Apple hints it may not have enough Retina iPad minis to meet holiday demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

I will venture at the current Android tablet price points that 94% share is going down.  Under 50% in 5 years or less.

I venture that in 5 years or less there will be no Android.

• Reply 42 of 64
    Why does Apple always do this kind of shit? More than 1 month after iPhone 5S has been released, stocks are still extremely limited in my country where as for iPhone 5, that wasn't the case. Apple could have sold more if they kept up with production, and I'm certain Apple has the capacity to do so, given that people who ordered online instead of the telcos could get them, except they have to wait for a while longer.

I think the only real production problem Apple had was the iPhone 4 white, where they could not get the white faceplate colour correct and consistent and thick enough not to leak light.

Besides that, it seems like Apple has not given any explanation for the current shortage. And I'm sure the iPad mini final design was done much earlier than the announcement date. They definitely could bump up production. It really seems like Apple gets a kick from their artificial scarcity marketing strategy.

The iPad Air and Mini will definitely be a hit. Especially the mini. Seems like Apple does not want their own Mini to cannibalize sales of their Air. The same way they didn't want 5S to reduce sales of the 5C, because 5C was supposed to capture the middle-high end segment of the market.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

I venture that in 5 years or less there will be no Android.

well, there may no longer be a Google-curated Android with that official brand name (i assume Google has it trademarked?). yes, Google may shift completely to Chrome with its own 'walled garden' ecosystem rather than profitlessly continue to be Samsung's R&D department.  

but there will certainly be many 'forked' versions of the same basic Linux/Java OS, whatever it is called, used by OEM's all around the world to crank out cheap phones and tablets in the hundreds of millions while paying no license fees. it'll be the wild west out there.

• Reply 44 of 64

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want the Mini or the Air. The Mini performance jump along with the Retina display is going to be a really nice product. What is really going to push it past the iPad Air is the Mini will make a great Christmas gift for younger children because it just simply fits in their hands better.

Most children I see at the 10 and under age now have a Mini.

• Reply 45 of 64
    herbapou wrote: »
    imo this is disappointing. Apple should try to anticipated demand better. Hopefully some people will buy the iPad air instead, removing some pressure off the iPad mini.

Also maybe Apple could find a way to improve production in time, but with a release by the end of November, I don't think its doable.

Don't take it too hard. They'll be just fine.
  • Reply 46 of 64

Get what you want; not what Apple Tim Cook want you to buy!  No offense; but you seem to act like one of one of the Apple minions! LOL!

• Reply 47 of 64

Screw Tim Cook!  He say anything to get the media hype on market the new iPads.  If Nexus 7 can meet the marketplace demands; why can't Apple do the same.  It just one of the old, stupid Apple marketing strategies that Apple dos every season.  Make me sick to hear this stuff all over again!

I'm going to buy my iPad Mini Retina when I want to!  Screw Apple and Tim Cook! Not going to stand in line for it!  Might pay someone else to however!  LOL!

• Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A more accurate headline might be, "Apple Will Not Divulge Demand for Products, Otherwise Samsung Would Know What To Copy Next."

Samsung makes the screens displays and the A7 processor for Apple.  Samsung already know how many of every product that Apple is going to be making since they are the major suppliers of component to Apple.  They have try to branch out to different suppliers but went back to Samsung. 

• Reply 49 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I dunno, do you see a point to morons coming to a website about a company they hate and whining about the company they hate? Particularly with lies about said company and its products? Do you think there’s a valid reason we should be accommodating, in any capacity, to these psychotic imbeciles? 

Psychotic imbeciles? He said this: 'again, should we have a vote to stop supply chain stories...'

What's hateful about that? Frankly, it's a good idea given the past history of Apple supply chain stories. I can understand your frustration with people coming here to hate on Apple, but responding to this post like that is lunacy.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    commentsf wrote: »
    So - that means iPad mini is a ridiculous success - so much that Apple won't have enough to fulfill orders.

Not onto does it not mean that, I doesn't mean anything at this point. The mini isn't out yet and no one knows what the order numbers will look like. Even if Apple will have plenty of minis the last thing they'd want to do is predict if they'll have plenty/enough and announce that to the world.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    mvigod wrote: »

Why do I argue against Apple?  Because while they are doing many good things they are also missing just as much.  This company had the chance to buy its own stock in the low 400's.  If they had any financial know how they would have done it IF they felt the future of Apple was bright.

We have a phrase here in Ireland called 'a hurler on the ditch'. It's easy to sit on a ditch/couch and criticise one of if not the most cash rich companies on the planet. Are Apple perfect? No. Shock horror. Are they run well? Yes. Go back 15 years and give you the financial reigns of Apple and we'll see if you could have done any better with them. I doubt it.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    andysol wrote: »
    Why would you think an A7X would be any improvement?

It would be double the graphics performance. For some reason my gut said iOS devices will get A7x next year. Don't know why but that just feels possible.
  • Reply 53 of 64

WOW!! check this Beautiful leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png

• Reply 54 of 64

WOW!! check this Beautiful leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png

• Reply 55 of 64

Iphone 6 is simply superb .Waiting for it thanks for leaking earlier

• Reply 56 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The age of “X” chips is over. The standard ones are weeks away from proving they can handle retina screens. X was a stopgap. ARM has now caught up with this power, and Apple has learned enough to make one chip per revision. It’s going to save them a ton and improve our experiences while doing it.

The X chips provide more bandwidth to the GPU and more GPU power (quad vs dual).  It wasn't never ARM that was the limitation…not that Imagination Tech was slacking or anything but it was the GPU in the standard iPhone SoC that was too slow.  The A7 CPU is around twice as fast as the A6X CPU in single core performance.  The PowerVR G6430 GPU on the other hand is on par with the the older PowerVR SGX 554MP4.  That's more than good enough for the mini.

In any case the A7s in the iPads will likely clocked faster than in the phone just because they can and usually do.

• Reply 57 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It would be double the graphics performance. For some reason my gut said iOS devices will get A7x next year. Don't know why but that just feels possible.

Apple had the option of going with the G6630 for the iPad Air and opted not to.  Given that it is very unlikely that the A7X moniker will ever get used.

• Reply 58 of 64
    Originally Posted by just1ed View Post

Why does Apple always do this kind of shit?

Because they’re not doing anything. Please don’t project analyst lies onto Apple.

Apple could have sold more if they kept up with production

Prove they haven’t.

Besides that, it seems like Apple has not given any explanation for the current shortage.

Demand.

Explanation: Given.

They definitely could bump up production.

Prove they’re not already at full capacity.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Psychotic imbeciles? He said this: 'again, should we have a vote to stop supply chain stories...'

Wait, that was me. That was me, referencing an older post I made in another supply chain story.

• Reply 59 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    just1ed wrote: »
    Why does Apple always do this kind of shit? More than 1 month after iPhone 5S has been released, stocks are still extremely limited in my country where as for iPhone 5, that wasn't the case. Apple could have sold more if they kept up with production, and I'm certain Apple has the capacity to do so, given that people who ordered online instead of the telcos could get them, except they have to wait for a while longer.

I think the only real production problem Apple had was the iPhone 4 white, where they could not get the white faceplate colour correct and consistent and thick enough not to leak light.

Besides that, it seems like Apple has not given any explanation for the current shortage. And I'm sure the iPad mini final design was done much earlier than the announcement date. They definitely could bump up production. It really seems like Apple gets a kick from their artificial scarcity marketing strategy.

The iPad Air and Mini will definitely be a hit. Especially the mini. Seems like Apple does not want their own Mini to cannibalize sales of their Air. The same way they didn't want 5S to reduce sales of the 5C, because 5C was supposed to capture the middle-high end segment of the market.

Apple can't produce millions of idevice in an instant. Demand will always be higher than supply initially for Apple products.
    harry wild wrote: »
    Screw Tim Cook!  He say anything to get the media hype on market the new iPads.  If Nexus 7 can meet the marketplace demands; why can't Apple do the same.  It just one of the old, stupid Apple marketing strategies that Apple dos every season.  Make me sick to hear this stuff all over again!

I'm going to buy my iPad Mini Retina when I want to!  Screw Apple and Tim Cook! Not going to stand in line for it!  Might pay someone else to however!  LOL!

Tell me how many Nexus 7s were sold/shipped last qtr. Compare that to the 14MM iPads were shipped/sold. There's your answer.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    harry wild wrote: »
    Get what you want; not what Apple Tim Cook want you to buy!  No offense; but you seem to act like one of one of the Apple minions! LOL!

They are called customers, not minions.