Mac owners adopting OS X Mavericks 3X faster than Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I just got a warning email from my university IT that EndNote and Office 2011 don't like Mavericks. Though in typical IT fashion they blamed the OS and not the software manuf. that need to adapt to the new OS reality….

I'm sure Microsoft will release an update.  I just ran Excel 2011 and it seemed to run just fine, no warning errors came up, but there is an update to Messenger.

• Reply 42 of 95
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but...

Breaking news: Lower prices produced higher demand! ...I learned this in Economics 101 30 years ago.

• Reply 43 of 95
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I just got a warning email from my university IT that EndNote and Office 2011 don't like Mavericks. Though in typical IT fashion they blamed the OS and not the software manuf. that need to adapt to the new OS reality….

Were the software manufacturers supposed to release their patches before the new OS even came out? Also: backward compatibility is a nice quality for operating systems to have.

• Reply 44 of 95
    thewb wrote: »
    Check out the thorough review of Mavericks on Ars Technica. Timer coalescing, App Nap, and RAM compression can help older Macs eke out a little more performance and battery life.

Exactly. That's what a real website looks like. And you can vote posts up and down in their forums. :)
  • Reply 45 of 95
    Compare this to how windows 8.1 and 8 are released, watch the difference between how windows vs Mac OS 10.9 release, Apple did make this happen with a free release, and instead of IOS 7, did not make a reason not to upgrade.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Upgraded my mid-2011 Mac Mini as sson as I could to Mavericks. I might be biased, but I seem to notice a reasonable improvement in boot times, loading all my NAS volumes and opening applications.

Maps is still inferior to Google, at least in Asia where I do most of my look ups.

I would have paid US$20 for the upgrade and been happy. More so when such a great update is free.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    arlor wrote: »
    This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but…

I was repeatedly told in another thread that 1) Apple would never make OS X free snide it was already "practically" free, and 2) that there was no benefit, only loss, from making OS X free.

So you must be wrong. /s
  • Reply 48 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    3. It runs on hardware going back to 2007. For instance, it runs very well on my early 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz with 6GB RAM. 

All in all, as close to perfect as an OS X release can get. 

Yeah right, I have a late 2008 Macbook 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM, it runs slow with Mavericks, battery performance has gone down, memory usage has gone up. I am sitting with a couple of apps open and the machine is using all 8GB RAM. I am disappointed that I listened to the people that claimed it was running better than ML
  • Reply 49 of 95
    I think its free because they don't want the Mac platform fragmented, and they know Microsoft cannot compete like this. MS depends on software sales, whereas apple lives on hardware. Customers now have another reason to pick a Mac instead of a PC. Really smart move, they'll end up making more money from new PC converts, while making MS even more irrelevant tomorrow.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

This is a great way to reduce fragmentation and a natural expansion of the iOS strategy...but...

Breaking news: Lower prices produced higher demand! ...I learned this in Economics 101 30 years ago.

I don't know if lowering prices ALWAYS works.  Look at Surface products.  Microsoft lowered the prices, but I don't think they are getting increased sales because of them.  And lowering prices destroys margins, so they have to be careful as to what price they are lowering and what the impact on profits will be.  So, for Apple giving away what is normally $20, it's just such a big deal, but if Microsoft drops the price of their system by $100, that's a bigger margin killer.  But lowering prices doesn't always mean increasing sales and to the point where it's worth the damage to margins.  Sometimes, It's just better to keep the prices the same and make better margins, than to drop the price, it may result in less profit even with higher sales.

• Reply 51 of 95

I gotta admit that the weakened U.S. economy has hit my family pretty hard, and I've not been able to update my hardware on the frequent schedule I was used to. Looking forward to - and upgrading to - iOS7 and to Mavericks has at least invigorated my enthusiasm and involvement in things Apple, and offered slight performance enhancements and better integration without my having spent a dime.

Thanks, Apple! Lead on!

• Reply 52 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

No, not paranoid at all. Tim Cook is up to something.

• Reply 53 of 95
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Software sells hardware. Considering that Apple is a hardware business, sort of makes sense.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I was repeatedly told in another thread that 1) Apple would never make OS X free snide it was already "practically" free, and 2) that there was no benefit, only loss, from making OS X free.

Still not comprehending what you read and still lying about it, I see.
    You were not told this at all.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    It's a damn shame I can't update my 2008 white MacBook C2D 2,4 ghz... :(
  • Reply 56 of 95

I installed it on my Late 2007 iMac (2.4 Ghz, 4GB Memory) .... and it runs faster than Mountain Lion. Infact, they give me 0 reason to buy one of those incredibly sexy new iMacs.  The Mac feals like on the very first day back in September 2007 when I started it up with Tiger.

Apple with its OSX releases is clearly concentrating on the stuff that's under the hood. They always have. And I guess that's why they can support old hardware as long as it's 64bit and dual core.

Making it free will convince a lot of customer to consider a Mac next time they buy a computer. Steve's "Post PC World" is happening and Apple holds a large share of that market. And in the old segment of PCs they are doing EVERYTHING to give buyers not really a reason to buy a Windows PC (unless they are hard core gamers or companies).

• Reply 57 of 95
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Whomever predicted this move is a genius ;-)

...and would never beat his own drum because that would be crass. :\ 

• Reply 58 of 95
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Mac OS used to be free. Back to the good 'ol days.

I need Endnote X5 to function properly, anyone with a heads up? Have delayed until my current paper was finished, in review now. Anyone use a LaTeX editor such as LyX? (Need that to work properly too.)

• Reply 59 of 95
    I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house... And then all the iWork apps 4 times afterwards.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house...

You don’t. Nor iWork.