Apple hints it may not have enough Retina iPad minis to meet holiday demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The big news will be the iPhone 6.

Watch out. It'll be serious business. I can't wait. 

4.6" iPhone option.
    iPads get Touch ID and A7X.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">A more accurate headline might be, "</span>
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">Apple Will Not Divulge Demand for Products, Otherwise Samsung Would Know What To Copy Next</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">.</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">"</span>

If Sammy were an everyday object their logo would have changed a while ago.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    cutykamu wrote: »
    I wanted to buy retina mini wifi 128gb but now I guess I'll get the iPad air.

You can still get a mini. Just get your order in and you'll be fine.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Probably next generation, right after the iPhone 6 comes out.

That was an easy prediction. I pretty much had already concluded the new iPads weren't getting Touch ID. I'm not buying the engineering argument Gruber claimed. If Apple had a billion spare Touch ID housings the iPhone 5s was the only product getting it this year. 1. Marketing focus/clarity. 2. 'Let the Touch ID prove itself in the real world first before we go adding to all of our products.'

Could you imagine if Touch ID buttons started failing across all of Apple's iDevices? It would be an unmitigated disaster!
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Again, should we hold a vote to stop ‘supply’ stories once and for all?

You COULD just leave the site and never again read anything about a company you so obviously hate. Maybe that’s too smart an idea for you.

Why are you such a hateful person? You need to seriously take a look in the mirror and learn how to chill out. I personally think an end to supply chain stories is not a bad idea, seeing as they basically always prove inaccurate with hindsight.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Amazing.  They only had a year to prepare.  Another holiday of missed potential sales.  When mom has to put something under the tree for little johnny and she can't get an ipad she has to get something.  Samsung thanks you Tim Cook for another execution debacle.  Anyone remember last holiday season where no iMacs were available.  Cook announced them and didn't have them until the following year thus missing the entire holiday season.

Why can Samsung and every other company sell more units than apple and have no issue with demand but Cook can't put this together since he became CEO and doesn't have Jobs screaming at him to get it done.

What a moronic, factless post. All making conclusions completely baselessly. You have no idea how much supply, or how much demand, there will be for the mini- so why are you talking out of your ass and calling for Cook's head?  "Execution debacle"? Besides the iMac redesign, hardware launches have gone incredibly smoothly under Cook- MUCH more smoothly than in the days of Jobs, when you often couldn't get a new iPhone/iPad for many weeks, or even months in my case. 

"Why can Samsung and every other company sell more units than apple and have no issue with demand but Cook can't put this together since he became CEO and doesn't have Jobs screaming at him to get it done."

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if you're actually serious with this line. "Every other company" is selling more units than Apple? Can you provide us with a list, to prove your bald faced lie? Why don't you point us all to an instance where Samsung sold 9 MILLION devices in a weekend, as Apple just did? Or ANY other company for that matter, since they "all" routinely do so according to you? You're right, all other companies have no problem with demand, because they have no demand. Apple pushes more units out at launch than any other tech company on the planet- that is a FACT- as is the fact that they also have the highest demand, which is consistently increasing. Funny how that works, eh? The Surface has no problem with demand, you know why? Because it's sold like 1.7 million units throughout its lifespan, around 10% of what Apple sells in iPads in each and every QUARTER. 

So please, point us some numbers of all these companies out-shipping Apple at launch, or GTFO with your blatant trolling and shameful, pitiful lying. It's people like you, who proudly and shamelessly post such drivel that is utterly contrary to reality, that make it so painful and tiresome to read forums. 

• Reply 27 of 64
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    You know, just get used to it. The top dog always has a target on his back. I live very near St. Louis, Missouri. Sports writers have been going after the Cardinals lately simply because they have been so successful. They make ridiculous statements to the fact that St. Louis needs to let other teams win in the postseason. The fact that the Cardinals have played in four World Series in the last ten years and that this year is their 19th trip to the big game upsets them to no end. The St. Louis Cardinals have no business being THAT good seems to be the gripe.
    Interesting. Can you provide link to article where it is suggested Cardinals should let someone else win in the postseason? Thx.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Eh. Pretty confident that anyone who really wants one for the holidays will get one. Those who wait last minute, however, probably won't. I've managed to snag every high demand gadget for the last decade, without fail. Sometimes that requires savvy shopping and regular communication with store employees and managers, sometimes it required camping out in the wee hours of the morning with other hopeful shoppers. Not rocket science, but this report probably means people won't be able to just walk into a store at 8:30 PM the 23rd and walk out with the Mini in the color and capacity of their choice.

• Reply 29 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    You know, just get used to it. The top dog always has a target on his back. I live very near St. Louis, Missouri. Sports writers have been going after the Cardinals lately simply because they have been so successful. They make ridiculous statements to the fact that St. Louis needs to let other teams win in the postseason. The fact that the Cardinals have played in four World Series in the last ten years and that this year is their 19th trip to the big game upsets them to no end. The St. Louis Cardinals have no business being THAT good seems to be the gripe.

Then I guess that you don't live that close to St. Louis if the articles are against the Cardinals.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why are you such a hateful person? You need to seriously take a look in the mirror and learn how to chill out.

I dunno, do you see a point to morons coming to a website about a company they hate and whining about the company they hate? Particularly with lies about said company and its products? Do you think there’s a valid reason we should be accommodating, in any capacity, to these psychotic imbeciles? 

• Reply 31 of 64

So - that means iPad mini is a ridiculous success - so much that Apple won't have enough to fulfill orders. That's amazing and any other hardware company (aka Android and Microsoft) would only DREAM of being in this situation.

No matter - how much you bet that will bring the stock down because 'Apple could't catch up production'.

Fucking hate Wallstreet

• Reply 32 of 64
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, should we hold a vote to stop ‘supply’ stories once and for all?

You COULD just leave the site and never again read anything about a company you so obviously hate. Maybe that’s too smart an idea for you.

I do not hate apple.  Quite the opposite.  I'm beyond frustrated at the never ending missteps and mismanagement of the company on both the product side as well as the financial side. 

Disclosure.  I own 3 iphones, 5 ipads, Apple TV and an iMac.  I'm a big apple user.  not changing.  Furthermore I am short PUTS which means I want them to do well and want the stock to go up OR I will lose money. 

Why do I argue against Apple?  Because while they are doing many good things they are also missing just as much.  This company had the chance to buy its own stock in the low 400's.  If they had any financial know how they would have done it IF they felt the future of Apple was bright.  If they did not believe in the future then I can't blame them for not buying.  Matter of fact all the top executives and board members with few exceptions sold all their stock and options the moment they vested.  Not much faith from insiders to dump like this.  Outsiders seemed to believe more than they did. Many held zero to just a couple hundred shares. 

Apple missed potential sales last year not only with iMac (no product available) but with other products too that were constrained.  Also, Cook should have already had a China Mobile deal done for this holiday.  As far as the Retina mini's you can't sell what you don't have.  There will be much lost revenue there this holiday that is never coming back to Apple.  Apple claims they also don't care about share yet cited their 94% ipad share in education in this conference call.  Why cite it if you don't care?  I will venture at the current Android tablet price points that 94% share is going down.  Under 50% in 5 years or less. 

All these things are fixable and I hope they address one or more of them.  This is where great management, not good management, is needed.  There are other problems and issues I won't even get into as not to hijack the main topic here regarding retina supply constraints.  I'm hoping that the stock can hang in the 500's or higher until January then I am out of my PUTS with 100% profit.  After that I'm done with anything apple (stock or options) and will remain a loyal user of their products until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

• Reply 33 of 64
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple has changed the game so many times, destroyed established business models, kicked major players to the sidelines, upset the paradigms, confounded the analysts, and so on, that they have made some real enemies. How would you like to be Microsoft’s Ballmer, or Nokia, or Blackberry, see Apple coming at you after it’s too late only to get run over like so much road kill? Why do you think the iHaters have hitched their wagons to Samsung, the ultimate copycat? Success breeds contempt, as the old saying goes. And Wall Street is just another enemy to overcome these days.

exactly! except you should have cited the Yankees instead, who just buy their way into the Series many years. ah but not this year!

• Reply 34 of 64
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo this is disappointing. Apple should try to anticipated demand better. Hopefully some people will buy the iPad air instead, removing some pressure off the iPad mini.

Also maybe Apple could find a way to improve production in time, but with a release by the end of November, I don't think its doable.

you know, the mini in particular is state of the art stuff. no one ever simply launch at maximum production rate with new advanced products. they need to take some months to hit full speed. i've no doubt iTouch was left out this year because they just can't produce enough of the state of the art sensors yet, they need them all for the 5S. you're being unrealistic.

• Reply 35 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mvigod wrote: »
    I do not hate apple.  Quite the opposite.  I'm beyond frustrated at the never ending missteps and mismanagement of the company on both the product side as well as the financial side. 

Disclosure.  I own 3 iphones, 5 ipads, Apple TV and an iMac.  I'm a big apple user.  not changing.  Furthermore I am short PUTS which means I want them to do well and want the stock to go up OR I will lose money. 

Why do I argue against Apple?  Because while they are doing many good things they are also missing just as much.  This company had the chance to buy its own stock in the low 400's.  If they had any financial know how they would have done it IF they felt the future of Apple was bright.  If they did not believe in the future then I can't blame them for not buying.  Matter of fact all the top executives and board members with few exceptions sold all their stock and options the moment they vested.  Not much faith from insiders to dump like this.  Outsiders seemed to believe more than they did. Many held zero to just a couple hundred shares. 

Apple missed potential sales last year not only with iMac (no product available) but with other products too that were constrained.  Also, Cook should have already had a China Mobile deal done for this holiday.  As far as the Retina mini's you can't sell what you don't have.  There will be much lost revenue there this holiday that is never coming back to Apple.  Apple claims they also don't care about share yet cited their 94% ipad share in education in this conference call.  Why cite it if you don't care?  I will venture at the current Android tablet price points that 94% share is going down.  Under 50% in 5 years or less. 

All these things are fixable and I hope they address one or more of them.  This is where great management, not good management, is needed.  There are other problems and issues I won't even get into as not to hijack the main topic here regarding retina supply constraints.  I'm hoping that the stock can hang in the 500's or higher until January then I am out of my PUTS with 100% profit.  After that I'm done with anything apple (stock or options) and will remain a loyal user of their products until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

I forget, what multi-billion dollar company do you run again?

I love how these armchair analysts / concern trolls know how to run Apple better than Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

You’ve been around long enough to know not to do that.

If they had any financial know how they would have done it IF they felt the future of Apple was bright.

1. Why?

1a. Why?

1b. Prove they have “no financial know-how”. Prove the only possible course of action was to have repurchased stock.

There will be much lost revenue there this holiday that is never coming back to Apple.

Well, that’s wrong. But keep saying it; I’m sure it will be true someday.

…until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

And yet somehow all this hasn’t done that already. Oh, precious.

• Reply 37 of 64
    mvigod wrote: »
    Amazing.  They only had a year to prepare.  Another holiday of missed potential sales.  When mom has to put something under the tree for little johnny and she can't get an ipad she has to get something.  Samsung thanks you Tim Cook for another execution debacle.

Samsung wishes.
    If you had said Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire, I might have taken you more seriously. But Samsung??? Coby's gonna sell more junky Android 2.3 tablets at $69 than Samsung.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ireland wrote: »
    4.6" iPhone option.
    iPads get Touch ID and A7X.
    4.3 or 4.8 is much more likely aspect ratio wise
    iPads get touch id and A8. Why would you think an A7X would be any improvement?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well this should only increase demand. Very nice Mr. Cook. Well done.

That was my first thought.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPads get touch id and A8. Why would you think an A7X would be any improvement?

The age of “X” chips is over. The standard ones are weeks away from proving they can handle retina screens. X was a stopgap. ARM has now caught up with this power, and Apple has learned enough to make one chip per revision. It’s going to save them a ton and improve our experiences while doing it.

The 8th iPhone, 6th iPad, and… what, I guess, 6th iPod touch will get A8. Exactly.