Rendezvous iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When can we expect to see Rendezvous enabled iTunes? Wasn't this something that was discussed at MWNY? Just seems like it shouldn't be taking this long.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I thought that it was either built in and that we just had to wait for Jaguar, or that it was going to be a part of the 3.0.1 (or whatever we're at now) upgrade, but I still haven't heard anything about it actually working yet.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I am so looking for this feature. I have a number of Mac's in the house and connect them now for iTunes playing. But its a bit of a pain. This would be so cool.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Last I remember, the rendezvous capabilities will be rolled into the next *major* release, not a x.x.1 update, in early 2003.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    That's not too bad, thanks Brad.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    It's supposed to be here early next year, so within the next couple of months know. I wouldn't be suprised if they released it at MWSF, as iTunes 4.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Brad's right. When Steve and Phil demo'ed the Rendezvous-enabled iTunes, they said that the next *major* release will have it.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>Brad's right. When Steve and Phil demo'ed the Rendezvous-enabled iTunes, they said that the next *major* release will have it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve and Phil didn't demo it.

Things are not always as they seem
  • Reply 8 of 20
    yes they did demo it, and Steve said it was coming to iTunes in January.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I heard early '03, so that more than likely means a MacWorld. And I can't wait, I hate sharing libraries the way it is now with iTunes, it should be so much more elegant in January.

I wonder if it'll let you copy your library and a network library (or just songs from a network library) to your iPod... hrm..
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Ha, whoa. MacWorld.. that just gave me an idea.

Imagine it does get released at MacWorld SF in early January... imagine thousands of iBook/PowerBook-toting Maclots running around a convention center with wireless networking all over the place and probably terabytes of mp3s in all their iTunes libraries, all wirelessly sharing with one another via Rendezvous, automatically, just as soon as they install the new iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by MagicFingers:

<strong>yes they did demo it, and Steve said it was coming to iTunes in January.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He did say it would be coming "early next year" but he did not demo a working version of rendezvous-enabled iTunes, he just appeared to.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

He did say it would be coming "early next year" but he did not demo a working version of rendezvous-enabled iTunes, he just appeared to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I swear I heard Steve say January.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

He did say it would be coming "early next year" but he did not demo a working version of rendezvous-enabled iTunes, he just appeared to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know what you would classify as a working version. But they did demo a Rendevous enabled version of iTunes. Phil opened his powerbook, Steve saw his library, played some songs, phil closed his powerbook, repeat, whoa. Maybe you should go back and watch the keynote. It's around the 32 minute mark.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by MagicFingers:

<strong>

I swear I heard Steve say January.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He said "early next year" go watch the keynote. Around the 32 minute mark.

It will be interesting to see how they implement this feature. If they allow you to actually copy songs from your a Rendevous library to your own they could cause quite a stir, because of the potential for pirating, especially at Macworlds. I wonder if they will allow you to password protect your library so that it isn't open to everyone to see.

If they do allow copying that would be great. It would make manageing MP3s between my iBook and PowerMac that much easier.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I think Jamie's alluding to the fact that the demo was faked.

Much like NeXT faked demos back in the day
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I think Jamie's alluding to the fact that the demo was faked.

Much like NeXT faked demos back in the day</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never paid any attention to NeXT, how would they fake something like this? Wouldn't it just be easier to actually build in a really quick and dirty version of the feature into iTunes and use that?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Uh, Jamie, how can you know this?

Yes, this may have been a very simple app that will just play a song as long as the other computer is not in stand-by, but it may as well have been a real iTunes alpha.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>

He said "early next year" go watch the keynote. Around the 32 minute mark.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you

[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>I think Jamie's alluding to the fact that the demo was faked.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yay! Someone intelligent enough to pick up on what I was talking about. Thanks, Jonathan
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Intelligent enough? Cut me some slack, I wasn't trying to be mean to you.

What are these "fake" demos anyhow? How do they work? What would NeXT do?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    arnarn Posts: 21member
    There is no evidence that the Rendezvous/iTunes demo was faked...

there are simply people who believe this is the case.

There are also people who believe the moon landing was faked.

It's best to ignore these people, as it's hard to try to argue with conspiricy theorists. See this thread for further discussion on this topic: <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=122068"; target="_blank">http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=122068</a>;

arn

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: arn ]</p>