iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Let's hear all the AAPL apologists rationalize why this is good news... Wait, now begin!

Asked and you shall receive. Because it's quite tiring this statistic without a good analysis, especially coming from IDC who was wrong time and time again.

Analysis of Tablet Market Share.

Quote:

If this theory is correct, it suggests that Apple's $300 Mini really isn't a competitive problem, because the iPad doesn't yet face a strong competitive threat (quite unlike the iPhone). Rather, there are actually two quite different markets: the post-PC vision, where Apple is dominant, and a ultra-low margin product that’s also called a tablet but which is really a totally different product.  

• Reply 22 of 104
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

This is the usual and sensational BS to send the stock down a few points and nothing else. In fact, it is hardly worth to debate those numbers in any way, because they're completely out of context.

The sensational headline doesn't help credibility, it mentions iPad marketshare plummeting xyz percent, however the numbers are related to quarterly unit shipments rather than marketshare by any metric.

All that has been said above is correct, people don't "feel" those numbers right, because all those Android tablets are nowhere to be seen out in the wild, those numbers also feel wrong because none of these numbers translate into any usage share whatsoever, so we all know about what kind of devices are being counted there, not even speaking of other funny jokes such as Galaxy Notes probably being double counted as phone and tablet shipments. ;-)

However:

1.) Quarterly shipments and marketshare are two very different things.

2.) It is totally irrelevant to compare Q3 of this year to last years, considering that last year there was a brand new model in this very same quarter and this year there wasn't.

All in all, I'm getting used to such garbage from IDC, tailored towards affecting the stock price and nothing else, because the numbers are totally meaningless and we'll be proven right once again the next time some actually meaningful numbers are published.

• Reply 23 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I wonder what the numbers looked like if you removed the brands and models that don't actually get used, but are the cheap crap that's actually used for about a week and then put in a drawer and forgotten?
  • Reply 24 of 104
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    [U][/U]Can anyone please tell me who the 16+ other companies making all these 'Other' tablets are and what models they are selling? It would make the figures slightly less difficult to swallow!
  • Reply 25 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does IDC arrive at its numbers? I think it's BS. And yes I know Apple sometimes quotes these figures, but I don't care. Since Apple is the only manufacturer to provide shipment figures how in the world can IDC know what % of the market they have? And do we know how many of these tablets are actually being used on a regular basis? Honestly I don't think Apple is competing with some cheap garbage android tablet sold at Tesco's.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's irrelevant news, actually.

Irrelevant, sure... but I'd love to see Apple sell 85 million iPads in 2014 to make it even more irrelevant.

• Reply 27 of 104
    Hello Apple fans, just to let you guys know, in Samsung's home country South Korea, Apple is already a bankrupt company. That's how most of the Korean media portray Apple day in and day out. They love to diss Apple any way they can. I guess this is because Samsung is practically the whole country of South Korea, the entire economy is dependent upon Samsung which is responsible for 28% of the nation's exports. it's pretty pathetic the entire nation depends on just ONE company for its economic future. Trust me, it will be China, not Apple or Google, that will kill Samsung. The Chinese will copy whatever Samsung has done at lightning speed and dump all kinds of electronics products at rock bottom prices. That's how Samsung will be killed....by the Chinese.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple is not in the business of selling cheap junk to poor people, so who cares about Android market share? It's pretty much meaningless. That's the typical Android customer, somebody who is a penny pincher, and who is merely looking to buy whatever is cheap. This particular breed of people will balk at anything that costs more than a few hundred dollars. 

As an example, Tim Cook said in the earnings call that it was never Apple's intention to make the iPhone 5c an entry level phone. Quite a few people were mistakingly expecting that. Apple is playing on a higher level, a much higher level. Apple is about making the best products and having the best customer satisfaction out of anybody. That's their words, not mine. Apple is not chasing market share by making devices with little or no profit and selling those devices to bums who have no money. Apple's strategy is working out just fine, as they are raking in a ton of money, because they do have the best products in the world, the best user experience in the world, the best eco-system in the world, and there is no shortage of people willing to buy those products.

It's pretty funny how Apple has to be compared to every other company in the world (combined!) that makes Android products, and Apple is still kicking their pathetic asses.

And just wait until Friday, when the best tablet in the world goes on sale. 

• Reply 29 of 104
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Well that single line of tablet did had almost 100% of the market share back in 2010. Apple could had pulled an iPod and maintain dominance, but it looks more like a repeat of the iPhone. 

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to maintain a dominant marketshare in ANY market where others see interest. Competitors will flood the market with devices continuously pushing Apple's share down. There's absolutely nothing Apple can do about that nor does it have any reflection on how well Apple is running their business or how well the iPad is actually doing. "Shipments" that are reported by these reports are just that, devices that were shipped to market. It doesn't say anything about how many are sold and if they're even being used by people that did buy them. The stats that do show real world "usage" numbers, overwhelming show that the iPad is still way out ahead of any competitor.

The iPod maintained its marketshare because Apple entered the market at the perfect time, while MP3's were still relatively unknown to consumers. As the iPod became more and more popular, the appeal of digital music grew in consumer's minds. Out of this came the generic term for a digital music player... Everyone asked for an iPod. By the time other high profile names got in the game, the iPod and iTunes were so wildly popular there wasn't much room for anyone else. So not many bothered. Not to mention the only "open" system, Microsoft's "Plays For Sure" was a complete mess compared to iPod+iTunes. After that everyone tried to open their proprietary stores+device combinations. They all failed.

• Reply 30 of 104

I'm definitely pro-Apple but you guys are wrong about a few things.

1) The article pits manufacturer's tablet lineup against manufacturer's tablet lineup... which is fair. Not iPad vs all Androids tablets.

2) Even though only Apple reports it's sales numbers, these speculative figures won't be off by some astronomical number. The affect of wrongful analysis in the worst case shouldn't change the percentages by more than a few points.

3) "Others" is ugly, likely completely inaccurate and woefully crappy products but they're still tablets by definition.

4) Asking an article to compare market share (devices sold) by how often people use them or how limited their features are, isn't very feasible.

What all iOS market share comparison articles SHOULD do is the same as they do for cars. Comparing "luxury" models to one another. This is the only market segment Apple cares about competing in.

If an article came out and compared Apple's products to other companies in the mid-high end market (over $300 base price?) and shows Apple losing ground, that would be a completely valid point to make and one that would convince me that Apple is failing because that is where they are specifically trying to dominate.

For example, the Samsung Y launched recently with the similar specs as the iPhone 3G (4 years old?).... should that count as valid market share compared to Apple's current line-up? Yes, it should... if the base price for the device is over $300, if not then it should be compared in it's own "low end" market.

• Reply 31 of 104
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I think Apple losing market share solely due to price.  Apple had a good opportunity to remedy this problem but failed.  Apple could have price the iPad Air at $499 with 32 GB as base model.  I think Tim Cook did not fully understand the difference between iPhone and iPad.  To iPhone storage is not as important as on iPad.  The iPad could be a replacement for a PC.  For a PC, the more storage the better.  Do I need to elborate more?

• Reply 32 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    69ergoo wrote: »
    Hello Apple fans, just to let you guys know, in Samsung's home country South Korea, Apple is already a bankrupt company. That's how most of the Korean media portray Apple day in and day out. They love to diss Apple any way they can. I guess this is because Samsung is practically the whole country of South Korea, the entire economy is dependent upon Samsung which is responsible for 28% of the nation's exports. it's pretty pathetic the entire nation depends on just ONE company for its economic future. Trust me, it will be China, not Apple or Google, that will kill Samsung. The Chinese will copy whatever Samsung has done at lightning speed and dump all kinds of electronics products at rock bottom prices. That's how Samsung will be killed....by the Chinese.

Sammy does pay the govt well, unofficially of course.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple losing market share solely due to price.  Apple had a good opportunity to remedy this problem but failed.  Apple could have price the iPad Air at $499 with 32 GB as base model.  I think Tim Cook did not fully understand the difference between iPhone and iPad.  To iPhone storage is not as important as on iPad.  The iPad could be a replacement for a PC.  For a PC, the more storage the better.  Do I need to elborate more?

Those people who need more than 16GB of storage on an iPad have the option to buy 32, 64 or 128. Problem solved. It's their choice. And if that is too costly for them for whatever reason, then they have the option of not buying any iPad at all. That's also their choice. It doesn't really make a difference what they do. These new iPads will be selling like hotcakes regardless. 

And if somebody is really broke and needs at least 32GB, then they should get the iPad Mini Retina with 32 GB, for the same price as the 16 GB iPad Air.

• Reply 34 of 104

And just to add one more thought.

Having the base iPad model come with 32 GB is a terrible idea, not to mention extremely naive.

With all of the tens of millions of iPads that Apple sells, do you think that flash memory grows on trees?

Not to mention that 16 GB is more than enough for many people, so it would be a total waste to have the base model come with 32 GB, even if they were able to pull it off. I know at least a few people who have 16 GB iPads and they aren't anywhere near using up their memory space. The typical customer is not you or I, and people should think more objectively when commenting on Apple.

• Reply 35 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Since Apple is the only manufacturer to provide shipment figures how in the world can IDC know what % of the market they have?
    I think Motorola also reports sales numbers each quarter.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And just to add one more thought.

Having the base iPad model come with 32 GB is a terrible idea, not to mention extremely naive.

With all of the tens of millions of iPads that Apple sells, do you think that flash memory grows on trees?

Not to mention that 16 GB is more than enough for many people, so it would be a total waste to have the base model come with 32 GB, even if they were able to pull it off. I know at least a few people who have 16 GB iPads and they aren't anywhere near using up their memory space. The typical customer is not you or I, and people should think more objectively when commenting on Apple.

Having the base model be 32 GB is a great idea....I have 32 GB on my phone and it's barely enough! 

• Reply 37 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Having the base model be 32 GB is a great idea....I have 32 GB on my phone and it's barely enough! 

The more storage space, the better. My current iPad is 32 GB, and my next one will be more.

However, having it in the base model is a bad idea because of the reasons which I stated. 

• Reply 38 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think Motorola also reports sales numbers each quarter.

You mean Google :)
  • Reply 39 of 104

It is what it is.  If they want to give away their devices to be used as door stops, so be it.

Apple makes more profits on mobile devices than all the others combined.  Go figure.

• Reply 40 of 104
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It shouldn't have taken Apple a year to release a Retina mini.
    And now they're constrained? What is this- Alchemy?