Mac owners adopting OS X Mavericks 3X faster than Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rasimo wrote: »
    I just wish I didn't have to download the 4gb Mavericks update each time for the four Macs at my house... And then all the iWork apps 4 times afterwards.

That's a unique complaint.

I can't get my free software fast enough! :)
  • Reply 62 of 95
    iOS has become as big of an OS as OSX and Apple has offered iOS for free for years now. It makes sense that OSX would follow suit...
  • Reply 63 of 95
    jungmark wrote: »
    I can't get my free software fast enough! :)
    Exactly! :)
  • Reply 64 of 95
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Mac OS used to be free. Back to the good 'ol days.

I need Endnote X5 to function properly, anyone with a heads up? Have delayed until my current paper was finished, in review now. Anyone use a LaTeX editor such as LyX? (Need that to work properly too.)

My university IT sent out a warning yesterday advising that both EndNote (they didn't say what version) and MS Office 2011 had conflicts. Whether they'll acknowledge when the application manuf. roll out patches I couldn't say…. I'm just going to read the details when I run MS updater. Endnote itself may have a notice on their website.

As of just now MS had no updates available.

• Reply 65 of 95
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

"Free" at its best work!  See if Windows will follow...

• Reply 66 of 95
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

Hmm... you're making me think twice about upgrade.

Maybe Maverick is design for easier NSA tracking...  paranoid. :err:

• Reply 67 of 95
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Hmm... you're making me think twice about upgrade.

Maybe Maverick is design for easier NSA tracking...  paranoid. :err:

well, Mavericks is doing sandboxing Flash in Safari, so that doesn't sound like it's making anything easier.

I think you guys are just adding unnecessary paranoia.  You might want to scale back the drugs/alcohol consumption if you are consuming that stuff in the first place.  that's usually the source that fuels paranoid behavior.

• Reply 68 of 95
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

What’s relatively annoying is that Windows users can still sync their iPhones and iPads with their computer over USB but Mac users are forced to use iCloud. No more USB syncing via iTunes.

Like millions of other Mac users, I run my business on my Macs and synching across devices and computers is critical. Who wants to bet the ranch on iCloud? I'm certainly not big on risking my income, home, business, family on Apple's cloud performance and policy.

How many times has Apple broken this cloud service or abandoned that functionality? Apple has a long legacy of truly, truly bad cloud service. Who knows what their whim will be tomorrow? They are proven to be an undependable cloud vendor. MobileMe left all sorts of victims across the web – lost photos, lost documents, lost web sites.

Too much risk. And it’s damn odd that Windows users are treated better than we are by Apple.

• Reply 69 of 95
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

What’s relatively annoying is that Windows users can still sync their iPhones and iPads with their computer over USB but Mac users are forced to use iCloud. No more USB syncing via iTunes.

Like millions of other Mac users, I run my business on my Macs and synching across devices and computers is critical. Who wants to bet the ranch on iCloud? I'm certainly not big on risking my income, home, business, family on Apple's cloud performance and policy.

How many times has Apple broken this cloud service or abandoned that functionality? Apple has a long legacy of truly, truly bad cloud service. Who knows what their whim will be tomorrow? They are proven to be an undependable cloud vendor. MobileMe left all sorts of victims across the web – lost photos, lost documents, lost web sites.

Too much risk. And it’s damn odd that Windows users are treated better than we are by Apple.

"No more USB syncing via iTunes"

"

iOS: Syncing your data with iTunes

Learn how to sync the data on your iOS device with iTunes on your computer using USB or Wi-Fi

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

Only for some content:

"What you can sync

• Applications

• Audio content (music, podcasts, audiobooks, and iTunes U content)

• Bookmarks*

• Books

• Contacts*

• Calendars*

• Movies and TV shows

• Photos

• Notes*

• Documents (File Sharing apps only)

• Ringtones

*To sync this content on an iOS device using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later, use iCloud or another cloud-based service."

So it appears if you don't trust APPLE then another cloud based service will work for Contacts, Calendars and Notes. I get the intent, anyway: cloud synced things like calendars will stay current across all the devices without having to be hardwired and synced.

• Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:

Mac users aren't FORCED into using iCloud, but it is easier and it allows automatic syncing between iOS and OS X devices.  It works great.

Broken the Cloud service?  You mean had it down for a couple of hours because they are upgrading, updating or some other beyond their control issue that got fixed?

Microsoft users have their own Cloud services.  I know people that use iOS devices that didn't set up their iCloud account, so you aren't FORCED.  They don't twist your arm, they also allow you to sync via USB or WIFi, etc.   You seem to exclude other ways of using the product.

MobileMe is past history.  They have made improvements, but if your photos are THAT important, you should have several copies in different places and maybe different forms of media.  Apple's Cloud Service is no worse than anyone else's.  If your photos are important, sync them to your computer whether it's Windows or OS X.  Please don't be so naive and ignorant as to use your devices to solve whatever personal issues you have.  ICloud is useful, but it's not mandatory.

• Reply 71 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I can't help but wonder why they are offering a major upgrade for free and covering so many model's over so many model years.

Not making paranoid accusations, just seems a little odd.

Good observation, I think Apple is helping the trend of free upgrades, similar to the trend in mobile apps. But more importantly, this will help put some pressure on Microsoft who sells their OS to stay in business, while Apple's is free. Microsoft Office is how much? Apple's "office" on the other hand (while with lesser functionality) is also free and good enough to get you started. Great incentive for students.

So now you buy a Mac you also get email, browser, word-processor, spreadsheet, presentation, internet collaboration, and other useful dingbats. Unless you're a designer, it's a true turnkey system. This is very much unlike Windows, where Outlook comes with Office.

Well played Apple, well played :)

• Reply 72 of 95
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

My university IT sent out a warning yesterday advising that both EndNote (they didn't say what version) and MS Office 2011 had conflicts. Whether they'll acknowledge when the application manuf. roll out patches I couldn't say…. I'm just going to read the details when I run MS updater. Endnote itself may have a notice on their website.

Thanks for your reply. The latest version of EndNote supported by my university is X6 (16.0.2.8570), which I have now installed. I also need Mathematica and my LaTeX editor to function after the upgrade. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

• Reply 73 of 95
    Quote:

Thanks for your reply. The latest version of EndNote supported by my university is X6 (16.0.2.8570), which I have now installed. I also need Mathematica and my LaTeX editor to function after the upgrade. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Wolfram support message board posts claim Mathematica 9 is fine after the update so long as Java se 6 is updated.

• Reply 74 of 95
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apple has been doing free system upgrades for iOS for years so it seems perfectly reasonable that OS X upgrades would be as well.  I think expectations have changed; there would be grumbling if it weren't free.  Also, as someone else pointed out the free system upgrade is akin to a stock buyback in terms of returning value to stakeholders (in this case existing customers).

Are there any horror stories yet about upgrading to Mavericks?  How risky is being an early adopter this time around?

I adopted about as soon as possible, and so far everything is great.

Relevant info: Late-2012 27" iMac, Core-i5, 16GB RAM.

• Reply 75 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

Wolfram support message board posts claim Mathematica 9 is fine after the update so long as Java se 6 is updated.Okay, Mavericks install

Installed Mavericks. Mathematica 9 runs fine so far. EndNote 6 performs properly in the new Pages once the Pages_EndNote_Plug-In-v2 (package name) is installed. I was able to insert a citation and have it appear in a bibliography. My LaTeX editor, LyX, performs properly.

• Reply 76 of 95

I have to admit that today I have been experiencing a lot of crashes of Safari, but it doesn't crash the app, the app still runs, it just closes the window that I'm using and it's with AI when I'm submitting comments.  It comes up with a crash screen log that gets sent to Apple, but it doesn't crash the app.

Could it be the website blog system?  I'm trying to figure out if it's just with certain websites, but I experience it the most at AI.  Kind a weird.

• Reply 77 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I have to admit that today I have been experiencing a lot of crashes of Safari, but it doesn't crash the app, the app still runs, it just closes the window that I'm using and it's with AI when I'm submitting comments.  It comes up with a crash screen log that gets sent to Apple, but it doesn't crash the app.

Could it be the website blog system?  I'm trying to figure out if it's just with certain websites, but I experience it the most at AI.  Kind a weird.

It's probably the new Safari. The forum code runs pretty stable on Mountain Lion's Safari.

• Reply 78 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's probably the new Safari. The forum code runs pretty stable on Mountain Lion's Safari.

So far, I only notice it on AI's web forum, but I just got 10.9.  If it is with Safari (since they are doing things a little differently like sandboxing Flash), hopefully the error logs that get automatically sent to Apple will get them to fix it.  Since my system sends them many error messages a day, maybe they'll get the hint.  I'll remind them with the Feedback site.

So if you see a update soon for this, you'll know at least one person that complained.  :-)

But so far, it's only with AI's forum.  

• Reply 79 of 95
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

We want to sync hardwired. We don't want to entrust our hard earned business contacts or our calendar or our documents to any other company. Not just Apple; any company. Apple is special here because of the history of their remarkably poor cloud performance over a relatively long time period. It's a fairly pathetic legacy. It once pissed Steve off.

This is not about photos or music. This is business. We have patent data, product designs and critical competitive information which would be foolhardy to post to a 3rd party internet-connected server. As iCloud grows larger, the big hacks will come. Ask Adobe's customers. This is our livelihood, guys.

It's apparent Apple is removing iTunes from the data syncing equation and we believe this is both a tactical and a strategic error. It's been iTunes that has driven their growth over the long run, starting from the iPod. Lessening the software's impact and functionality is a poor decision IMHO. Especially replacing it with a service that they've never been very good at... this move could come back to haunt Apple. Competitors will rejoice.

We've tested iCloud previously. It was a very difficult experience. After being totally wiped from our systems during a sync hiccup, Contacts had to be recovered from a back up drive. All our associates' iPhones slowed to a crawl - and some froze - when iCloud made a unilateral background decision it was time to sync, regardless of what the user was doing. We were not impressed. But performance issues aside, it's just not wise to expose your company' secret sauce.

Look, it's bad enough that the NSA spys on all Americans. It gets worse on iOS devices when people's fingerprints will positively identify them at this location or that. It gets even worse when all your contacts are available for government scrutiny sans any court order. But that's just one reason, and not even the main point.

It infuriates me that Windows users stay fully-featured and get to maintain their hard wired sync functionality but my Macs get deprecated.

• Reply 80 of 95
    Quote:

We want to sync hardwired. We don't want to entrust our hard earned business contacts or our calendar or our documents to any other company. Not just Apple; any company. Apple is special here because of the history of their remarkably poor cloud performance over a relatively long time period. It's a fairly pathetic legacy. It once pissed Steve off.

This is not about photos or music. This is business. We have patent data, product designs and critical competitive information which would be foolhardy to post to a 3rd party internet-connected server. As iCloud grows larger, the big hacks will come. Ask Adobe's customers. This is our livelihood, guys.

It's apparent Apple is removing iTunes from the data syncing equation and we believe this is both a tactical and a strategic error. It's been iTunes that has driven their growth over the long run, starting from the iPod. Lessening the software's impact and functionality is a poor decision IMHO. Especially replacing it with a service that they've never been very good at... this move could come back to haunt Apple. Competitors will rejoice.

We've tested iCloud previously. It was a very difficult experience. After being totally wiped from our systems during a sync hiccup, Contacts had to be recovered from a back up drive. All our associates' iPhones slowed to a crawl - and some froze - when iCloud made a unilateral background decision it was time to sync, regardless of what the user was doing. We were not impressed. But performance issues aside, it's just not wise to expose your company' secret sauce.

Look, it's bad enough that the NSA spys on all Americans. It gets worse on iOS devices when people's fingerprints will positively identify them at this location or that. It gets even worse when all your contacts are available for government scrutiny sans any court order. But that's just one reason, and not even the main point.

It infuriates me that Windows users stay fully-featured and get to maintain their hard wired sync functionality but my Macs get deprecated.

You can sync using USB.  They give you that option, some people just want automatic syncing.  I haven't had any problems with auto syncing of information from contacts, bookmarks, and notes.  I add and delete stuff all of the time and it syncs up great.  A temporary outage will happen from time to time, but it syncs up as soon as the service is back on line.   The way that iCloud is designed is certainly much better than MobileMe and .mac services were.  So, they've addressed a lot of that.

The NSA does not spy on everyone as much as you elude.  They frankly don't have the man power, they are focusing on terrorists or illegal behavior that threatens the country.  I wonder how much worse we would be if they didn't.  

I think you are paranoid and you might want to look at that.    People aren't sitting in offices actually reading your email messages unless you are a target.    I know plenty of people that are doing criminal actives that should be arrested that aren't.  But due to the nature of what they are doing, the NSA isn't going to do anything about it since it's more of a civil issue than a terrorist issue.   Seriously, it's not as bad you might think.  If you are doing something illegal, then stop doing it.  Otherwise, you shouldn't try to get others to be paranoid.

Apple and the NSA even mentioned that the only information they've gathered from Apple were done by a court order and it was mostly people from outside the US and they were criminals being targeted and there were only about 1000+ cases.  Which is a tiny amount of people compared to the total number of users.