iPhone 5s represents 3.8% of all iPhones in use, US has highest 5c adoption rate

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Newly released data shows that the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c already account for more than 5 percent of all iPhones in use, while the mid-range 5c has seen the highest share of adoption thus far in the U.S.

Localytics

The figures were published on Monday by Localytics, which examined more than 40 million unique iPhone devices through its analytics software utilized by developers. The survey found that 3.8 percent of all iPhones worldwide are now the iPhone 5s, while the iPhone 5c accounts for 1.7 percent of all active iPhones.

Apple's iPhone 5, released in 2012, remains the most popular handset from the company, accounting for nearly 40 percent of all iPhones active today. Coming in second is the iPhone 4s, with a 32.9 percent share, followed by the iPhone 4 at 20.2 percent.

Breaking down Apple's latest iPhone models, the survey found that the U.S. is currently the most "5c-friendly" country in the world, with the mid-range model seeing a higher ratio share than other countries surveyed. To date, the iPhone 5c has the lowest share of the two new models in Germany.

iPhone 5s penetration is the highest in Japan, where nearly 8 percent of iPhones in use are Apple's latest flagship model. Combined with the iPhone 5c, the two new handsets are almost 10 percent of all iPhones in use in Japan.

Localytics

In the U.S. alone, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c account for 6.4 percent of all active iPhones, according to Localytics. That's above the global average of 5.5 percent, with both handsets having been on the market for just over a month.

Apple has been steadily launching the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c in additional countries around the world since the handsets became available in select markets in late September. Last Friday alone, Apple debuted its latest smartphones in 35 additional countries.

It's rumored that the iPhone will land on the world's largest carrier, China Mobile, in the coming weeks. China Mobile, which has 740 million subscribers, is set to launch its TD-LTE high-speed data network between Nov. 9 and 11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These percentages are based on how much data exactly?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The mix of 5S and 5C is ideal.  You want your flagship to sell the most units.

That's not true. The word flagship doesn't imply most profitable, greatest volume or highest price. You are shaping its meaning to fit your narrative. :)

• Reply 3 of 30
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    The 5C is a non-starter in countries where prepaid is the norm.

Unsurprisingly it's doing well in the US where one can easily find offers for "free" 5Cs with 2 year contract.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The mix of 5S and 5C is ideal.  You want your flagship to sell the most units.

One take away from the graphic is how MASSIVE iPhone6 sales will be if they can retain 90%+ of the iPhone5 users.

The funny thing is that the people who point to the lower 5c sales numbers as being a "bad thing" are usually the same people that thought it was a "bad thing" that the iPhone 4 and 4S outsold the iPhone 5.

I wonder what conditions would be required for these people to be happy?

• Reply 5 of 30
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

The 5c is priced for the US contract market and ignores the fact that most countries have a very strong sim free no contract mix.

So it makes sense that Americans are buying more than anyone else in the world. I'm amazed that the numbers appear to be as high as they are in the UK, I've not seen a 5c in the wild yet out in public here.

• Reply 6 of 30

Anecdotal, I know! - My GF's sister just got a yellow 5c because it's her favorite color!

I think the 5c is a winner...I will be getting a gold 5s though with a leather product (RED) case.

Best

• Reply 7 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I definitely can believe that the iPhone is doing great in Japan.

I like to profile people, and it seems that almost all Japanese girls that I see on the subway and when I'm out and about are using iPhones. I did see one Asian girl yesterday who took out some huge Android phone on the subway, but I think that she was probably Korean.

• Reply 8 of 30
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

This CANNOT be true!  I read everywhere that no one was buying the 5C!

These are lies.  Lies, I tell you!

/s

• Reply 9 of 30

I think Apple will come close to 100% in upgrades from two years back for last quarter and this quarter, and will have an equal number of new sales. IOW, Apple will double the number of iPhone sales from two years back for last quarter and this quarter. Two years back, they sold about 17 million sales in fiscal Q4 and 37 million in fiscal Q1. I'm expecting them to sell 34 million last quarter and 74 million this quarter.

• Reply 10 of 30
  • Reply 11 of 30
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    That's not true. The word flagship doesn't imply most profitable, greatest volume or highest price. You are shaping its meaning to fit your narrative. :)

How about: When it comes to Apple's iPhone and buyers that want the "latest and greatest" gadgets you want your flagship product to outsell your other options.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    akqies wrote: »
    How about: When it comes to Apple's iPhone and buyers that want the "latest and greatest" gadgets you want your flagship product to outsell your other options.

That's what makes Apple amazing isn't it? It would be like BMW selling more of their the 7 series than the 3 or 5. I bet they'd love that. Apple does it! Marketing theories like Flag Ships are often loss leaders or at best low volume, prestige image builders, out the window
  • Reply 13 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

A China Mobile deal would move the stock quite a bit, expect +$30 on the news and another +$20 in the following weeks.

• Reply 14 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    herbapou wrote: »
    A China Mobile deal would move the stock quite a bit, expect +$30 on the news and another +$20 in the following weeks.

Hope you are correct...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Exactly. Probably not very much, since the only way this data can be gleaned is from apps or just plain wild guessing.

• Reply 16 of 30
    The 5c was destined to do well in the US.

Whilst other countries people commonly buy their phones , and shop around for $15 to $50 contracts, the US instead mainly has an expensive rent to buy system. Obviously the 5c might save $5 in rental.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Which is what the China Mobile compatible 5c is aimed at, to provide another option alongside the similarly equipped 5s.

• Reply 18 of 30
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One month!

• Reply 19 of 30
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Unsurprisingly it's doing well in the US where one can easily find offers for "free" 5Cs with 2 year contract.

Notice China most want a 5s if they buy a iPhone.

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Which are those, among the ones listed?