Adobe confirms Flash Player is sandboxed in Safari for OS X Mavericks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Welcome to the forum .

I can't spek for the OP you replied to but It's pretty easy to do a quick and dirty experiment*, if you turn off click to Flash on a Flash heavy web page the Mac starts to heat up in seconds and the fan comes on and if it's a MBP on your lap it gets pretty darned hot, fast. Personally I like the Sandbox approach and Click to Flash so that even when i allow a Flash by choice (thanks to CtF) I know it's safe. I just have to allow the connection to Adobe via Little Snitch. image

* and of course you can use the Activity Monitor as Zoolook pointed out while I typed. image

Interesting choice of experiments - Method 1: open Activity Monitor; Method 2: measure time taken to toast one's meatballs. Hmm...

• Reply 22 of 38
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Not necessarily. At least where I reside, a modern, western democracy, accepting terms and conditions may be considered as entering into a contract with a vendor. In this place, contract law is based on a principle of 'fairness to both (all) parties'. If terms and conditions can be shown to be basically unfair, they can be beaten. Of course, access to the law and the opportunity to make one's case isn't guaranteed, especially for those who are most susceptible to accepting unreasonable terms. :)

one word for you... (or a few) you need to get yourself indemnified... or not doing anything is the safest route...

or perhaps you are confusing the 10 day grace period that allows you to cancel a contract in Canada...
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. ARE there any videos that the QuickTime window and HTML5 can’t cover?

Millions of FLV videos

• Reply 24 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    poksi wrote: »
    Oh, no! Apple is now closing Flash as well! Damn this closed environment!   \s

Both Chrome and Firefox were already sandboxing Flash. Apple's Safari, at least in Mavericks, is now just doing the same thing. It's not more closed because of it.

EDIT: Missed your sarcasm tag in the first read.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I don't use Safari because of how limited it is, but I'm glad they've finally caught up with everyone else.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Millions of FLV videos

Perian is your friend, makes FLV playable with Quicktime. 

• Reply 27 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I un-installed Flash when I move to my new Air this July. I used Chrome in a push.

• Reply 28 of 38
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Perian is your friend, makes FLV playable with Quicktime. 

Perian doesn’t work in Mavericks, nor will it ever. VLC plays FLV.

• Reply 29 of 38
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Perian doesn’t work in Mavericks, nor will it ever. VLC plays FLV.

Damn it…  I'm still nostalgic of ResEdit, make me a dinosaur some time. 

• Reply 30 of 38
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have just purchased my first iMac and have been trying to understand how to install Flash. Is Sandbox an add in once Flash has been installed, or is it automatically installed if I download Flash?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

I have just purchased my first iMac and have been trying to understand how to install Flash. Is Sandbox an add in once Flash has been installed, or is it automatically installed if I download Flash?

The sandbox is an OS services and apps need to written to explicitly use it but Apple made it mandatory for apps going thru the Apps Stores. You only need to keep your Flash up to date and it should use it.  Sandboxed or not, this should have zero impact for the users, you don't have to worry much about those things.   

• Reply 32 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

one word for you... 

or perhaps you are confusing the 10 day grace period that allows you to cancel a contract in Canada...

No confusion.

• Reply 33 of 38
    Thanks Apple Security for helping adobe fix their problems on other systems and browsers. One less feature Apple will have over the other crap software. It's what made a mac better for sure.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

1. ARE there any videos that the QuickTime window and HTML5 can’t cover?

2. You’re giving Chrome business!

3. I use Click2Flash as well, but I have Flash installed to force the QuickTime window instead of YouTube’s own HTML5 one. Has C2F been updated now that if I don’t have Flash at all I can always see the QuickTime window? I have absolutely no interest in using Google’s useless piece of trash “player”.

1.  Ummm... yes, millions (as mstone also pointed out). For about a decade, Flash was the defacto standard, and many vids will never be upgraded.  Even YouTube has tons of videos that will not work in HTML5.

2.  Not really, if you knew how little I have to resort to using Chrome. :-)  Essentially, I use Google Chrome for surfing Google properties, period.

3.  The problem with Click to Flash is that it advertises that Flash is installed.  And I don't want sites counting my browser among the flash-enabled masses in my normal daily surfing. 

Even AppleInsider here prompts me to install Flash every day, meaning that some ad on this site wants to use Flash to display and [potentially] track me with their LSO cookie.

• Reply 35 of 38
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

3.  The problem with Click to Flash is that it advertises that Flash is installed.  And I don't want sites counting my browser among the flash-enabled masses in my normal daily surfing. 

Wait, that’s the thing; it doesn’t. If you have Flash installed, C2F pulls up the inline QuickTime player on YouTube, et. al. If you don’t, it reverts to YouTube’s non-Flash player, which is the worst playback utility I’ve ever seen. 

Has that changed in recent versions of C2F? Since you don’t have Flash, have you been seeing the QuickTime player or YouTube’s player?

• Reply 36 of 38
    This is a good first step but I wish that all browsers would take sandboxing of Flash (and other plugins, especially Java) to a higher level, in particular, limiting the amount of CPU they can consume, like putting a governor on an engine.

Flash apps are terrible for the degree of CPU they will run up. A Flash app can bring my top of the line desktop to a crawl. Then for laptops it adds the fact that that will run your battery down more quickly too. My laptop usually gets about 4 hours on a charge but if I'm running a Flash game I like to play, I'm lucky to get 90 minutes.

So it would be great if there was a configuration value you could set that say limits to Flash app to no more than X percent of your CPU. In fact it would be great if that were a general option in the Activity Monitor for OSX, that you can set a max CPU utilization parameter for any app.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    This is a good first step but I wish that all browsers would take sandboxing of Flash (and other plugins, especially Java) to a higher level, in particular, limiting the amount of CPU they can consume, like putting a governor on an engine.

Flash apps are terrible for the degree of CPU they will run up. A Flash app can bring my top of the line desktop to a crawl. Then for laptops it adds the fact that that will run your battery down more quickly too. My laptop usually gets about 4 hours on a charge but if I'm running a Flash game I like to play, I'm lucky to get 90 minutes.

So it would be great if there was a configuration value you could set that say limits to Flash app to no more than X percent of your CPU. In fact it would be great if that were a general option in the Activity Monitor for OSX, that you can set a max CPU utilization parameter for any app.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

1.  Ummm... yes, millions (as mstone also pointed out). For about a decade, Flash was the defacto standard, and many vids will never be upgraded.  Even YouTube has tons of videos that will not work in HTML5.

Most flash video out there are plain h.264 video file encapsulated in a Flash video player, C2F allow many of those flash embedded h.264 stream to be played directly thru HTML5 and Quicktime, even gives us option to download the original h.264 stream.  Almost every Youtube video works thru C2F.  It worth reminds your Android devices do access the whole Youtube content thru native h.264 stream.

2.  Not really, if you knew how little I have to resort to using Chrome. :-)  Essentially, I use Google Chrome for surfing Google properties, period.

Chrome got is own flash player embedded, Google ads tracking network depend of Flash cookies ability of being undeletable and untracked by most browsers caches and cookies cleaners.  Google only protect their interests here. 

Quote:

Even AppleInsider here prompts me to install Flash every day, meaning that some ad on this site wants to use Flash to display and [potentially] track me with their LSO cookie.

I mostly prefer using the fake flash of C2F than resorting of using Chrome with flash embedded, and If you don't like being tracked, you should avoid chrome at all cost.