Apple stores to offer in-store pickup of iPad Air on Friday, suggesting strong supply

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Availability of the new thin and light iPad Air may not be constrained for Friday's launch, as Apple is reportedly planning to offer in-store pickup options at its own retail outlets.

iPad Air
Apple's new iPad Air. | Photo: Daniel Eran Dilger

An Apple Retail source who spoke with MacRumors indicated that Apple is apparently planning to make its Personal Pickup option available to customers for Friday's launch. That would be an unusual move for the company, as new products are typically constrained at launch.

Apple is not accepting preorders for the iPad Air ahead of Friday's debut. Stores are set to open at 8 a.m. local time on Friday for the new iPad's launch, while the online store is expected to begin taking orders for home delivery at 12:01 a.m. Pacific on Friday.

Though Apple is not offering preorders, the fact that Personal Pickup will apparently be available on launch day could be a sign that the company is confident in its ability to meet demand through the launch weekend.

Strong availability is not, however, expected for Apple's iPad mini with Retina display when that device goes on sale later this month. Apple has not yet committed to a specific launch date for the second-generation iPad mini, but it's been suggested that supply issues may linger through early 2014, due to rumored yield issues with the device's high-resolution display.

Announced last week, the new iPad Air is thinner and lighter than its predecessor, weighing in at one pound and measuring just 7.5 millimeters thick. Apple has said it's the lightest full-size tablet in the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

NO. REALLY.

Can we vote on whether or not “supply” articles should be written anymore?

• Reply 2 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet they just 'fly' off the shelves ... :D
  • Reply 3 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Microsoft has been calling Apple's tablets as being "light" for business purposes. Perhaps they meant light in the weight sense.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Microsoft is holding back office for iOS, as they know it is the only leg they have to stand on for their entire tablet business. The only chance they have at selling single Surface device, rests on convincing people that Office apps are reason enough to buy any one particular tablet.
    Once Surface 2 has failed as miserably as Surface 1, you will quickly see Office released for iPad...so that Microsoft can begin to bring in some revenue from the worldwide tablet market.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Here's hoping that at 3 AM I can reserve an iPad Air for pickup at local Apple, and walk in Saturday afternoon and pick it up without some stupid queue in front of the store.

And, allow me to purchase using AT&T Next, all through the Apple Store iOS app.

Is there any reason to believe that this won't be the case? Should I try att.com instead?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Sounds good to me.  Plan on picking on up Friday afternoon if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Once Surface 2 has failed as miserably as Surface 1, you will quickly see Office released for iPad...so that Microsoft can begin to bring in some revenue from the worldwide tablet market.

However, they'll be too late because people will wonder what value Office would bring them when they have a full iWork suite available to them for free.

• Reply 7 of 20
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    NO. REALLY.

Can we vote on whether or not “supply” articles should be written anymore?

I like this kind though. It let's me know if I can sleep or need to get in a line.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Glad to know that I won't have to fight for an iPad Air 64GB LTE. On second thought, I would probably never have to fight for that configuration anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 20

From what I have been reading you can only do AT&T Next from them.

I found this on their website, "AT&T Next available only at AT&T owned retail stores & att.com."

If you find anything different let us know. Thanks!

Jeff

• Reply 10 of 20

Cool I might pick up one, but on BLACK Friday, if the discount is good enough.

• Reply 11 of 20
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Hmm.  It's a bit of a drive -- there are FOUR Apple stores in my area, but none of them are that close, which is irritating -- but I may very well try this.  That way, I can send my old one into Gazelle, get my money soon, and not be without an iPad at all.

Plus, there are a couple pretty decent restaurants at the mall there.  Get a new iPad Air, have a good meal.  Sounds like a good day, all around.

• Reply 12 of 20
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I hope Best Buy has ample stock as well Friday morning. I've got $420 in Best Buy Reward certificates and $200 in Best Buy gift cards to cash in on a 32GB iPad Air WiFi
  • Reply 13 of 20
    My dad turns 70 this year in November.

Happy birthday Dad ;)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

Microsoft has been calling Apple's tablets as being "light" for business purposes. Perhaps they meant light in the weight sense.

No, they mean "light" in the feature sense.

• Reply 15 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I hope Best Buy has ample stock as well Friday morning. I've got $420 in Best Buy Reward certificates and $200 in Best Buy gift cards to cash in on a 32GB iPad Air WiFi

I asked about this on Friday, and the manager at my local store said they'd know on Wednesday what their stock would be like Friday morning. He figured it would be similar to the Mini launch last year, with a decent supply of every model and color for those who showed up before noon Friday. Depending on who is guaranteeing stock, I'll be going to BB or the Apple Store before work because I need a 32GB AT&T model, and I've noticed they both tend to stock 10 times as many wifi units as Wifi + Cellular.

• Reply 16 of 20
    It has nothing to do with strong supply so much as folks grabbing them from home to keep resellers from getting them all.

With luck it will be on at midnight if not sooner so the stock can be pulled before doors open etc. Even better would be if you have to do it to get an iPad in store. So they can watch for repeaters and slow their roll
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gotapple wrote: »
    Cool I might pick up one, but on BLACK Friday, if the discount is good enough.

Unlikely. Apple never does decent Black Friday sales. It's generally just the education discounts for everyone. Which on iPads is only like $50 at most
  • Reply 18 of 20
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

On the 3rd gen and it's time for an upgrade. Would love to browse somewhat rich websites without it chugging. Also really want the slimmer lighter body style for reading. The current iPad's are weighty. 

• Reply 19 of 20
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple never does decent Black Friday sales.

Subjective.

• Reply 20 of 20

Want to earn money & help your family without going anywhere.........I make $60h - $92h...how? I'm working online now its ur turn to make money at home...................... Buzz55.?om 

Just open Home tab nd make money