Another daylight saving time bug strikes Apple's iOS 7, affects calendar display

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Owners of iOS devices running the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system awoke to a display error in iOS 7's calendar app caused by the switch to daylight saving time.

iOS 7 Calendar Display Issue
iOS 7's calendar application displays the "current time" line offset by one hour.Thanks to AppleInsider readers Valentijn and Andrea

Several AppleInsider readers have reported the line indicating the current time is displaced by one hour in the calendar app -- for example, at 12:15 p.m., the calendar app draws the "current time" line in the slot for 1:15 p.m., despite displaying the correct time beside the line and in the system notification bar.

The bug reportedly does not affect scheduled alarms or calendar events, the times for which are adjusted properly.

Time zone support is a recurring issue for Apple's software and operating systems. In 2010, iOS 4 contained a bug that did not properly shift alarm schedules when Daylight Savings Time ended, causing some European iPhone owners to miss appointments or wake up late for work, while Australians were woken up early.

In 2011, another iOS 4 bug caused non-recurring alarms to be disabled when clocks ticked over to January 1, 2011. Apple eventually fixed both issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Seems to be working fine for me.
  • Reply 2 of 77

Isn't DST next weekend?

• Reply 3 of 77
    Isn't DST next weekend?

DST ended this morning for most of Europe (DST has been coordinated here since 1996 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Time_in_Europe) so here in the UK we got an extra hour in bed and are back on GMT.

Just checked my iPhone and it is showing this.... the time by the line is correct at 21:32 but the line is showing around half way between 22:00 and 23:00...
  • Reply 4 of 77
    My calendar seems to be working properly with IOS 7.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    DST in the United States is Nov. 3
  • Reply 6 of 77

No problems here either – never had a change of hour glitch. Bad luck to those that have a problem.

• Reply 7 of 77
    UK clocks changed today and I have the issue.

Just as well the clocks don't change every year then ... or twice ... ah well, gives us all a laugh.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    No we are in Daylight Savings Time now, the switch to Standard time is next weekend.

So it seems that many things in this article seem to be messed up.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I never change the clock in my car, consequently it's only ever wrong for part of the year. It's too complicated to change. It's a complete nuisance this moving clocks back and forward, never actually seen any reason why, apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.

That's completely opposite. DST is because people stay awake at night more than they do in the day, so you shift the clock so you get more daylight. People stay up till say midnight, which is sunset + ~6 hours. You don't wake up at sunrise - 6 hours = ~1 AM. 

Farmers dislike DST because their day is set by the sun, not the clock. I guess people like to bash farmers as hicks when they don't know what they're talking about.

• Reply 11 of 77
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    My iPhone and iPad are both in iOS 7, both switched to GMT correctly, but now ALL my appointments in my calendar are showing one hour early! Is this a joke?
  • Reply 12 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    You'd figure Apple would get their shit together over this issue, surely some bright spark thought to themselves "Damn, we seem to screw up daylight saving times with each major update, maybe this time we should check in advance to make sure that we don't mess up again"

But no, as usual they miss it. Come on Apple, considering all that you manage to achieve surely this is not rocket science to you?!?!?!
  • Reply 13 of 77

Here in UK the bug has hit

Calendar currently it's 10:45pm, the line shows after the 11pm line , not before 11pm

• Reply 14 of 77
    Just FYI if you aren't a big fan of changing time zones, UTM time is a good way to travel around the world and stay on schedule since it is a 24 clock that is fixed on a single longitude which runs through the UK (UTM - Universal Trans Meridian). But the UK time changes, so how would I set UTM on my iDevice? Look up Freetown, Sierra Leon (Africa) and set a clock for that (World Time in the clock app). Freetown is on the UTM line, but does not recognize any DST changes.

Suggestion to Apple - it would be nice if Apple noted (in parenthasis) that this was UTM time.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to Rene Ritchie on Twitter this affects more than just iPhones.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Mine is working just fine.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    zaba wrote: »
    I never change the clock in my car, consequently it's only ever wrong for part of the year. It's too complicated to change. It's a complete nuisance this moving clocks back and forward, never actually seen any reason why, apparently it dates back to farmers milking cows or something.

DST dates back to WWII when it was felt that by moving the hour would help save electrical energy, which it did. Two funny stories relating to DST:

The summer it was first implemented there was a hot dry spell in the USA. A farmer wrote in to the local newspaper complaining about DST burning up his corn crop.

The second funny story concerns Moscow Russia. During the 1950s Central Planning forgot to tell those who keep official time to end DST one Fall. With Stalin in control, no one dared question it. The next spring Central Planning told everyone to set their clocks ahead and again forgot to end DST that fall again. It wasn't until the fall of the USSR that people got brave enough to question why they were living two hours earlier than they should. It was not until nearly 50 years after the fact that Moscow got back on the right time.
  • Reply 18 of 77

Anyone want my DST rant? I hate DST more than a few of the things I’ve hated here. :p

Seriously, drop all this nonsense. Imagine you’re an alien, looking down on the planet. What would you think?

“So… twice a year you guys just pretend it’s a different time? Why, again, should we consider you sapient and therefore immune from becoming a slave race?”

• Reply 19 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone want my DST rant? I hate DST more than a few of the things I’ve hated here. :p

Seriously, drop all this nonsense. Imagine you’re an alien, looking down on the planet. What would you think?

“So… twice a year you guys just pretend it’s a different time? Why, again, should we consider you sapient and therefore immune from becoming a slave race?”

Can't wait to hear your Leap Year rant...

• Reply 20 of 77
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Can't wait to hear your Leap Year rant...

Oh, that wasn’t all of it. Just a taste.

Interestingly enough, I like leap years. Sort of wish my birthday was February 29. :p