Logitech, Belkin unveil new keyboard accessories for Apple's iPad Air

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2014
The two 800-pound gorillas in the Apple accessory ecosystem have taken the wraps off of their new collections of keyboard cases designed to complement Apple's forthcoming thinner, lighter iPad Air.

Logitech

Logitech

Logitech brings threw new Bluetooth typing devices to the iPad Air party with the FabricSkin Keyboard Folio, Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, and the Ultrathin Keyboard Folio.

The company says the FabricSkin folio features a water-resistant fabric design featuring a "wipe clean" keyboard, while magnets in the folio itself will hold the iPad at two different typing angles. The FabricSkin Folio measures up at 0.9 pounds in weight and 0.7 inches thick -- nearly as heavy as the iPad Air itself and more than twice as thick -- and will come with a suggested retail price of $99.99 in November.

Logitech

Logitech's other wraparound keyboard case, the plastic Ultrathin Keyboard Folio, will hold the iPad upright for typing or flat for browsing, according to the company. The folio weighs the same as its fabric-covered sibling, but is slightly thicker at 0.79 inches, and will carry the same $99.99 price tag and November release date.

Logitech

The Ultrathin Keyboard Cover does not wrap around the iPad Air, instead acting as a stiff cover that attaches with Apple's integrated Smart Cover magnets, similar to the Microsoft Surface's Type Cover. For use, the iPad Air must be separated from the cover and inserted into a small groove above the keyboard. Made from aluminum, the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover weighs 0.73 pounds and matches the iPad Air in thickness at 0.29 inches. Logitech says it, too, will be available in November for $49.99.

All three keyboards can be recharged via micro-USB, and Logitech says they can go up to three months -- based on two hours of use per day -- between recharges.

Belkin

Belkin teased three new Bluetooth keyboard models from its QODE family, the Ultimate Keyboard Case, Thin Type Keyboard Case, and Slim Style Keyboard Case.

Belkin

The Ultimate Keyboard Case is made from what Belkin calls an "aircraft-grade aluminum alloy," and magnetically secures the iPad at the user's choice of three angles for typing. The keyboard can be folded behind the iPad Air for one-handed use and completely ensconces the tablet when closed, while Belkin says the keyboard's battery is good for 264 hours of use. There is no word on availability, though the company notes the cover will be available in both black and silver for $129.99.

Belkin

The Thin Type Keyboard Case functions similarly to Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover, attaching to the iPad Air with its Smart Cover magnets, and featuring a small groove to insert the iPad Air into for typing. The keyboard features 79 hours of active battery life, and Belkin says the aluminum accessory will be available only an anodized silver color for $99.99.

Belkin

Belkin's Slim Style Keyboard Case features a single-hinge design with a three-position kickstand at the rear. The iPad Air is held in place by fabric "wings" that wrap around the tablet's top and bottom bezels, and the built-in battery is said to provide up to 60 hours of active use. The keyboard case can be had in five colors, which Belkin says are Black, Red, Topaz, Sorbet and Purple, and will set buyers back $79.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33

This type of case has always reminded me strongly of Captain Stormfield’s Visit To Heaven.

In that people buy these, thinking “this is how the iPad should be used” and a week later take them off in embarrassment and start using it properly.

• Reply 2 of 33
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    As much as everyone makes about MSFT's keyboard I don't use the keyboard at all. I feel that when I need to type something out I can do so quickly with my thumbs or if I need to do actual work I can do it with a computer.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I just don't get these kind of keyboards. And it's also one reason why I think that so-called convertibles like the Surface are horrible pieces of crap.

iPads are meant to be used naked in my opinion. No keyboard, no case, no nothing. 

Especially with the amazing new iPad Air. It's super light and it's super thin. Attaching extra crap to it just defeats the entire purpose.

I don't do a lot of typing on my iPads, but when I do, the on screen keyboard works just fine, and I am actually pretty fast with it now. For the rare occasion, where I do need to type a lot, I'll either type on a desktop, laptop or pair an Apple bluetooth keyboard to my iPads.

People who like these sorts of things have a different mentality, and that mentality is obsolete and not very forward thinking. They're still stuck in the past. Just buy a damn laptop if that's what you're looking for.

• Reply 4 of 33
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Belkin's keyboards look nicer than Logitech's.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    There have been a handful of times where I've used my Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad, but not enough where I would want to have a keyboard case. Especially at these prices -- you can get Apple's keyboard for $70. Combined with a cheap stand (I'm using a Staples document holder that cost me less than $5), you have a pretty workable setup.

As a bonus, when Apple changes the form factor (like they just did with the iPad Air), the keyboard and stand still work.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Hmmm, nothing about clicking sounds when attaching/detaching mentioned in the specs. Oversight or one more example of Apple not maintaining a competitive edge?

Edit: the Belkin one looks great.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

As much as everyone makes about MSFT's keyboard I don't use the keyboard at all. I feel that when I need to type something out I can do so quickly with my thumbs or if I need to do actual work I can do it with a computer.

I agree! :)

My iPad and iPhone have seriously reduced my need to carry a laptop or use my iMac. I find most tasks more enjoyable on the iPad. I'd guess I now use the iPad 90% of the time.

However, as much as I would like to sell my iMac and laptop..."if I need to do actual work I can do it with a computer." 

Best

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This type of case has always reminded me strongly of Captain Stormfield’s Visit To Heaven.

In that people buy these, thinking “this is how the iPad should be used” and a week later take them off in embarrassment and start using it properly.

Here is what I am wondering. I want to use the iPad Air for some light web work (using Diet Coda), but mostly for consuming content as is the intent for tablets. Do these keyboards work well enough that I should add one to my backpack? 

• Reply 9 of 33
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iPads are meant to be used naked in my opinion. No keyboard, no case, no nothing. 

Especially with the amazing new iPad Air. It's super light and it's super thin. Attaching extra crap to it just defeats the entire purpose.

I don't do a lot of typing on my iPads, but when I do, the on screen keyboard works just fine, and I am actually pretty fast with it now. For the rare occasion, where I do need to type a lot, I'll either type on a desktop, laptop or pair an Apple bluetooth keyboard to my iPads.

If I had to type on the iPad for work with or without a keyboard, I'd shoot myself.  That's why I have an iMac.  I would suspect almost everyone doesn't type much on their iPad- and not because it's such a whip to type, but because you just don't do it.

I do disagree the iPad naked defeats the entire purpose.  A Smart cover, or any thin cover is a necessity for me.  I use my iPad almost exclusively for occasional TV show watching or watching a movie on a plane or hotel room.  Without a way to prop it up, I'd have to use my knees or hold it in bed- or prop it up against who knows what in a plane.  With a prop- I can set it on my stomach, or on the bed beside me, or on the food tray- whichever fits the bill.  Holding it for 2 hours would suck- even at a pound- plus it'd be terrible for my posture looking down at my lap (I'm very health/posture-concious).

• Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just don't get these kind of keyboards. 

Agreed. I only use a case if I'm about and about. But as soon as I sit down, library, restaurant, etc., I remove it and use it, as you say, "naked!" :) I never have the case on when I'm as home. Much like my iPhone. I only put a case on if I'm hiking, running or kayaking.

Let's all agree that, yes, more and more work can be done on an iPad...but for "work," iPads are complimentary devices. Albeit, very powerful complimentary devices! :)

Best

• Reply 11 of 33

Just a quick thought...I don't want to sound negative, but Logitech's and most other third party manufacturer's build quality is usually slightly below or subpar when compared to Apple's build quality.

The products just don't look good when sitting next to an iMac, iPad, etc.

E.g., the color of the white accents is not quite white like Apples.

• Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If I had to type on the iPad for work with or without a keyboard, I'd shoot myself.  That's why I have an iMac.  I would suspect almost everyone doesn't type much on their iPad- and not because it's such a whip to type, but because you just don't do it.

I do disagree the iPad naked defeats the entire purpose.  A Smart cover, or any thin cover is a necessity for me.  I use my iPad almost exclusively for occasional TV show watching or watching a movie on a plane or hotel room.  Without a way to prop it up, I'd have to use my knees or hold it in bed- or prop it up against who knows what in a plane.  With a prop- I can set it on my stomach, or on the bed beside me, or on the food tray- whichever fits the bill.  Holding it for 2 hours would suck- even at a pound- plus it'd be terrible for my posture looking down at my lap (I'm very health/posture-concious).

Just to clarify, I do use stands with my iPads when they are sitting on a table, or when I am watching something on it. I have these portable stands that can be folded, and they work pretty good. So when I meant naked, I didn't mean without any stand or that somebody would have to hold an iPad for many hours a day without any way of propping it up.

• Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Good point, about the cover being a stand! :)

Also, I have been consciously trying to simplify my work, e.i., weekly/monthly charts, diagrams and reports that I create on my iMac (Pages) with the idea that once it has been created (the heavy lifting-so to speak), I can easily update them on my iPad with the latest set of figures.

I used to use a lot let elaborate back grounds, shading, different formats for each report, etc, etc.

By getting rid of them, I've actually made my workflow more standardized and easier. I don't spend as much time trying to make them look "pretty!" (Which is one of my biggest faults and time waster!)

So far it's working well. I've also, simplified making property brochures and am in the process of transferring my iWeb website to a free web based website provide by my Hosting service in the hopes of updating new listing or changes to existing listings on my iPad. I like to do the updates while sitting on a restaurant's patio having a beer at the end of the day. I really enjoy it! :)

• Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed. I only use a case if I'm about and about. But as soon as I sit down, library, restaurant, etc., I remove it and use it, as you say, "naked!" :) I never have the case on when I'm as home. Much like my iPhone. I only put a case on if I'm hiking, running or kayaking.

Same here. I do have slip covers which I'll put on the iPad before I throw it in a bag or backpack, when I'm traveling, because I obviously don't want anything to get scratched or messed up but that gets removed as soon as it's time to use the iPad.

• Reply 15 of 33
    Well, I will stick up for the keyboard users.

I use my iPad for work and for personal use. I take it to meetings and on business trips and use it around the house and when I am out. I watch movies, TV shows, browse the web a lot and use apps. For work I read and respond to emails, occasionally review and lightly edit Word or PPT documents and take notes. I could do the work without a keyboard but with one the iPad is more than adequate for my needs most of the times. I do have an 11 inch MBA but more often than not it is at home. I agree typing notes in meetings would be a challenge in Evernote with the on screen keyboard. Longer emails would be a real hassle. But with my Logitech Ultra Thin cover these things are really very very doable with the iPad.

Much of the time I just have a smart cover on my iPad. But when I am expecting a call that I have to take notes on, or I expect to do some emails, I just clip the keyboard on and am ready when I need it.

You say a keyboard is clumsy and heavy and hanging on to an old model of working. Yet your suggested remedy is to bring a laptop? lol. I think you are the one who is missing the whole post-PC, work in 2013 not 2002 model. A very small, light keyboard cover really helps and keeps me from bringing my MBA on most business trips.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    It's cool to have these as an option, but nice to know that Apple has designed a product that doesn't require a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homie View Post

Well, I will stick up for the keyboard users.

I use my iPad for work and for personal use. I take it to meetings and on business trips and use it around the house and when I am out. I watch movies, TV shows, browse the web a lot and use apps. For work I read and respond to emails, occasionally review and lightly edit Word or PPT documents and take notes. I could do the work without a keyboard but with one the iPad is more than adequate for my needs most of the times. I do have an 11 inch MBA but more often than not it is at home. I agree typing notes in meetings would be a challenge in Evernote with the on screen keyboard. Longer emails would be a real hassle. But with my Logitech Ultra Thin cover these things are really very very doable with the iPad.

Much of the time I just have a smart cover on my iPad. But when I am expecting a call that I have to take notes on, or I expect to do some emails, I just clip the keyboard on and am ready when I need it.

You say a keyboard is clumsy and heavy and hanging on to an old model of working. Yet your suggested remedy is to bring a laptop? lol. I think you are the one who is missing the whole post-PC, work in 2013 not 2002 model. A very small, light keyboard cover really helps and keeps me from bringing my MBA on most business trips.

How is those keyboard for taking an iPad in and out of? Again, I want to slip one on just for needed typing, but keep it off 80% of the time for consumption. 

Thoughts? 

• Reply 18 of 33
    Just a quick thought...I don't want to sound negative, but Logitech's and most other third party manufacturer's build quality is usually slightly below or subpar when compared to Apple's build quality.

The products just don't look good when sitting next to an iMac, iPad, etc.

E.g., the color of the white accents is not quite white like Apples.

News flash: everyone is below Apple's build quality. Everyone.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

News flash: everyone is below Apple's build quality. Everyone.

Now that's funny! And I agree. I've said many times on these boards. I only buy tech HW/SW...if it's made by Apple. I don't buy and third party keyboards, mice, trackpads, speakers. The only thing I've been force to buy is an ugly cable modem from Motorola and rather ugly Brother MFC printer. Both of which are in a closet! :)

Apple doesn't make a DSLR....I won't buy one b/c of the clunky interfaces. I'll stick with my iPhone, take a lot of photos and hope a few come out OK. I don't seem to have a problem when photos are taken outdoors on a sunny day.

Apple doesn't make a TV...ummm! Don't have one. But really miss it! Hurry up Apple.

• Reply 20 of 33
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    I rather get a true Mac MacBook Air instead of the iOS toy!