Robotic testing finds touchscreen inaccuracies at edge of iPhone display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    flaneur wrote: »
    I saw in another thread that you were also having trouble with the Touch ID sensor. Are by chance a guitar player with callouses? Suffer from cold hands?

Maybe you should make a video showing us these problems. Otherwise we have no way to judge your credibility.

Careful calling others on their credibility. It's not hard bringing up your past fictional masterpieces to remind us of your credibility.
  • Reply 42 of 146
    When will people understand that "I've never seen this problem" means nothing?

I don't make up stories in a forum. That doesn't mean there aren't people like Flaneur who do.
  • Reply 43 of 146
  • Reply 44 of 146
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"President Barack Obama eats orphans, live.

I’ve never seen him do this, but he does.”

• Reply 45 of 146
    What I've seen in iPhone 5 and 5s (but not in 4S and previous versions) is a greater probability of trying to type M, L or N and ending up deleting the previous character instead.

It's about time this type of testing is done and reported.

Have to say, I have experienced this on occasion. Thought it was an adjustment to getting used to the 4" screen, bit still persists a year later. The biggest issue is m and the ???? key. M's end up missing an awful lot.
  • Reply 46 of 146
    I had a very hard time trying to find a problem typing any characters around the edge. I wonder if this is something that only applies to screens form a specific supplier.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I play the EA Scrabble app on my iPhone a lot, and I've been playing for years.  I have recently had "trouble" selecting the leftmost tile from the tray.  I just looked into this more carefully in my 5s and touches that appear to be well within the bounds of the tile rectangle but left of center often fail to work.  The tile's only a little smaller than iPhone app icons, so they should be easy to tap every time.  So there is clearly something wrong--with something.  It could very well be the latest version of the Scrabble app or it could be a sensor problem or an iOS7 problem.  I'll try it on my iOS 6 iPhone 4s tonight.  If it has the same problem there, I'll chalk this up to an application bug (wouldn't be the first).  If not, there might be something to this report.

I mention this in case people want to test their own phones and they have the Scrabble app handy.

• Reply 48 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

What I've seen in iPhone 5 and 5s (but not in 4S and previous versions) is a greater probability of trying to type M, L or N and ending up deleting the previous character instead.

It's about time this type of testing is done and reported.

I didn't have any problems on my 3GS. But on my iPhone 5, I would always hit backspace instead of M. I thought it was me. Strange thing is, I just checked on my 5S (just picked up this morning) and I'm not having any problems at all. I'd be interested in seeing the sample size they used. It might just be a problem with a handful of devices and not something widespread. 

• Reply 49 of 146
    Hmm seems to me that this is a lot of FUD. The active region is the keyboard area so why would anyone expect less. And it's custom software that happens to report that the competition is 100% perfect.

No chance this is a rigged test of course.
  • Reply 50 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Have to say, I have experienced this on occasion. Thought it was an adjustment to getting used to the 4" screen, bit still persists a year later. The biggest issue is m and the ???? key. M's end up missing an awful lot.

Yup. I am reasonably certain that I didn't see this problem with 4 and 4S. But started seeing it with 5 and now 5s. 

• Reply 51 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Example, the new swipe left to delete in email, constantly must redo. Ususally end up accidently opening the mail. Im also seem to be tapping multiple times to open something. That was not the case on the 4s(ios6).

Whether this is 'just me', new to iphone 5 screen or is it an iOS7 issue, dunno.

Is it overwhelming enough to take the phone back etc-no; is it noticable and can be a bit irksome-for me yes.

This has been happening to me on my iPhone 4S, but only after upgrading to iOS 7. Maybe part of the problem is iOS 7?

• Reply 52 of 146
    j2fusion wrote: »
    On my 5s I did notice some inaccuracies when running 7.0.2 but they seemed to disappear with 7.0.3 just like the calibration and motion issues with this release.  Just did the "p" and "q" test without a problem and the "now playing" button works ok too.  People with the issue, what version are you using?

I just went to 7.0.3 last night.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

I didn't have any problems on my 3GS. But on my iPhone 5, I would always hit backspace instead of M. I thought it was me. Strange thing is, I just checked on my 5S (just picked up this morning) and I'm not having any problems at all. I'd be interested in seeing the sample size they used. It might just be a problem with a handful of devices and not something widespread. 

Maybe you and I share the same genetic disease :)

• Reply 54 of 146
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Only from an ignorant perspective

Because real world actual biological fingers being the designed input signal can be accurately simulated by a robotic single-point mechanical pointer?

Not really.

That's a great stylus input metric, biological fingers? Different system design. 

No doubt my 90's Palm Titanium PDA would have loved that test. But it's no longer the 90's.

• Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:

Careful calling others on their credibility. It's not hard bringing up your past fictional masterpieces to remind us of your credibility.

Quote:

I don't make up stories in a forum. That doesn't mean there aren't people like Flaneur who do.

Geez, do you have to be so personal with him? He is hardly the only one who enjoys sounding like an expert. Just let people have their fun.

• Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

The only problem I seem to have is occasionally hiring backspace when pressing the m key. Maybe 10% of the time on my 5s. On the 5, more like 3%

I'm having this problem on my iPhone 4S, probably close to the same percentages as you, but I'd say 10% of the time after upgrading to iOS 7, and 3% when using previous versions of iOS. Not sure if it's a software glitch or if it's just that the location of keys changed slightly in iOS 7.

• Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:

That adds to the sample size: otherwise the observed sample is biased to the negative observations alone.

Data should cover the spectrum or it's rather useless and risks being highly misleading.

• Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Because real world actual biological fingers being the designed input signal can be accurately simulated by a robotic single-point mechanical pointer?

Not really.

That's a great stylus input metric, biological fingers? Different system design. 

No doubt my 90's Palm Titanium PDA would have loved that test. But it's no longer the 90's.

A fair point, to an extent.

But, as I and others have pointed out, we are seeing problems (seemingly) related to the problems identified in this robotic test.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That adds to the sample size: otherwise the observed sample is biased to the negative observations alone.

Data should cover the spectrum or it's rather useless and risks being highly misleading.

I disagree, again, to an extent. The discussion is about whether a problem exists and not about pervasiveness. Therefore, anecdotes about not seeing the problem doesn't add to and subtract from the existence of the problem. Some of us clearly notice issues. If you choose to ignore that and focus on those claiming no problem, then your method is flawed, with all due respect.

As Stelligent also pointed out, there are folks here who refute every single issue reported. That's just not an unbiased perspective.

• Reply 59 of 146
    Why wasn't the iPhone 5 included in the test? Two new Apple units and one older Samsung unit... Seems really odd, as usual with anti-Apple tests. Bad Samsung.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

A fair point, to an extent.

But, as I and others have pointed out, we are seeing problems (seemingly) related to the problems identified in this robotic test.

I disagree, again, to an extent. The discussion is about whether a problem exists and not about pervasiveness. Therefore, anecdotes about not seeing the problem doesn't add to and subtract from the existence of the problem. Some of us clearly notice issues. If you choose to ignore that and focus on those claiming no problem, then your method is flawed, with all due respect.

As Stelligent also pointed out, there are folks here who refute every single issue reported. That's just not an unbiased perspective.

Neither is labeling a different experience/viewpoint "ignorant". Though it puts Stelligent into clear perspective.