Transitioning your Mac from Mountain Lion to Apple's new OS X 10.9 Mavericks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

After updating, neither Keynote and Pages displays the my selected corporate font (Century Gothic) correct. And the dumbed down Keynote 6 is pathetic. 

• Reply 22 of 39
    Originally Posted by Per Sjofors View Post

And the dumbed down Keynote 6 is pathetic

Yeah? In what capacity. To both bold words, please.

• Reply 23 of 39

OK, Tallest Skil. Your message made me try it again, and it is not as bad as I first thought. 

• Reply 24 of 39
    OK, Tallest Skil. Your message made me try it again, and it is not as bad as I first thought. 

LOL

It's fantastic is what it is... I'm so excited with all these updates. Just unprecedented level of refinements in these apps.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    This was pretty much an 0.0.x update that got a special name.

It was free, so no cause for complaint.
  • Reply 26 of 39

Mavericks not so great here.  2011 iMac 27" and 2011 MacBook Pro.  Upgraded from Mountain Lion and the Finder does not work as expected.  Finder tabs don't work and I cannot open separate windows, regardless of the Finder Preference for "Open Folders in Tabs instead of new windows".  It is working as if the setting was to show one window only, in previous versions of OS X.  As I open folders, tabs are not created and new windows are not created.  Even if I show the tab bar, new tabs are not created.  If I force a new window tab, new folders opened do not create new tabs or new windows.  Looks like I will have to waste a day doing an erase and clean install.

• Reply 27 of 39
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Finder tabs dont work

So you do Command+T; what happens?

…and I cannot open separate windows, regardless of the Finder Preference for “ pen Folders in Tabs instead of new windows".

This makes no sense. Open a folder, then open another folder. What happens?

• Reply 28 of 39

Here is what I found in the Apple Discussion Forums regarding the new, and undesirable Finder window behavior:

The command-double-click and option-double-click and contextual menu behavior depends on the a Finder Preference settings.

When "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" is checked:

- command-double-click opens the folder in a new tab in the same window

- option-double-click opens the folder in a new window and closes the previous window

- contextual menu has "Open In New Tab" as first item

- contextual menu with option key held down has "Open In New Window" as first item

When "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" is un-checked:

- command-double-click opens the folder in a new window but does not close the previous window

- option-double-click opens the folder in a new window and closes the previous window

- contextual menu has "Open In New Window" as first item

- contextual menu with option key held down has "Open In New Tab" as first item

If you ever forget to use any of the options above and accidentally open a folder with a simple double-click your window position and size will be change. You will have to move it back and resize it back the way it was. Argh!!!

The real problem with this is that it is destructive - you can't undo the changes to the window.

I really miss the original Finder behavior which was:

- double-click opens folder in a new window

- option-double-click opens folder in a new window and closes previous window

And, the window position, size, and view was never changed.

If the box is checked for Open folders in tabs instead of new windows, you have to hold the Command key to open a folder in a tab in the existing Finder window.  If the box is unchecked, you have to hold the Command key to open a folder in a new window.  If you do not hold the Command key, the window behavior acts like the previous Finder setting if "Always open a folder in a new window" was unchecked.  The setting leads you to believe if you uncheck the box, double-clicking a folder will open the folder in a new window without opening as a tab in the same window.  However, Apple wants to force us to open folders in the same window from now on, unless you hold the Command key.  You should not have to hold Command to open a folder in a tab if the box is checked.  You should not have to hold Command to open a folder in a new window if the box is unchecked.  The "open a new folder in the same window" is a Microsoft Windows feature that I despise.  I don't want Finder windows to act like a web browser.  Apple needs to restore the "Always open a folder in a new window" setting, without requiring the person to press the Command key to do it.  You can't manage files and folders in a single window environment.  So requiring key modifiers to do it is counter-productive.

• Reply 29 of 39

I love how the AppleInsider website is NOT Mavericks-compatible.  If you edit your post, the web content crashes in the new Safari and you get a message, "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" then you get the prompt to send a crash report to Apple.  Your edit is saved, but the page content crashes and re-loads.

• Reply 30 of 39
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I love how the AppleInsider website is NOT Mavericks-compatible.  If you edit your post, the web content crashes in the new Safari and you get a message, "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" then you get the prompt to send a crash report to Apple.  Your edit is saved, but the page content crashes and re-loads.

Seems fine to me. I mean, it always crashes, but I’ve never had a crash that didn’t save the just-edited content, so it’s not like it’s a crucial fix… :p 

• Reply 31 of 39
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogbot View Post

I've updated both my iMac and Macbook Pro to Mavericks and the transition couldn't have been smoother or easier. I've noticed significant performance increases in both machines and Anyone who doesn't see this as a valuable update is blinded by jealousy. This would be a costly update for any other Manufacturer but Apple is giving it up for Free. Thats something to be grateful for. I don't see any OS updates coming free from anyone else. That shows a commitment to the users, not to just the profit margin.

I had some serious problems upgrading my mac pro - I had to do a clean install on a different hard drive and use the migration assistant to move my data and applications over, the upgrade bricked my main install.

Things are fine now, except that Mavericks does not seem to work well with my Gefen KVM switch.  If I have the mouse and keyboard plugged into the computer directly everything is fine, but when they go through the KVM the computer loses contact and can't find them again.   The KVM isn't the issue, as it works fine with windows and pre-Mavericks macs.

• Reply 32 of 39
    hillstones wrote: »

I get the same multiple crashes after edits.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Seems fine to me. I mean, it always crashes, but I’ve never had a crash that didn’t save the just-edited content, so it’s not like it’s a crucial fix… :p  

This is also true. It'll crash, but actually post the text.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    You said that keyboard shortcut to switch between finder or Safari tabs is "Shift Command arrow". You probably meant to say "Shift Command Bracket".
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Originally Posted by ginsek View Post

You said that keyboard shortcut to switch between finder or Safari tabs is "Shift Command arrow". You probably meant to say "Shift Command Bracket".

Nope. Both work. As does Command+Tab.

• Reply 36 of 39
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">You said that keyboard shortcut to switch between finder or Safari tabs is "Shift Command arrow". You probably meant to say "Shift Command Bracket".</span>

Nope. Both work. As does Command+Tab.

That is correct, but I think he means switching between tabs. Which does work with Cmd-arrow, but not always. Cmd-Shift-[ or Cmd-Shift-] does.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    hillstones wrote: »
    If you ever forget to use any of the options above and accidentally open a folder with a simple double-click your window position and size will be change. You will have to move it back and resize it back the way it was. Argh!!!

Perhaps you might find this little app helpful
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/window-tidy/id456609775?l=en&mt=12
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is correct, but I think he means switching between tabs. Which does work with Cmd-arrow, but not always. Cmd-Shift-[ or Cmd-Shift-] does.

It always works with Command+Shift+Arrows. I’ve never had it work with Command+Arrows (that’s set to change Spaces for me, anyway).

• Reply 39 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It always works with Command+Shift+Arrows. I’ve never had it work with Command+Arrows (that’s set to change Spaces for me, anyway).

Oops - that certainly was a stupid omission on my part!