Apple's education sales breached $1B for first time ever in Q3, iPad share at 94%

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company had its best quarter in education ever, generating over $1 billion in revenue on sales of iOS and Mac products, including iPads, which took a staggering 94 percent tablet marketshare in schools.

iBooks

The statistics, revealed during Apple's quarterly conference call for the company's last fiscal quarter of 2013, showed Apple as strengthening its position in the advancing education market, where Windows-based PCs have long been a dominant presence.

For the quarter ending in September, overall educational sales were up 8 percent year-over-year, with iPad showing 22 percent growth over the same period. Mac sales also jumped 8 percent compared to the same time in 2012. Highlighting the positive performance, Cook pointed out that research firm IDC estimated PC sales were down 10 percent in aggregate over 2013, with educational PC sales likely worse.

Apple has been aggressive with its iPad in education initiative, rolling out iTunes accounts for pre-teens ahead of the school year in August, thus allowing students to purchase textbooks and other educational material from iTunes and the iBookstore.

Helping along the company's education program is a trend toward tablets in the classroom. The devices are being used by a number of school districts around the U.S. as a tool for learning, with teachers able to create, distribute and curate curricula via iBooks Author and other iOS device management software. One school system in the Netherlands has replaced traditional textbooks with the iPad, along with other Apple ecosystem products.

It was reported only one year ago that the iPad was definitively replacing PC sales for educational institutions. The company has made significant progress since then.

When asked about low-cost offerings from competitors like Google's Chromebook, Cook seemed to dismiss the idea that those devices were a threat to Apple's push in education.

"We see Chromebooks in some places," he said, "but the vast majority of people are buying PC/Mac or an iPad."

Apple's chief executive seemed quite pleased with the iPad's performance over the past three months, noting it accounted for 94 percent of tablets in education.

"It's sort of unheard of," Cook said. "I've never seen a market share that high before. So we feel like we're doing really well here, and feel great to be making a contribution to education."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Seems MS is on a very slippery surface in this area. 

• Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I slipped on the tiles after stepping on some charms. I don't even know where to Start.

• Reply 3 of 20

"Breached" is certainly an interesting choice of words. They must be secretly referring to the security problems in LA with allowing iOS updates and the removal of mobileconfig profiles.

• Reply 4 of 20
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Bugger me, APPL has actually risen after Cooks announcement !
    I guess the naysayers are trying to put together some spin /s
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I slipped on the tiles after stepping on some charms. I don't even know where to Start.

Bottom left corner :-)
  • Reply 6 of 20

It's a small matter, but somewhat annoying...I don't like how the phrases "It's kind of, or it's sort of...." have made their way into the lexicon. 

It sounds awkward, inaccurate and unnecessarily clumsy. Either it is or it isn't!

• Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It's a small matter, but somewhat annoying...I don't like how the phrases "It's kind of, or it's sort of...." have made their way into the lexicon. 

It sounds awkward, inaccurate and unnecessarily clumsy. Either it is or it isn't!

I kind of agree :P 

• Reply 8 of 20

This is great for Apple and probably why iWork is free. 

Get the young familiar with the Apple eco system and both them and teachers use to using iWorks. It is easy to go from there, to the Apple store when needing tech as you grow up. 

• Reply 9 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And all those edu contracts include an Apple TV per classroom too. It's the ecosystem dummy. That, and iBooks Author. Even the Windows IT geeks can't spin enough FUD to change the minds of the school district committees on this one. 94% Apple in education. Now that will turn out to be one hell of a halo effect.

• Reply 10 of 20

Haha love it ;)

• Reply 11 of 20
    Apple has played it's cards right this time. Apple was the main player in the education market until budget Wintel machines infiltrated the education world. That started the trend to over promise and under deliver, leaving generations of kids without access to quality technology. Apple really has set themselves up for success this time. It really is all about the ecosystem.

The only way I see any serious competitor emerging is if Microsoft and Google were to merge... and that won't happen in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    [quote]The only way I see any serious competitor emerging is if Microsoft and Google were to merge... and that won't happen in the foreseeable future.[/quote]

The corporate name "SoftGoo" springs to mind... perhaps that's why they don't merge!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [Deleted duplicate post] Jeez... hit "Submit" once and four posts appear!
  • Reply 14 of 20

Who's selling the other 6% of the iPads?

• Reply 15 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Does this matter to analysts/investors/wallstreet? Of course not. It's all about the margins. The fact that Apple has suddenly dominated education and mobile devices in the corporate world in the past few years apparently means nothing. 

• Reply 16 of 20
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You do sort of have a point.

• Reply 17 of 20
    dsd wrote: »
    You do sort of have a point.

hmm, I kind of agree although it's sort of somewhat ambiguous :-)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    This is wonderful news.

Many years ago, I took an ICT teacher to task during a parents evening at one of my kids school (I am an IT consultant). After reading the content of the course, I asked him what exactly he was going to teach about spreadsheet. When he mumbled a few things about Excel and preparing the kids for the 'real world' I exploded. "What real world? Journalism, programming, accounting, mathematician, etc.? What real world?"

I wasnt't against Excel. I was against Excel ONLY (I had just found a couple of serious bugs in Excel by running the same functions/commands/calculation in OpenOffice and Gnome/KDE spreadsheets which gave different answers from Excel's buggy results).

Schools should not be hostage to manufacturer bias, but 'educate' pupils to the big wide world. One day teach your kids on Excel, the next teach them on Numbers, the next teach them of LibreOffice. They need to learn to think/explore rather than parrot our own thoughts (and yes, one of my son is an award winning graphic and web designer now, and the other one is a primary school teacher, so my approach works)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

LOL, love the alliteration there. :D
  • Reply 20 of 20

Want to earn money & help your family without going anywhere.........I make $60h - $92h...how? I'm working online now its ur turn to make money at home...................... Buzz55.?om 

Just open Home tab nd make money