Robotic testing finds touchscreen inaccuracies at edge of iPhone display

Comments

• Reply 121 of 146
    I can honestly say that I've been making a TON more mistakes on my iPhone 5, but only since updating to iOS 7. It's been pretty irritating actually. It also happens a lot when trying to do a search in the unified search bar in safari, I accidentally type a period when trying to hit space. There are a lot of other mistakes that I make as well, the spacing of the keys seems just a hair different.
  • Reply 122 of 146
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Speed vs. precision is an age old balancing act.  It would appear that smartphone displays are no different in this department.

• Reply 123 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I definitely have this issue, I've noticed in on 2 different iPhone 5s's.

The apps I used the most have placed their buttons (text) in bad locations.

The Music apps "Now Playing" and "Back to List."

The Nike Running app's "Run" button.

Instacast's "Resume playing full screen" and "Play episode" buttons.

Very annoying.

I use both the nike running app and the music app every day and never had any problems whatsoever.  I have very large hands too.

• Reply 124 of 146
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

Before people accuse me of being anti-Apple, or crazy, (or both) let me provide my bona-fides. Mac owner since 1993. I've had every iPhone from the original to the 5s (no 5c.) I'm an Apple fan, a Mac guy, ad an iPhone owner. 

No one cares. This doesn’t make you any more right. Makes you less right, though.

I think this has to do with iOS 7. (I don't have an iOS 6 device to compare it against.)

So how could you possibly come to that conclusion when you’re also only using new hardware?

• Reply 125 of 146
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Are you nuts? I tried to defend you, and yet you admit to making up stuff?

Your gesture in my defense was appreciated. No, I wouldn't call it making up stuff. Those who do the same thing as I do around here are using deductive reasoning—floating a hypothesis and then seeing if it will be supportable or shot down with logic.

Some here are hypothsizing that the effects turned up by this stupid robot test are nothing more than the way Apple's predictive and heuristic touch sensor array is supposed to work. They are countering the simplistic assumptions of the test with a "made up" proposition, since no one really knows Apple's design in detail. Does what they are suggesting stand or not? With an answer we are actually learning much more than the test intended to show, and more than the various anecdotes about finger flubs or sensor errors could tell us.

I've had to hypothesize a few scenarios about Tim Cook's "excuse" (the famous trade-offs) for not making larger retina screens on handheld devices. I suggested that he was for real, and it was simple logic that they couldn't say they were working on a breakthrough in technology that would allow for a retina iPad mini without tradeoffs. I thought it might be a screen breakthrough, but it turned out to be a new processor they were committed to. Right hypothesis, wrong details. I have a few other examples. Yeah, you have to construct hypotheses because people want to believe the most awful simplistic things.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one cares. This doesn’t make you any more right. Makes you less right, though.

So how could you possibly come to that conclusion when you’re also only using new hardware?

First, I used a 5s and a 5 - see new and older hardware. See??  I used a 5s and a 5. The 5s is NEW. The 5 is old. To sum up: 5 is older, 5s is newer.

Second - I didn't come a conclusion - I said I have a theory - one only based on my experience - one that I'm sharing here, with wonderful people like you.

Third, I don't like your post. (Sorry for being so harsh.)

• Reply 127 of 146
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member

Sounds a bit fishy, actually. Probably best to wait this one out for a bit to see what Apple has to say about it. Knowing them, they'll probably come out with some super cool video about how they actually test their touch displays, and how they've been intentionally made to compensate for the inaccuracies of being a person. Like someone else early on said in the comments, we're not robots. Do people really think Apple would "accidentally" release a touch screen that was less accurate than all their other phones? 

• Reply 128 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

...I call BS on their testing methods. Apple applies a lot of heuristics to the touch input to weed out false touches from what the user actually wants. Thus would make it practically impossible to do this type of automated testing...

...Less than 1mm is "accurate"? Where did they get this figure from? Is it a standardized published specification? Who published it? And how come the previous test drew straight lines and this one used a keyboard? How can they compare results from 2010 to now when the testing methodologies are completely different?

This was talked about either at the introduction of the original iPhone or at the WWDC. Apple purposely did not map the "touch response area" (aka hysteresis) directly to the outline of each key on the keyboard. They used frequency analysis of what is typed and gave more room for those letters that are hit more often. I can't remember for sure but I think this actually changes with the keyboard country (i.e., language) since each language has a distinct frequency distribution for common text selections.

These guys testing methodology do not account for this at all. It would make much more sense for a known grid to be generated and tested against as well as a physical test to verify the accuracy of the robot. Way too much is left out of this so called test for it to be of much more value than collecting empirical data thru a survey.

• Reply 129 of 146

I have this problem on my 5S. Never had problems with this issue before (iphone 3, 4 and all the ipads). Don't like it because it's really frustrating. 

Also the Wifi gives problems. I don't get contact with Wifi in my home on places I alway's had wifi with my 4.

Don't like it to say but after alle the positieve reviews I'm pretty disappointed with my 5S. 

• Reply 130 of 146
    the inaccuracies are real. often times when I'm playing a game the screen will not register my taps at all or register them very inaccurately. it's very frustrating.
  • Reply 131 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbnhero View Post

the inaccuracies are real. often times when I'm playing a game the screen will not register my taps at all or register them very inaccurately. it's very frustrating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry19 View Post

I have this problem on my 5S. Never had problems with this issue before (iphone 3, 4 and all the ipads). Don't like it because it's really frustrating. 

Also the Wifi gives problems. I don't get contact with Wifi in my home on places I alway's had wifi with my 4.

Don't like it to say but after alle the positieve reviews I'm pretty disappointed with my 5S. 

Registered just to post that?

Not even close to believable.

• Reply 132 of 146
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Registered just to post that?
    Not even close to believable.

Exactly. What is believable so far is that this is a Microsoft/Nokia FUD operation.

They may have used a Samsung phone because anything else would have raised questions about either their sanity or impartiality. Or maybe Samsung joined in on the hit job.
  • Reply 133 of 146
    I can honestly say that I've been making a TON more mistakes on my iPhone 5, but only since updating to iOS 7. It's been pretty irritating actually. It also happens a lot when trying to do a search in the unified search bar in safari, I accidentally type a period when trying to hit space. There are a lot of other mistakes that I make as well, the spacing of the keys seems just a hair different.

The "issues" I have seen started when I got the 5. But I hesitate to call it an Apple issue. I attribute it more to my thumbs.
  • Reply 134 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

since no one really knows Apple's design in detail. 

Indeed. Yet the level of passion and sometimes enmity is so high.

p.s. Am I the only to find this site crashing more often since upgrading to Mavericks?

• Reply 135 of 146
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

p.s. Am I the only to find this site crashing more often since upgrading to Mavericks?

That’s by design.

“Really?”

No, but it’s a better answer than “It’s okay, because even though it crashes every time you edit a post, your changes are always committed, so you don’t have to worry.”

• Reply 136 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Indeed. Yet the level of passion and sometimes enmity is so high.

Switch to Chrome. 

• Reply 137 of 146
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Pow, quick post from my iPhone 5s.

qqqqqqqppplllaaazzzzz

Seems to work fine.

I wonder if the "robot" was made by Samsung, a cynic knowing Samsung's behaviour with unacknowledged product endorsements could view this report with some scepticism.
  • Reply 138 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    The "issues" I have seen started when I got the 5. But I hesitate to call it an Apple issue. I attribute it more to my thumbs.

Shhh. Don't blame yourself. Blame others!
  • Reply 139 of 146

This has been happening to me on my iPhone 4S, but only after upgrading to iOS 7. Maybe part of the problem is iOS 7?

Exactly, I have an iPhone 5, and before this came up I'd noticed I was making mistakes I wouldn't have before upgrading to iOS7, perhaps a future software fix?
  • Reply 140 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Switch to Chrome. 

Yes, one can do that and perhaps has done that. Or one can sate one's intellectual curiosity to learn more of what might be happening to Safari.