Apple releases Apple TV update 6.0.1 with minor tweaks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Continuing its week of updates, Apple on Thursday released a new Apple TV software update, bringing the set-top streamer's firmware up to version 6.0.1.

Apple TV

Apple's latest Apple TV version 6.0.1, dubbed build 11B511d, comes one day after the company rolled out a dedicated channel for iMovie Theater, the new video sharing feature that debuted with iMovie for iOS and Mac on Tuesday.

As the update has yet to hit Apple's Support Downloads webpage, it is unknown what changes were made to the software. A quick look reveals no major user interface or content additions, suggesting version 6.0.1 is a point update that deals with backend fixes and performance improvements.

In September, a major release added support for iTunes Radio and AirPlay over iCloud.

Apple TV version 6.0.1 is available now as an over-the-air download for second- and third-generation devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

Why not just forcibly update our devices without us knowing? Save us the “trouble”? :grumble:

*sigh* I’ll stop for now.

• Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why not just forcibly update our devices without us knowing? Save us the “trouble”? :grumble:

There's a setting on Apple TV that allows for automatic updates.  Trouble saved.

• Reply 3 of 23
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

You can turn on auto update, ya know. Do that, and the only way you'll be aware up them is by any changes you notice on screen, or articles like this.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    The auto update feature is pretty nice, especially for parents and friends whom I do occasional IT duty for. I don't have to have a home visit just to know they have the latest Apple TV update.
  • Reply 5 of 23

Last night - I put 3 movies together of the kids summers events, took around 6 minutes on iPhone 5. Added to the Theater. Popped on the Apple TV in the kids bedroom that evening - seamless. Ok you could mirrror, Vimeo, etc - but this was smoothe, a very nice subtle feature that will snowball.

• Reply 6 of 23
    iTunes Extras...the wait goes on.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

what does that even mean?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Equality72521 View Post

I agree. I miss it as well. Even started extracting the "extras" videos and created a "TV Show" out of them, so I could view that stuff from my Apple TV.

• Reply 9 of 23

I hope this fixes all of the airplay and home sharing issues I've been having lately.

• Reply 10 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

That was a joke right?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    That reminds me I'll have to get round to removing all that American sport crap from my atv.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    cash907 wrote: »
    You can turn on auto update, ya know. Do that, and the only way you'll be aware up them is by any changes you notice on screen, or articles like this.
    ...or if your AppleTV is suddenly bricked, like the last update. :wow: ;)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    jupiterone wrote: »
    ...or if your AppleTV is suddenly bricked, like the last update. :wow: ;)
    Don't joke, that happened to me. They switched it out for a new one, but it was still a pain.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Can we please get NBATV in Toronto. I have been waiting for years now, what is the hold up?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, sure.

So you can wake up one day and puzzle over why your @TV is bricked....?

• Reply 16 of 23
    I updated mine early this afternoon & it seems to be running slow. Is there anything I can do?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I agree. I miss it as well. Even started extracting the "extras" videos and created a "TV Show" out of them, so I could view that stuff from my Apple TV.

Wait, how do you do this? Can I use this method to watch Star Trek w/commentary on my iPad too?

• Reply 18 of 23

The last update added that option in settings. You have to turn it on. It's not defaulted on.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    We any closer to knowing what the latest update has achieved?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Originally Posted by bandcamp View Post

There's a setting on Apple TV that allows for automatic updates.  Trouble saved.

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

You can turn on auto update, ya know.

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

The last update added that option in settings. You have to turn it on. It's not defaulted on.

Okay, you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying. I DON’T want this, yet Apple does it with every other update to the Apple TV.

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sure.

So you can wake up one day and puzzle over why your @TV is bricked....?

Or why your favorite Channel has just been taken away from you with no explanation, yep.