Apple exec involved in Mac hardware hired away by Tesla

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe he can be responsible for keeping Android out of the best cars available.

What makes them the best cars available? They have a lot of issues.

First they ditched the analog tactile system controls and put everything in the touch screen which is basically an accident waiting to happen because the driver needs to drill down through a menu system to do simple things like adjust the AC temperature.

Another thing they got wrong is the regenerative braking options. Again you have to drill down the menu system to change the setting unlike other electric cars that provide a physical switch which makes it simple to switch back and forth between regular and sport, sort of like an overdrive.

Another issue in the long list of problems is the lack of creep in stop and go traffic. All automatic transmission cars, and other electric cars, have the feature that when you take your foot off the brake the car will creep forward. Not the Tesla. you have to actually press the accelerator to move forward, which means you're on and off switching from the brake to the accelerator back and forth sometimes to the point of causing fatigue.

Another annoyance is the battery reserve gauge. It doesn't tell you the percentage remaining just a line and an estimate of distance based on the driving conditions, but since the car doesn't know what sort of driving is ahead such as hilly terrain or high speed interstate, the estimate is often wrong.

There is very little storage for things near the driver such as no where to put toll booth change, drink holders, etc.

Adding to the list of issues is the windshield's tendency to easily crack, poor climate controls and greatly reduced range if you use the feeble AC or the heat. Also the clever hidden charging plug is in the back which makes it incompatible with most charging stations which are designed for nose in parking. Another common problem is with the door handles intermittently not deploying automatically. the list goes on.

So no, it is not the best car available. Beautiful, fast, expensive. but not best.

• Reply 22 of 37
    Wow! This guy gets to work for my two favorite companies!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You're both right.

In silicon valley (and other places), 5 years are a long time. Many stay until their options vest, and then move on. Tony Fadell, for example, stayed ~ 6 yrs. The pressure, in many companies, not easy to bear. More than one engineer at Apple sacrificed their marriage for the iPhone.

But there are also those who stay, and climb the ranks.

Most of Apple's SVPs have been there for a long time. Eddy Cue over 24 years, Jony Ive 21 and Phil Schller 16 years. But they may be the exception to the norm.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    you're right - Tim as CEO running it and making it work, Elon as visionary, Jony as designer

That's a good one. You need to use the sarcasm tag.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

First they ditched the analog tactile system controls and put everything in the touch screen which is basically an accident waiting to happen because the driver needs to drill down through a menu system to do simple things like adjust the AC temperature.

Another thing they got wrong is the regenerative braking options. Again you have to drill down the menu system to change the setting unlike other electric cars that provide a physical switch which makes it simple to switch back and forth between regular and sport, sort of like an overdrive.

Another issue in the long list of problems is the lack of creep in stop and go traffic. All automatic transmission cars, and other electric cars, have the feature that when you take your foot off the brake the car will creep forward. Not the Tesla. you have to actually press the accelerator to move forward, which means you're on and off switching from the brake to the accelerator back and forth sometimes to the point of causing fatigue.

Another annoyance is the battery reserve gauge. It doesn't tell you the percentage remaining just a line and an estimate of distance based on the driving conditions, but since the car doesn't know what sort of driving is ahead such as hilly terrain or high speed interstate, the estimate is often wrong.

There is very little storage for things near the driver such as no where to put toll booth change, drink holders, etc.

Adding to the list of issues is the windshield's tendency to easily crack, poor climate controls and greatly reduced range if you use the feeble AC or the heat. Also the clever hidden charging plug is in the back which makes it incompatible with most charging stations which are designed for nose in parking. Another common problem is with the door handles intermittently not deploying automatically. the list goes on.

So no, it is not the best car available. Beautiful, fast, expensive. but not best.

It is such a shame they will never be able to fix any of these major issues.

• Reply 26 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It is such a shame they will never be able to fix any of these major issues.

Why do you say that? Everything is fixable but they don't get the title of "best car" until they do.

• Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Cool. Maybe he can get Tesla to do more Apple-Tesla collaboration.

My first thought, too!

I'm not crazy about having Android in my car.

• Reply 28 of 37
    Thunderbolt: Coming to a Tesla near you...
  • Reply 29 of 37
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Does he engineer Apple's unibody that strengthens the metal?... This Tesla could have sure used it!
  • Reply 30 of 37

Doug was sent to Tesla just like Fredo was sent out to Vegas in the Godfather, learn the business, make friends, then BAM!  Apple moves in and takes the whole joint over...  Tim makes Elon an offer he can't refuse.

• Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Cool. Maybe he can get Tesla to do more Apple-Tesla collaboration.

My first thought, too!

I'm not crazy about having Android in my car.

My thought too. The only thing that makes me not put it in the Top 5 list of possibilities for my next vehicle.

That said, here's an interesting observation, fwiw: I happened to be at 1 Infinite Loop this summer, and noticed there were two Teslas charging in the 'prime' (I am guessing executive) parking spots!

• Reply 32 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Doug Field, a five-year employee of Apple working in the company's Mac hardware group, has been hired away by electric car-maker Tesla after receiving a hot offer.

• Reply 33 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Maybe this will end now. We can but hope. Tesla represents quality after all.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe this will end now. We can but hope. Tesla represents quality after all.

What are the alternatives? iOS in the Car is essentially an interface for a connected iDevice, not an OS for a standalone computer.

• Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That "feature" that allows those cars to creep along un-attended isn't a feature at all but the residual effect of the reciprocating mass of the engine being incrementally transmitted through the clutch, transmission, and remaining drivetrain. Vehicles in which the engine can be completely dis-engaged (i.e. manual transmission, dual-clutch ) don't creep.

Ease of parking notwithstanding, a driver of a USD$70K car should be able to back into a slot as easily as nose in.

Toll change? That so 1990's. In Tesla's home territory, all the toll roads and bridges use wireless fare transponders and one bridge has no toll-takers at all.

"...since the car doesn't know what sort of driving is ahead such as hilly terrain or high speed interstate, the estimate is often wrong."

So, you're asking for an accurate utilization projection based on unknown consumption metrics. When you find the machine that can do that, sell it to me. It will make my job a hell of a lot easier.

• Reply 36 of 37
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Man that'a cool onboard computer, just no one tell Werner Herzog.

• Reply 37 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

You all thought you were the biggest fanboys, it looks like the Tesla owners of giving the Apple Fanclub a run for their money

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-customers-reach-ultimate-cult-level-status/story?id=20967050

But I have to say I put Apple and BMW fans in the same book they are both extremely passionate.