Review roundup: Apple's new iPad Air is light, powerful with extended battery life

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Looking forward now to the iPad 6 with a quad core A8 processor, double graphics performance (yet again), fingerprint sensor, 8 megapixel camera, 2 GB RAM, super fast eSATA flash storage and iOS 8 with a real file system and desktop features. I would not be surprised to see keyboard covers from Apple as well to turn it into a true laptop computer for those that want to use it that way. It's only a year away now.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

eSATA flash storage

You mean PCIe, except it won’t be.

…a real file system and desktop features. 

Yeah, this isn’t happening, ever, and you should know that by now. It has a real file system. You are never getting access to it.

I would not be surprised to see keyboard covers from Apple as well to turn it into a true laptop computer

Do you know anything at all about Apple? Have you ever seen their products? How about a keynote, did you see any of those?

• Reply 43 of 44
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

It's not FUD if I'm speaking from experience. I'm already annoyed by my 1GB iOS devices. 

Bringing up what ancient machines had or games used brings nothing to this discussion. In 2013, 1GB causes Safari to boot tabs out of main memory like crazy, and even one heavy duty modern game will boot all other apps from memory and will reload itself after going to the home screen, that's all I need to know. 

I've been a iPad 1, 2 and 3 owner, I've play with jailbreaked iOS device since the original iPhone and  I've surfed the net with NCSA Mosaic alpha and a 1200 bauds modem.  I don't think you've got a good idea of how much resources you really needs for running apps, developer do, users usually don't (when is the last time you've check your page ins-page outs value on your iPad ?).  Beside what is the problems with swap out from ram background and inactive apps and reload back from flash memory? If there is a real problem here why it doesn't concern game console?  Apple developer guides line are pretty explicit on limits developer need to consider and got the most homogenous mobile platforms, for any software issues there is no one else to blame than developers. 

I haven't seen yet a iOS developer blogs saying they don't have enough resource to play with when it compare with Android ecosystem. 

• Reply 44 of 44
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Also, doesn’t Apple have a patent on new RAM that only powers what’s in use?

I saw that patent, Like many Apple patent I don't know if any iDevice is using it yet.   I'm still waiting for liquid metal casing, self charging device with solar panel on the back and multi layer display.