MOGA iPhone game controller outed, features external battery pack

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,232moderator
    gwmac wrote: »
    The only problem with that design might be the fact that most people use cases. It can be troublesome to remove a case just to play a game so unless this will work with an iPhone in a case that may be a big hindrance.

    If this design slots together like it seems to show so that it's both form-fitting and standalone in one unit, that at least means they can sell a single controller that works for both scenarios.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post



    No thanks. Touchpad on one side would screw with the balance and how you grip the unit, not to mention being crap for feedback. Analogue sticks and buttons are much better.

     

    What balance? And balance for whose sake? There is a reason we have dominant hands.

    The touchpad would have just as much feedback as a mouse or a touchpad on a computer. Plenty, that is.

    You could put a speaker/actuator underneath it for very precise tactile effects but it wouldn't be a necessity.

     

    Really weird that Apple haven't done this themselves a looong time ago. They would have wiped the floor with every console maker.

    It would seem to be a nice and interesting challenge for Ive and co.

  • Reply 23 of 36
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smalltalk-80 View Post

     

     

    What balance? And balance for whose sake? There is a reason we have dominant hands.

    The touchpad would have just as much feedback as a mouse or a touchpad on a computer. Plenty, that is.

    You could put a speaker/actuator underneath it for very precise tactile effects but it wouldn't be a necessity.

     

    Really weird that Apple haven't done this themselves a looong time ago. They would have wiped the floor with every console maker.

    It would seem to be a nice and interesting challenge for Ive and co.


    Your concept of a controller above sounds extremely flawed (rectangular shape, touchpad + analog stick, focus for a dominant hand).  



    I'm not sure what you had in mind in the second part of your comment, but I don't think Apple would have "wiped the floor" with any console maker.

     

    Valve's Steam controller already utilizes dual touch-pads and a touch screen in the centre of the controller:



    image 

  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

    Your concept of a controller above sounds extremely flawed (rectangular shape, touchpad + analog stick, focus for a dominant hand).  



    I'm not sure what you had in mind in the second part of your comment, but I don't think Apple would have "wiped the floor" with any console maker.

     

    Valve's Steam controller already utilizes dual touch-pads and a touch screen in the centre of the controller:



    image 




    God that looks fugly

  • Reply 25 of 36
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

    God that looks fugly

    And impractical. How are you supposed to use it?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post





    And impractical. How are you supposed to use it?

    Something like this: 



    image



    Considering it's Valve, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (until I actually try the controller).

  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

    Something like this: 



    image



    Considering it's Valve, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (until I actually try the controller).




    Actually I take that back. It looks pretty interesting. I'll stick with my DS for my portable gaming needs for now but this might change that.

  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

    Something like this: 



    image



    Considering it's Valve, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (until I actually try the controller).


     

    FYI -- the legacy mouse/keyboard mode on the Valve controller is identical to the control scheme already employed by iOS multitouch games like Modern Combat:

    image

  • Reply 29 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,064member
    Not identical, the Steam controller has texture and tactile feedback.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

     

    Your concept of a controller above sounds extremely flawed (rectangular shape, touchpad + analog stick, focus for a dominant hand).  



    I'm not sure what you had in mind in the second part of your comment, but I don't think Apple would have "wiped the floor" with any console maker.

     

    Valve's Steam controller already utilizes dual touch-pads and a touch screen in the centre of the controller


    The rectangular shape and dual sides will allow you to hold it in either horizontal or vertical position just like an iPhone (or an old Famicom or Colecovision pad) and it will allow you to flip the controller any way, to suit the game and holding style. Left and right-handedness will not be a problem here.

     

    The double sided touchpad will allow you to do the walking fingers "trick" with index and thumb, so you don't have to "paddle" (lift, move back and put down) the view or cursor like on the Valve controller. The people who have tried the Valve controller also, almost everyone of them mention that they are missing a stick or directional buttons for relative movement. So only touchpads obviously isn't the solution.

     

    A doublesided stick would be the first true 3d stick. Not only would you be able to have two finger dexterity for better precession, you would also be able to press it up as well as down.

     

    Apple would have taken the videogame market by storm by now if they had released a sanctioned official controller for everyone to develop for. That is really the only thing holding all the iOS devices back from truly being able to replace at least hand held consoles. Apple TV 2 would also have made a great competitor to Wii, with it being just as, if not more powerfull hardware wise.

  • Reply 31 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,064member
    Using fingers on both sides sounds horrendous for actually holding the thing stably, and especially with this lopsided touchpad and stick arrangements, which would require a crazy grip that would unbalance the device. You keep mentioning this orientation independence, but if the shoulder triggers are the only buttons then the vertical orientation will be extremely limited. On that point, two buttons is in itself, too limited for a lot of the games that people buying these things would want. You're about eight buttons shorter than your competition.

    On a wider point, the game controller has been around twenty years, and has seen many attempts to do something different with gimmicky hints like you're suggesting. None have taken off, because the core balance and symmetry of the game controllers we know wins out. I think that's even more important in a handheld because you're dealing with balance not only of the controller, but also of the attached screen.

    No, this idea is a dud, and Apple would be laughed out of the conference hall for suggesting anything like it.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post



    Using fingers on both sides sounds horrendous for actually holding the thing stably, and especially with this lopsided touchpad and stick arrangements, which would require a crazy grip that would unbalance the device. You keep mentioning this orientation independence, but if the shoulder triggers are the only buttons then the vertical orientation will be extremely limited. On that point, two buttons is in itself, too limited for a lot of the games that people buying these things would want. You're about eight buttons shorter than your competition.



    On a wider point, the game controller has been around twenty years, and has seen many attempts to do something different with gimmicky hints like you're suggesting. None have taken off, because the core balance and symmetry of the game controllers we know wins out. I think that's even more important in a handheld because you're dealing with balance not only of the controller, but also of the attached screen.



    No, this idea is a dud, and Apple would be laughed out of the conference hall for suggesting anything like it.

    You'd be using your two or three other fingers to hold it, just like you do with a gamepad or iDevice now.

    In the vertical mode you'd be able to hold with one hand, manipulating the touchpad freely with multitouch with the other.

     

    More buttons is not in and of itself better, in the way it's implemented today, it's just clutter and leftovers from previous generations. The d-pad, shoulder buttons and  A B X Y buttons for example are just plain ripped off from the Famicom and Super Famicom controllers.

    It doesn't represent a darwinian chain of selection and fine tuning, only fear of having less than the other guys. 

    The touchpad would allow for very fast menu selection or gestures though, that would make for more control options than would fit as buttons on the pad anyway.

     

    WRT shoulder buttons you could of course have them "wrap around" to the short side. Or just have separate "trigger" buttons there wired to the same function.

     

    An iPad will never attach to the controller, so obviously it will have to be a controller that works as well attached as free. Mine will.

    You'll have exactly as good balance as with a 3DS, if that is such a great concern.

  • Reply 33 of 36
    crowley wrote: »
    Not identical, the Steam controller has texture and tactile feedback.

    "For her pleasure," he added. ;)
  • Reply 34 of 36
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

     I feel winter is coming 

     


  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Strange that you don’t, apparently. And no, I figure everyone’s hands have ten fingers, bending the same way, doing the same things.


     

    If you'd read my original post, it was about why *I* wouldn't use the controller. I never said it shouldn't be used by anyone. Therefore, my post was always from a subjective viewpoint. My reasons for commenting on a story are different from yours.

  • Reply 36 of 36

    With such fun acces, my phone would need a large capacity power bank that can also charge faster. RavPower 14000mAh seems like the great one:  http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Lightning-Thunderbolt-Incredible-connectors/dp/B00EHEEFWY

Sign In or Register to comment.