Robotic testing finds touchscreen inaccuracies at edge of iPhone display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Not what I've experienced with either the 5 or my current 5s. Touch accuracy appears normal and there are a couple of apps that have controls very close to edges, like Podcasts, with no issue I've noticed.

Shrug.

Plus since I don't use a stylus I'm uncertain how relevant that test is in the real world…. might also be interesting to see multiple phones tested. The article says "an" iPhone etc. single samples aren't all that significant for measurement purposes….

ETA: Plus given finger touch processing is a single-point test even an accurate way to address screen input response? 

• Reply 22 of 146
    The only problem I seem to have is occasionally hiring backspace when pressing the m key. Maybe 10% of the time on my 5s. On the 5, more like 3%
  • Reply 23 of 146
    Peppiopoiioppppaaqqqqmlllpppppoiiopppqqqwqwqwqwopooppooiilpoipp

Worked good so far. I call BS on their testing methods. Apple applies a lot of heuristics to the touch input to weed out false touches from what the user actually wants. Thus would make it practically impossible to do this type of automated testing because you have no way of knowing if and under what circumstances the heuristics are doing anything.

Less than 1mm is "accurate"? Where did they get this figure from? Is it a standardized published specification? Who published it? And how come the previous test drew straight lines and this one used a keyboard? How can they compare results from 2010 to now when the testing methodologies are completely different?

Completely bogus study by someone again looking to generate traffic by bashing Apple over some useless metric.

Heuristics? LOL!
  • Reply 24 of 146
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Doesn't make sense that Apple would use an inferior touchscreen after having had the best before. Is it possible that iOS7 controls the accuracy of the touchscreen based on some special intelligence built into iOS7? The iPads have some sort of special intelligent sensitivity near the bezels to avoid inadvertent touches being registered. Is this a similar thing? I guess ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE but I will reserve making any judgements until I try it myself along with seeing / hearing what other people experience.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

From the report:

"Everybody can do this same test with a real device. For example: you can try to tap the letter P

(English keyboard) when your finger is close to the right side of the screen. In many cases smartphone

does not react to your tap because touch result is reported outside of the button (as seen on Image

6). Also letters I, O and P are not responding as well as letters E,R,T,Y and U because the touch

accuracy is not constant. This will cause extra typing errors that are not actually caused by the end

user but the smartphone. "

http://www.optofidelity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/OF_iPhone5C_vs_iPhone5C.pdf

No problems here on my 5s dude. Are you having these issues on your 5c?  Just out of curiosity. 

• Reply 26 of 146
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Why are new Apple's new phones (and both models!) being tested against last year's G S3?

"analysis marks a change from 2010" -- no, not really, it's not even remotely the same test

Also: users are not reporting inaccurate touches. And this is measuring dots. Multitouch doesn't return dot accuracy by millimeters to apps; it registers fat finger presses in oval areas, and does lots of math to determine the intent of the press or swipe or tap.

Real reasoning!

Peppiopoiioppppaaqqqqmlllpppppoiiopppqqqwqwqwqwopooppooiilpoipp

Worked good so far. I call BS on their testing methods. Apple applies a lot of heuristics to the touch input to weed out false touches from what the user actually wants. Thus would make it practically impossible to do this type of automated testing because you have no way of knowing if and under what circumstances the heuristics are doing anything.

Less than 1mm is "accurate"? Where did they get this figure from? Is it a standardized published specification? Who published it? And how come the previous test drew straight lines and this one used a keyboard? How can they compare results from 2010 to now when the testing methodologies are completely different?

Completely bogus study by someone again looking to generate traffic by bashing Apple over some useless metric.

More real reasoning!
  • Reply 27 of 146
    And how much did Samsung pay to subsidize this 'wonderful' test?
  • Reply 28 of 146
    Fascinating.

There is a group of folks who never experience and unfailingly refute every reported problem on iPhones.

Then there is a group that jumps on the same problems and shout "gotcha".

Which group is more credible?
  • Reply 29 of 146
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can anyone who owns a 5S or 5C confirm this?

I have a 5s and think I might be making typing mistakes I hadn't made before. Seems to be on the edges. Interesting and worth looking into but it hasn't been a source of frustration by any means. Of course I've been very impressed by the phone in general (fast touch response, fast page/app loading, fast fastness) so maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    stelligent wrote: »
    Heuristics? LOL!

What's your point?
  • Reply 31 of 146
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

....... Completely bogus study by someone again looking to generate traffic by bashing Apple over some useless metric.

I agree ... this "report" doesn't pass the smell test. The first sentence in their "report" :   Out of curiosity, OptoFidelity test patrol engineers wanted to see what differences in performance our untouchable robot systems could find between iPhone 5 S and iPhone C and would that difference guide consumer to pick right version. 

Out of curiosity ???   Give me a break ... and they were just as "curious", I suppose, to "test"it against Galaxy S3 .... how "convenient".  I sense this is more of Samsung's dirty tricks campaign.  Just another paid shill working for the world's most shameful company.  :no:

• Reply 32 of 146
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Well. Good thing I'm not a robot!

This may well be the most on point response.

• Reply 33 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Something tell me that their top manufacturer samsung had something to do with it. It's weird how the iPhone 5s works so well but when the amazing 64bit A7 iPhone with ID sensor came the screens sensitivity is bad. I blame samsung.

You are aware that samsung also make that Amazing 64bit A7?

Also AFAIK, 5s/c use same display as 5, manufactured by Sharp, Japan Display and LG display. No samsung.

• Reply 34 of 146

On my 5s I did notice some inaccuracies when running 7.0.2 but they seemed to disappear with 7.0.3 just like the calibration and motion issues with this release.  Just did the "p" and "q" test without a problem and the "now playing" button works ok too.  People with the issue, what version are you using?

• Reply 35 of 146
    I own a 5s 64... I have zero issues....
    I tried to duplicate the problem after reading the article... Again zero issues... Works like a charm.

I have a strong feeling this Nothing but bogus reporting.
  • Reply 36 of 146
    djsherly wrote: »
    The nike+ app! I thought I was losing my mind when I thought that run button was unresponsive.

I saw in another thread that you were also having trouble with the Touch ID sensor. Are by chance a guitar player with callouses? Suffer from cold hands?

Maybe you should make a video showing us these problems. Otherwise we have no way to judge your credibility.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    flaneur wrote: »
    What's your point?

If you have to ask ...

Why don't you make it up like you're prone to doing?
  • Reply 38 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What are the results of the GS4 and Notes?
  • Reply 39 of 146
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    This may well be the most on point response.

Only from an ignorant perspective
  • Reply 40 of 146
    "Sorry,
    jungmark wrote: »
    What are the results of the GS4 and Notes?

"Sorry, we weren't paid to test those devices."