla came along, I had never seriously considered leaving Apple,"

You were only there for 5 years, why would you at all consider leaving? He acts like he was at Apple for 15+ years. 

5 yrs is a long time in Silicon Valley. Everyone poaches and people burn out.
  • Reply 13 of 37

It's a shame Elon Musk has publicly stated that he intends to put Android in Tesla vehicles. Ah, well. 

• Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's a shame Elon Musk has publicly stated that he intends to put Android in Tesla vehicles. Ah, well. 

Oh my gosh... we are not going to blow the horn and it go  D R O I D! 

• Reply 15 of 37
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

His experience at designing overpriced hardware should help him fit in nicely at Tesla. image

Says the guy who has made MagicJack his tagline.

• Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

5 years goes by as a blink of an eye, and besides, the rest of the VPs have been there considerably longer, with the exception of Bruce. 

• Reply 17 of 37
    Apple will be buying Tesla in the future and then Elon will eventually be CEO of Apple - a company that makes computers, cars and rockets
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Apple will be buying Tesla in the future and then Elon will eventually be CEO of Apple - a company that makes computers, cars and rockets

I’d drive an Ive-designed car. I believe he worked on one at Apple once…

But Musk as CEO? Eh.

An Apple rocket would get us to Ganymede in under a year.

• Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

5 years goes by as a blink of an eye, and besides, the rest of the VPs have been there considerably longer, with the exception of Bruce. 

You're both right.

In silicon valley (and other places), 5 years are a long time. Many stay until their options vest, and then move on. Tony Fadell, for example, stayed ~ 6 yrs. The pressure, in many companies, not easy to bear. More than one engineer at Apple sacrificed their marriage for the iPhone.

But there are also those who stay, and climb the ranks.

• Reply 20 of 37

you're right - Tim as CEO running it and making it work, Elon as visionary, Jony as designer