Mavericks Feature Focus: Safari 7 and iCloud Keychain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    You can add Bookmarks, Reading List ... just by click & hold on the [IMG ALT="+ button"]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/34120/width/200/height/400[/IMG] "for a short instant" will give you a drop-down list.
    [IMG ALT="Bookmark list"]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/34121/width/200/height/400[/IMG] then you can select easily where to put it.
    What I do miss was that little iCloud Button from Dev previews.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I have found that some websites will not store the password. I use box.com and a note came up saying they won't allow keychain to save the password info. Shouldn't that be up to me?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Only Apple Insider's web site causes Safari 7 issues for me. Virtually every time I try to edit a post I get a crash. All credit to Safari, it reloads the exact same page in a second. Is it only me with this issue?

Edit: I have ClicktoFlash and AdBlock installed ... maybe this is the issue. I'll try with them off for a while.

Haha ... I crashed writing this edit. The speed Safari recovered (I am using an SSD) is remarkable though.

I get the same thing but only have AdBlock installed at this time. This is across Macs.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    airbubble wrote: »
    You can add Bookmarks, Reading List ... just by click & hold on the 400 "for a short instant" will give you a drop-down list.
    400 then you can select easily where to put it.
    What I do miss was that little iCloud Button from Dev previews.

Yes, but it won't let you change the bookmark name before adding.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GarryM View Post

I have found that some websites will not store the password. I use box.com and a note came up saying they won't allow keychain to save the password info. Shouldn't that be up to me?

I would say, if a website does not trust iCloud Keychain it is their prerogative to not allow it. They are responsible for the security of their own network and all of the other users on it, so it is within their rights to impose any restriction they see fit, Read your terms of service.

• Reply 26 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mstone wrote: »
    I would say, if a website does not trust iCloud Keychain it is their prerogative to not allow it. They are responsible for the security of their own network and all of the other users on it, so it is within their rights to impose any restriction they see fit, Read your terms of service.

I agree and if Apple somehow did override this they'd be legally in a tricky position, I would image, should their be a hack.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    The fatal flaw with this whole model is that it assumes:

a) you will only ever use Safari to access those websites you use logins for
    b) you will never be in a situation where you need to access one of those sites from a non-Apple-based OS.

I can see it now: people start generating impossible to remember passwords because they don't have to remember them, iCloud keychain does that for them. Then they are out of town and they lose their iPhone/iPad and need to log in through some random computer (friend/family member's Windows PC for instance) and now they can't get access to anything, because they don't know any of the passwords and iCloud keychain doesn't work.

Cue the violins, cause now you're screwed.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    fuzz_ball wrote: »

b) you will never be in a situation where you need to access one of those sites from a non-Apple-based OS.

I can see it now: people start generating impossible to remember passwords because they don't have to remember them, iCloud keychain does that for them. Then they are out of town and they lose their iPhone/iPad and need to log in through some random computer (friend/family member's Windows PC for instance) and now they can't get access to anything, because they don't know any of the passwords and iCloud keychain doesn't work.

There is, has been, and always will be an inverse relation between security and convenience.

Touch ID is one of the rare instances where security may have arguably increased with the added convenience. Meaning Apple says Touch ID has a 1 in 50,000 whereas a 4-digit PIN is obviously 1 in 10,000. Of course, that is only a single metric in which gauge security.
  • Reply 29 of 53

Wanted to delete his post but saw no way.

• Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommentSF View Post

I simply LOVE the "Automatically Open in Tabs" functionality on the Bookmarks bar. Not sure if always existed but just now I had it ON and have all my fav. daily tabs open with one click. THE BEST

Could you please explain how you got it to do that. When I click a link in the bookmarks bar it opens in the current tab.

• Reply 31 of 53
    fuzz_ball wrote: »

In that case, why wouldn't you click Forgot your password and set a new one. Then, once you get your phone back, get back home, etc. then create a new on for syncing in iCloud Keychain?
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryM View Post

Safari has a setting in preferences under passwords "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved"

• Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryM View Post

Safari has a setting in preferences under passwords "Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved"

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty1971 View Post

With the new update I can't use Facebook video call no more. Is there a fix for this?

Learn the API for HTML 5 Video

• Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

I found that if I want to change an existing password, I must first delete the entry in Keychain Access. Then when I go the website's change address form, it will suggest a new one.

Which is no different than Keychain managing imapd certificates. Keychain is managing these assets now, not a file stored in the browser.

• Reply 36 of 53
    Haven't used the new safari that much
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Now I haven't used the new safari at all. As I haven't upgraded my old 17" MacBook Pro (Late 2007) to Mavericks. Currently I'm running SL. Just wondering if anyone has it on any MacBook Pros from late 2007 - early 2008. If so, how's the performance?
  • Reply 38 of 53

Safari’s new sidebar Bookmarks view is terrible. I wish the Bookmarks button would go to the proper listing of them. I also wish that “open the contents of this folder in tabs” wouldn’t OVERWRITE ALL ALREADY OPEN TABS, because that’s complete nonsense. It should do what it had always done: just ALSO opened those in tabs.

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Sadly, performance of Safari is downgraded. 

In what capacity?

iCloud keychane installation does not work proper for many user

Source?

Originally Posted by FoodDude View Post

MacBook Pros from early 2008. If so, how's the performance?

Great.

• Reply 39 of 53
    I had been using LastPass before, but it's use across devices just sucks. I have been waiting for Keychain Access patiently since it was announced and now my problem is solved. The only issue I have is that some websites block it's use. Even though you can change a setting, it still doesn't work with all sites. Like my bank site for instance. :mad: But besides that, it rocks.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Safari 7 offers to create passwords for new sites for me. The issue you have reported does not manifest itself in my MacBook Pro.