Apple's research & development costs ballooned 32% in 2013 to $4.5B

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's investments in research and development continue to grow, surging another 32 percent in fiscal 2013 to reach $4.5 billion --?its highest-ever sum spent in a 12-month span.

R&D

Apple's R&D expenses, discovered by AppleInsider on Wednesday in the company's annual Form 10-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, were up from $3.4 billion in fiscal 2012. That was also 39 percent increase from the $2.4 billion Apple spent on R&D in 2011.

In the 10-K filing, Apple noted that although R&D expenses have grown significantly over the last few years, the amount spent remains fairly consistent with respect to the company's net sales -- numbers that have also grown significantly.

It was disclosed that the growth in R&D expenses was driven by an increase in personnel, as well as related expenses to support expanded activities."(Apple) continues to believe that focused investments in R&D are critical to its future growth and position in the marketplace." - Apple's Form 10-K filing

"The Company continues to believe that focused investments in R&D are critical to its future growth and competitive position in the marketplace and are directly related to timely development of new and enhanced products that are central to the Company's core business strategy," the filing reads. "As such, the Company expects to make further investments in R&D to remain competitive."

The spending still remains a relatively small amount of Apple's overall cash position. As of the conclusion of the September quarter, the company had nearly $150 billion cash on hand, with $111 billion of it held overseas.

The Cupertino, Calif., company also revealed its capital expenditures for fiscal 2013 were $7 billion. That consisted of $499 million for retail store facilities, and another $6.5 billion for other capital expenditures, such as product tooling, manufacturing process equipment, corporate facilities, and infrastructure.

Apple disclosed to the SEC that it plans to spend about $11 billion on capital expenditures in 2014. About $550 million of that will go toward retail store facilities, as the Mac maker expects to open about 30 new retail stores and remodel 20 existing stores in the fiscal year.

iPhone 5s Teardown
Source: iFixit

Other facts and figures revealed by Apple in its 2013 10-K:
  • As of Oct. 18, there were 24,710 AAPL shareholders of record.
  • As of Sept. 28, Apple had about 80,300 full-time equivalent employees, with about 42,800 of the them working in the company's retail operations.
  • As of the end of the September quarter, Apple owned or leased about 19.1 million square feet of building space, primarily in the U.S., with about 12 million of it being leased building space.
  • Apple revealed it owns a total of 1,428 acres of land in various locations.
  • A total of $10.5 billion was paid out in dividends in fiscal 2013, up from $2.5 billion in 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79

This is proof they’re working on a car.

• Reply 2 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Something's odd. Apple can't possibly have just 24,710 shareholders. That number must be from something more specific.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It will be powered by the sun, be more reliable than M$ car, run five times faster, and be twice as easy to drive. But it will only run on 15% of the roads...

But at least the Air Bag system wouldn't ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.

• Reply 4 of 79
    I may sell my car to buy more apple stock. Damn I love this company!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 79
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Something's odd. Apple can't possibly have just 24,710 shareholders. That number must be from something more specific.

Shareholders of record - is that holding more than 1,000 shares, 5,000, 25,000?

• Reply 6 of 79
    The shareholders of record is on page 22 of the annual report.

The low number reflect ownership by hedge funds, mutual funds, etc. It is also possible the stock is held in street name as opposed to the account-holder's name.
  • Reply 7 of 79

co-incedentally samsungs R&D costs increased by 32% too.

it's 4.509 billion.

I think the extra 0.009 billion is for the fake R&D at samsung spending their time playing candy crush and making false rumours about apple.

• Reply 8 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

... Champagne gold with optional matching protective bumpers according to rumors. Digitimes claims the iCar will also come with a leather parking enclosure. Take that with a grain of salt as I can't imagine Apple would include it for free.

Mentioned options include an integrated iWatch and a rear-seat AppleTV, all Siri-controlled of course and remotely synced to all your devices. If true, and according to Munster it is, Apple's upcoming remote iGuidance should allow control of all auto functions from home or work using iCloud integration via your iPad or iPhone. (The Mac won't initially be supported.) IMHO it will be great for getting those teenagers back to the house by curfew. Apple's iCar is predicted to be wildly popular with the high school crowd too according to Katy Huberty who cited a Changewave survey finding that 80% of those 16-24 will buy one no matter the price.

Another blog mentions that Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning will be supplying the windshield but no word on the side or rear glass.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... Champagne gold with optional matching protective bumpers according to rumors. Digitimes claims the iCar will also come with a leather parking enclosure. Take that with a grain of salt as I can't imagine Apple would include it for free.

Mentioned options include an integrated iWatch and a rear-seat AppleTV, all Siri-controlled of course and remotely synced to all your devices. If true, and according to Munster it is, Apple's upcoming remote iGuidance should allow control of all auto functions from home or work using iCloud integration via your iPad or iPhone. (The Mac won't initially be supported.) IMHO it will be great for getting those teenagers back to the house by curfew. Apple's iCar is predicted to be wildly popular with the high school crowd according to Katy Huberty who citing a Changewave survey finding that 80% of those 16-24 will buy one no matter the price.

Another blog mentions that Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning will be supplying the windshield but no word on the side or rear glass.

with option to use google maps instead of apple maps.

• Reply 10 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bananaman wrote: »
    with option to use google maps instead of apple maps.

That sounds just ridiculous. I call BS on that one.

:D

EDIT: Breaking news at TheVerge. Apparently the iCar will be the first Apple product making extensive use of Liquid Metal. Now it all makes sense.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iWatch, iTV, battery improvements etc.

Apple needs to improve their speakers on all their products. This is crucially important to me. The new iMac sounds far worst than the old model, but is thinner! Is that the right trade off on an iMac? I don't think so.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pfft. Apple still not spending enough in R&D!! They have a $150 bn in the bank.i guess Cook really wants to swim in a vault of gold coins. /s
  • Reply 13 of 79

iCar will also be an electric car which can go 500 miles per full charge(lolwut)

• Reply 14 of 79
    I applaud seeing Apple spend on Research and Development. In fact, this is where Apple can smartly spend its billions in profit.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Increased R&D spending is a good thing..
  • Reply 16 of 79
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple needs to improve their speakers on all their products. This is crucially important to me. The new iMac sounds far worst than the old model, but is thinner! Is that the right trade off on an iMac? I don't think so.

I feel your pain, but physics are physics.  Personally, I've never NOT had external speakers (with sub) on any desktop, even the last iMac I owned (2007).

• Reply 17 of 79
    Most wanted Iphone6 picture has been leaked online with 5 inch display & ultraslim features.I know u would like to see Iphone6 image here http://bit.do/dkic
  • Reply 18 of 79

Can't wait to see pundits' headlines.

Apple Increases R&D Funding in Poor Attempt to Address Floundering Innovation

• Reply 19 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iWatch, iTV, battery improvements etc.

Are you honestly buying an iMac for its speakers? That's ridiculous. Aesthetics are way more important than acoustics for an Apple desktop.

• Reply 20 of 79

Apple Board seriously need to think about the amount of money Apple will be making in couple of years and invest them wisely and actively. They seem so slow in service sector growth and buyouts of some decent size market cap company which creates regular free cash flows!

Bottom line : Hardware business will not work forever! Competitors will copy, New companies will emerge!

Get aggressive in Service business like Apple Payments, Entertainment like Netflix, Data Provider (use VOIP) (Kick out T, VZ and get rid of phone minutes), Cable business (iTV), iSearch. Do anything but do it :p  Kick out the lazy board members like GORE! Get in guys like Elon Musk!