Apple's new MacBook Pros have slimmer cooling systems thanks to Haswell

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Migrating the MacBook Pro line to Intel's new Haswell architecture allowed Apple to streamline the laptops' cooling system, resulting in lighter, slimmer devices, according to a new teardown.

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro teardown
Apple's latest 15-inch MacBook Pro | Source: iFixit

The 13-inch version of Apple's latest Retina MacBook Pro lineup benefited the most from Haswell's focus on power efficiency, reducing the number of fans in the clamshell casing from two to one, according to iFixit. The reduction is likely one of the primary reasons Apple was able to shrink the smaller laptop's vertical cross-section to match its larger sibling's 0.71 inch thin profile.

13-inch Retina MacBook Pro teardown
The new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro featuring a single-fan design | Source: iFixit

Both the 13- and 15-inch variants sport a new, streamlined heatsink which combines the thermal pads for the CPU and GPU. Previously, each chip -?in models with discrete GPUs --?had its own thermal pad, and the two were connected to the fans via heat pipes.

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro teardown
An updated heatsink design featuring a single thermal pad for both the CPU and GPU | Source: iFixit

The repair site also noted that the headphone jack is now soldered directly onto the logic board, rather than connected via a ribbon cable or wire. Since the headphone jack is one of the few parts in the laptops that is subjected to repeated wear and tension, it makes replacing the port expensive.

New PCIe-based storage
New PCI-e based flash storage for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup | Source: iFixit

In addition to the structural changes, both units feature faster PCIe-based storage, which comes in the form of a replaceable daughtercard. The laptops' other elements, including the display construction and battery placement, remain largely the same.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I though the 15 inch MBP came with crystalwell
  • Reply 2 of 31
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Nice glued together throwaway laptops. :-/
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New PCIe-based storage

New PCI-e based flash storage for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup | Source: iFixit

In addition to the structural changes, both units feature faster PCIe-based storage, which comes in the form of a replaceable daughtercard. The laptops' other elements, including the display construction and battery placement, remain largely the same.

So it sounds like the memory is upgradeable again in this latest revision. If it has returned to being upgradeable, even if only by Apple or approved repair companies, it should make people happy.

Unless I'm wrong & it's the SSD not system RAM.

• Reply 4 of 31
    SSDs don't offer enough space for a pro machine... was a fusion drive not possible?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

:no: No, they can be recycled via the appropriate sources, like at Apple Stores, & you get the benefit of getting an allowance on trade in at the Apple Stores.

I'm sure Tallest & the other regulars will agree.

• Reply 6 of 31
    Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Thanks for the FUD. When you feel like not lying anymore, feel free to keep posting.

• Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

SSDs don't offer enough space for a pro machine... was a fusion drive not possible?

Aren't the sizes increasing over time, & the cost decreasing a little?

• Reply 8 of 31
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

:no: No, they can be recycled via the appropriate sources, like at Apple Stores, & you get the benefit of getting an allowance on trade in at the Apple Stores.

Haters gotta find something to hate about.

Because, as we know, every non-Apple laptop buyer pulls apart their laptop regularly and upgrades all the components.  In fact, I've already started changing the way I design technology because everyone in the world has become a computer hardware genius with infinite amounts of time on their hands. /s

• Reply 9 of 31
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

"Since the headphone jack is one of the few parts in the laptops that is subjected to repeated wear and tension, it makes replacing the port expensive."

I think I've owned 7 Apple laptops and a few non-Apple ones and the one thing I've never had a problem with is the headphone jack.  Also the sentence doesn't make logical sense.  What makes replacing the jack expensive is the fact that it's now soldered; the "fact" that headphone jacks are likely to wear out is what it a bad choice to solder it.  Good thing they don't actually wear out, which Apple knows of course based on their repair records.

• Reply 10 of 31
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Haters gotta find something to hate about.

Because, as we know, every non-Apple laptop buyer pulls apart their laptop regularly and upgrades all the components.  In fact, I've already started changing the way I design technology because everyone in the world has become a computer hardware genius with infinite amounts of time on their hands. /s

Exactly.  In fact I do the same thing with everything I buy.  My car has a 30 year old chassie and a brand new hybrid engine and I recently switched from manual to automatic transmission.  Not one of those pesky throwaway cars that you can't upgrade.  Oh wait, I live in the real world and not some fantasyland.

• Reply 11 of 31
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

So it sounds like the memory is upgradeable again in this latest revision. If it has returned to being upgradeable, even if only by Apple or approved repair companies, it should make people happy.

Unless I'm wrong & it's the SSD not system RAM.

Doubt that it has 128 GB of RAM as is printed on this chip, apparently it is the SSD

• Reply 12 of 31
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

This makes me think that a Haswell i7 Mac Mini would be great: even more silent than the current generation (ie: the fan would spin less)

• Reply 13 of 31

Wow! I am continually impressed with Apple's improvements. They never stop modifying their product lines. They already own the $1,000+ laptop space (over 90% market share). 

Apple has really mastered the art of making laptops! :)

• Reply 14 of 31
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

How is 1TB not enough for a Notebook?

• Reply 15 of 31

If you’ve been paying attention to the MacBook Pro at all, no, it isn’t.

• Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

I though the 15 inch MBP came with crystalwell

Crystalwell is the code name for the new Iris Pro 5200 GPU. Haswell is intel code name for the CPU.

• Reply 17 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

The very fact that Apple keeps redesigning the internals of their machines, even while keeping the externals consistent, shows the level of attention to detail and care. 1 larger fan instead of 2 is definitely an improvement, which should lead to less weight, lower noise levels, less moving parts, more battery life, and more reliability. I think I'm gonna pick up one of these pro machines to replace my 2012" Macbook Air (which is actually still running flawlessly and is an impeccable machine) but haven't yet decided if I'll go for 13 or 15. 

• Reply 18 of 31
    rpt wrote: »
    Doubt that it has 128 GB of RAM as is printed on this chip, apparently it is the SSD

Indeed this is the SSD. The new iFixIt teardown of this machine clearly shows (and states) that the RAM is soldered to the board...so no user upgrades happening here unfortunately. So, for that entry level 13" rMBP it's an extra $100 to up it from 4GB to 8GB...or $300 (ouch!) from 4GB to 16GB.

Although didn't they say that with the memory compression in Mavericks the 4GB RAM is really more like 6GB :)
  • Reply 19 of 31
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    alienzed wrote: »

What does being a professional have to do with storage capacity. That isn't to say some professionals benefit from significantly more storage but there is CPU and GPU performance, display size and quality across various range as, and even expandability that can determine whether a notebook is the best option for a professional.

Whether you're a "professional" or a regular consumer you buy the best product for your needs. If that isn't an Apple product then so be it.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Yes, I noticed after I posted, but decided not to amend as someone else would point it out. 

125GB RAM would be 1 hell of a laptop though eh? ;)