Steve Jobs's childhood home gains official landmark status

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Los Altos, Calif. home that sheltered Apple during its formative years has been designated as a "historic resource" by the Los Altos Historical Commission after a two-year effort.

Steve Jobs's childhood home

Commissioners were unanimous in their assent during a Monday evening hearing, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The designation gives the Los Altos Historical Commission the right to review any proposed changes to the 1950s-era property, with final approval for renovations needed from the City Council.

The ranch-style home's current owner, Steve Jobs's sister, Patricia, was consulted on the designation but her approval was not required. Last month, Patricia Jobs told the paper that she did not oppose the effort, but was upset that she was not consulted from the beginning.

"I want to cooperate," she said in an interview, "but I also want to know what is expected of us."

The first batch of 100 Apple I computers was assembled by the Jobs siblings and Steve Wozniak at the home, with 50 sold to a local retailer and the balance going to other members of the Homebrew Computer Club, an early microcomputer enthusiast's group of which the two Steves were a part. Apple moved to Cupertino nine months later.

According to the paper, the commission's evaluation was effusive in its praise of the late Apple CEO.

"Steve Jobs is considered a genius who blended technology and creativity to invent and market a product which dramatically changed many industries. His influence is expected to be felt by multiple generations forthcoming," wrote Commissioner Sapna Marfatia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

Good. Here’s something that deserves it; it’s a landmark for all humanity. Now let’s scrap that fountain, shall we?

• Reply 2 of 18
    Looks like someone really needs to water the grass.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Patricia must have a say in this one
  • Reply 4 of 18
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Not to be outdone, today Samsung unveiled their own building to be declared a landmark.  Notice the false front of the building…’nuff said.

;-)

• Reply 5 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So does the Historical Society pay for repairs or do they force to owner to make needed repairs such as the cracked and rust stained driveway in the photo? I still think Apple should buy the home and preserve it.

• Reply 6 of 18
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So does the Historical Society pay for repairs or do they force to owner to make needed repairs such as the cracked and rust stained driveway in the photo? I still think Apple should buy the home and preserve it.

Well, first, this is a much better picture to use.

Second, it looks like it was cracked the last time Steve was there.

So maybe it’s authentic.

• Reply 7 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The garage looks like the best part of that house.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Well that such for the owners, if they want to do anything to the house the historically society will have to sign off. 

I live in a town which has a number of home which have "historical significant" and the owners can not do anything to the home especially on the outside without the groups approval.

I am not sure what this country has come to when an owner of the property can not do what they like to their own property without a bunch of nosy bodies looking over your shoulder all the time. 

• Reply 9 of 18
    maestro64 wrote: »

I am not sure what this country has come to when an owner of the property can not do what they like to their own property without a bunch of nosy bodies looking over your shoulder all the time. 
    On the other hand Mount Vernon and Monticello might be long gone if nosy bodies hadn't looked over some shoulders. Or more to the point, Edison's place.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    On the other hand Mount Vernon and Monticello might be long gone if nosy bodies hadn't looked over some shoulders. Or more to the point, Edison's place.
    Edison was a scumbag who threw Nikola Tesla under the bus.

Back on point however, this is pretty interesting. As I said previous, when I think of a historical building I think more of Presidential birthplaces, Lexington & Concord etc, but this is also historic in its own right and should thus be protected.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple's original corporate HQ looks modest. Not like the mothership being built.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If someone who own the property want to keep it like it is and wants people to donate funds to make it happen, fine with me. But when people who you have no business with you decide they want to make your property important to them and keep you from doing as you like with your own property, that is not what American is about. In this case I have no idea whether the current owner want this or not, but I suspect that the owners had little say in the matter. Trust me I seen it done before. This is why Steve other property fell in disrepair since most people can not nor do they want to afford to maintain the property to the level which these groups want so it just easier to let it fall apart. In Steve's case i suspect he let it fall apart so he could tear it down.

• Reply 13 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »

They don't pay for repairs nor do they seldom allow changes to be made especially in front of the house.
  • Reply 14 of 18

Want to earn money & help your family without going anywhere.........I make $60h - $92h...how? I'm working online now its ur turn to make money at home...................... Buzz55.?om 

Just open Home tab nd make money

• Reply 15 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I would NEVER want my house to be declared historical, nor would I buy such a house.

In effect you are trapped in a museum house, which is almost unsalable.

• Reply 16 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    josha wrote: »
    I would NEVER want my house to be declared historical, nor would I buy such a house.
    In effect you are trapped in a museum house, which is almost unsalable.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/29/john-lennon-first-house-sells

"John Lennon's modest first home has sold for almost half a million pounds – despite going on the market for just £150,000."

Depends whose house it is. If it's the house of some pervy, child kidnapper, they just pull it down:

http://news.sky.com/story/1125629/ariel-castros-dungeon-home-is-torn-down
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They don't pay for repairs nor do they seldom allow changes to be made especially in front of the house.

From what I have seen living in a community which has properties which date back to the 1800's and 1700's and George Washington may have sleep in a number of these places. The people who want your place preserve have little to no power to force you to keep your home up to their standards. They have lots of harassing power and make like difficult, however, when and if you choose to do anything on your home they have the power to make sure you do it to their standard. What usually happens is the the owner it forces the sell the house below market value if they could not keep it up since someone who is willing to buy it and deal with the controlling people will not pay and know they will have to spend big $ to bring the house up to standards.

Just one example I have seen, today you can use material on your house which are more durable and will last far longer with less maintenance than the period material, many times these groups will not let you use the modern material so you repair costs are higher and you will have on going maintenance cost verse the newer materials.

• Reply 18 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    From what I have seen living in a community which has properties which date back to the 1800's and 1700's and George Washington may have sleep in a number of these places. The people who want your place preserve have little to no power to force you to keep your home up to their standards. They have lots of harassing power and make like difficult, however, when and if you choose to do anything on your home they have the power to make sure you do it to their standard. What usually happens is the the owner it forces the sell the house below market value if they could not keep it up since someone who is willing to buy it and deal with the controlling people will not pay and know they will have to spend big $ to bring the house up to standards.

Just one example I have seen, today you can use material on your house which are more durable and will last far longer with less maintenance than the period material, many times these groups will not let you use the modern material so you repair costs are higher and you will have on going maintenance cost verse the newer materials.

Where I live there are entire streets labeled as 'historical' thus each and every house falls within that category. The home owners have more leeway in the back of the house but need to maintain the front as original as possible. It's much easier to those that own attached brick or brownstone houses than the houses that are detached and made out of wood.