Robotic testing finds touchscreen inaccuracies at edge of iPhone display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    "While the latest test suggests the outside of Apple's iPhone displays may experience inaccuracies, the iPhone still leads the way when it comes to responsiveness. One study published last month by Agawi found the iPhone 5 display to be twice as fast as competing Android-based handsets."

Hmm. . .
    So faster mistakes then according to AI. What an odd way to attach a positive to a negative finding (if true). :err:

Or you could say Android devices are slower and less accurate than iPhones. Or do you have evidence to the contrary?
  • Reply 102 of 146
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rrobr wrote: »
    Just tried on my 5S. Zero problems with any key in any orientation. Don't recall it being a problem on my 4S or 3GS, either. And I have fat fingers.

Good thing I'm not a robot!

Touch-gate for Robots! LOL.

Of course the same test would be interesting on an array of Android devices.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

The feature I find most interesting are the images themselves. Based on a picture alone we're to believe fully more than half of the screen on any new iPhone is less than 1mm accurate. I mean clearly we are not just talking about the edges, the entire top half of the screen basically wouldn't work if you had to shift 1mm for every action. Christ what BS. The screen depicted in the images probably would most likely be completely unusable.

Excellent point.  Those pictures seem to imply that only a small section of the screens work well, and that's clearly not the case.

• Reply 104 of 146

That would explain the problem I'm having with one app. This app displays a list of items with checkboxes along the outer left edge. Often, and repeatedly, I try to check the boxes and the app instead responds by bringing up information on the item instead. 

As far as keyboard accuracy, I've always had problems with 'M' regardless of phone or iPad. When I want to hit the space bar, m appears instead. Something like "I'mmcomingmhomemformdinnermamlittlemlate."

• Reply 105 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That would explain the problem I'm having with one app. This app displays a list of items with checkboxes along the outer left edge. Often, and repeatedly, I try to check the boxes and the app instead responds by bringing up information on the item instead. 

As far as keyboard accuracy, I've always had problems with 'M' regardless of phone or iPad. When I want to hit the space bar, m appears instead. Something like "I'mmcomingmhomemformdinnermamlittlemlate."

I've had problems with I and O. When I watch for it while typing real fast I can hit the correct letter. If I'm typing real fast and not thinking about it I always hit the other vowel.
  • Reply 106 of 146

Before people accuse me of being anti-Apple, or crazy, (or both) let me provide my bona-fides. Mac owner since 1993. I've had every iPhone from the original to the 5s (no 5c.) I'm an Apple fan, a Mac guy, ad an iPhone owner. Search for my previous posts here.

I think this has to do with iOS 7. (I don't have an iOS 6 device to compare it against.)

I did this on my 5s, once with my finger, and once with a tablet touch pen that I use when testing application on the Android devices at work.

1)First take off any case you have on your iPhone.

2)Go to the home screen of your springboard.

3)Swipe down to reveal the Search Bar (,this will bring the keyboard out too.)

Here's where I can see the issue:

Attempt to click the "Cancel" button by tapping the right side of the word directly in the middle and baseline, like on the "cel" letters in "Cancel."

Result for me is that the "Cancel" button does not register a press. 

I can get it to register a press by clicking in this way:

1)Click on the capital "C" in "Cancel"

2)Clicking the "cel" of "Cancel" just below the letter's baseline but still within the blue bar.

I repeated this same test with a known "good" iPhone 5 and it had the same issue. (It was my old iPhone 5 I sold to a co-worker which had it's touch screen replace in late July.)

Now do this (with the search bar and keyboard still present):

1)Click on the right side of the P button on the keyboard. Aim as far right as you can.

Result:The P registers properly and is shown in the search bar. Type a few more letters for the next step.

2)Click the delete button on the keyboard (which is just above the Search key at the very bottom) and aim for it's outer right edge.

Result for me: It worked sometimes, but not other times.

3)Click on the left side of the "Q" button on the keyboard.

Result: The Q registers properly and is shown in the search bar.

4)Click on the "123" button at the bottom left of the keyboard. Aim as far left as you can by the "1"

Result: The button is triggered sometimes, but not all of the time.  (Make sure you have some letters in the search are before performing the next step or the button will not be active.)

5)Try to click the very right edge of the "Search" button, on the "arch" or "rch" letters.

Result: The "Search" button is not triggered most of the time. You can trigger it by clicking on the "S" or to the right of the "S" (but still to the left of the space bar.)

My theory is: I think the software behavior that has the phone attempt to disregard "accidental touches" is suppressing the button pushes when they are near the top and bottom outer edges of the device.

This, combined with iOS 7's new layout styles of placing "buttons" to the very edges is leading to some frustration for some users. The buttons I originally posted about being non-responsive in other apps , such as Music or Nike+ are 

Just my thoughts.

• Reply 107 of 146
    I notice this on the 5s playing Candy Crush Saga (Please don't judge me!). I get significantly more mistaske moves and fails to detect fingers on the edge than I has with my 4s.
  • Reply 108 of 146
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Before people accuse me of being anti-Apple, or crazy, (or both) let me provide my bona-fides...

And this is as far as anyone is going to read.

When will you people learn that claiming to own a ton of Apple stuff doesn't make your arguments more valid nor does it make your opinion more credible?
  • Reply 109 of 146

I just tested with my 5s by repeatedly tapping each key on the virtual keyboard and didn't see any difference wherever i tapped.   I also have a galaxy S3 and didn't see any difference there either.  One thing i've noticed is that everything is larger on the S3 so you don't have to be that accurate.

Btw, why would the testing use the S3 instead of S4?? Could it be because S4 is worse than S3.   Is this company sponsored by Samsung by any chance?

• Reply 110 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

Before people accuse me of being anti-Apple, or crazy, (or both) let me provide my bona-fides. Mac owner since 1993. I've had every iPhone from the original to the 5s (no 5c.) I'm an Apple fan, a Mac guy, ad an iPhone owner. Search for my previous posts here.

I think this has to do with iOS 7. (I don't have an iOS 6 device to compare it against.)

I did this on my 5s, once with my finger, and once with a tablet touch pen that I use when testing application on the Android devices at work.

1)First take off any case you have on your iPhone.

2)Go to the home screen of your springboard.

3)Swipe down to reveal the Search Bar (,this will bring the keyboard out too.)

Here's where I can see the issue:

Attempt to click the "Cancel" button by tapping the right side of the word directly in the middle and baseline, like on the "cel" letters in "Cancel."

Result for me is that the "Cancel" button does not register a press. 

I can get it to register a press by clicking in this way:

1)Click on the capital "C" in "Cancel"

2)Clicking the "cel" of "Cancel" just below the letter's baseline but still within the blue bar.

I repeated this same test with a known "good" iPhone 5 and it had the same issue. (It was my old iPhone 5 I sold to a co-worker which had it's touch screen replace in late July.)

Now do this (with the search bar and keyboard still present):

1)Click on the right side of the P button on the keyboard. Aim as far right as you can.

Result:The P registers properly and is shown in the search bar. Type a few more letters for the next step.

2)Click the delete button on the keyboard (which is just above the Search key at the very bottom) and aim for it's outer right edge.

Result for me: It worked sometimes, but not other times.

3)Click on the left side of the "Q" button on the keyboard.

Result: The Q registers properly and is shown in the search bar.

4)Click on the "123" button at the bottom left of the keyboard. Aim as far left as you can by the "1"

Result: The button is triggered sometimes, but not all of the time.  (Make sure you have some letters in the search are before performing the next step or the button will not be active.)

5)Try to click the very right edge of the "Search" button, on the "arch" or "rch" letters.

Result: The "Search" button is not triggered most of the time. You can trigger it by clicking on the "S" or to the right of the "S" (but still to the left of the space bar.)

My theory is: I think the software behavior that has the phone attempt to disregard "accidental touches" is suppressing the button pushes when they are near the top and bottom outer edges of the device.

This, combined with iOS 7's new layout styles of placing "buttons" to the very edges is leading to some frustration for some users. The buttons I originally posted about being non-responsive in other apps , such as Music or Nike+ are 

Just my thoughts.

All worked fine, nothing odd on my end. I'm wondering if this is actually an issue with some of the sensors.

• Reply 111 of 146
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Maybe you should make a video showing us these problems. Otherwise we have no way to judge your credibility.

Welcome to Apple Insider Forum, where any remark not overtly fawning over Apple is viewed with suspicion and McCarthy-istic loyalty tests. Pathetic.

Orwell got it wrong. Forget Big Brother, the real threat to truth and justice is oppression by the "faithful."

• Reply 112 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

And this is as far as anyone is going to read.

When will you people learn that claiming to own a ton of Apple stuff doesn't make your arguments more valid nor does it make your opinion more credible?

Why don't you read the post and decide for yourself??

• Reply 113 of 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferBoi View Post

[...] you might want to bias the hit points in a different direction to compensate for the fact that your thumb is actually contorting to hit other areas, and different parts of your thumb are useful depending on where it touches.

I wonder if there's a way to find out whether or not Apple really does apply weighting to compensate for thumb parallax? If so, it would explain why I get mis-types on keys I'm POSITIVE I hit dead on. Maybe the "hot zone" is not actually within the boundaries of the screen image of the key.

• Reply 114 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Why don't you read the post and decide for yourself??

Good post but you don't need to state you've owned Apple products since 1993.

It seems reasonable. A bit too long for my ADD.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Are you nuts? I tried to defend you, and yet you admit to making up stuff?

Humor, yes?

If not, please go back and read what (s)he wrote: "...make up FOR a general lack of reading comprehension..."

I thought it was one of the better posts in this thread, and made Flaneur seem a much more sympathetic character!

• Reply 116 of 146
    When did SadScum buy OptoInfidelity?

Clearly my iPhone was never designed to be used with a pointy stylus, unlike other brands that aren't clever enough to work out where my finger is touching.
  • Reply 117 of 146
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    ????????????????????????

It doesn't mean anything and no big deal but great for those who love to nit pick.
  • Reply 118 of 146
    Forgive me if I missed someone else say this. Could this be due to the software for dealing with accidental/stray touches on the edges? That the robot isn't subtle enough?

Just spitballing.

Plus, the S3 image is a perfect frame. The iPhone looks alive.
  • Reply 119 of 146
    v5v wrote: »
    Welcome to Apple Insider Forum, where any remark not overtly fawning over Apple is viewed with suspicion and McCarthy-istic loyalty tests. Pathetic.

Orwell got it wrong. Forget Big Brother, the real threat to truth and justice is oppression by the "faithful."

Oh don't be so dramatic. This isn't a police state and you know it.
  • Reply 120 of 146
    Haven't noticed any problems with my iPhone 5s. Based on what the article claimed, I did a search for 'iPhone typing test' and am getting around 45 wpm without many errors. I only did the test around 5 times but I did not have any difficulty with outlying keys like Q, A, P or L. Maybe I just got lucky, but this doesn't seem to be an issue for my phone.