iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    juiljuil Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Let's hear all the AAPL apologists rationalize why this is good news... Wait, now begin!

Let’s hear all the AAPL haters rationalize how those numbers make sense with this :

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/10/analyst-agrees-with-tim-cook-on-growing-imbalance-between-shipments-and-usage-measurements-in-the-tablet-world.html

• Reply 43 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Comparing iOS to Android is a reasonable exercise because market share is important and the ecosystem is the real selling point, not the hardware itself. Developers do take notice of market share as well, and even plastic junk can be a useful tool if it is running a good app. So developers could shift their focus if Apple starts losing too much market share. Both platforms surf the web and get email with equal efficiency, so it is really about the apps. I have noticed many of the big corporations are offering apps for both platforms.

The longevity of the hardware is not as much of an issue because Apple forces the newest version of iOS on the users which in many cases means that the they need to go out and buy a new device because the new OS is so computationally demanding that their older hardware gets sluggish, but no choice, you must upgrade. In some respects the lack of OS upgrades makes Android useful for longer. Once you have it configured the way you want it there is no reason to update anything unless there is a security breach, which, of course, is more likely on Android.

Comparing iPad sales to Android tablet sales is also significant. Again, it is all about the platform market share. When people make comparisons to the auto industry they usually miss the mark. Autos from any manufacturer all use the same the same tires built by different companies, the same gas stations of different companies, the same filters, batteries, oil, brake pads, air freshener, etc. So it is not at all like iOS and Android which are really the only two platforms with any credibility. The only thing they have in common is they both use the same internet, sort of like autos share the same roads. Beyond that it is all proprietary. If Apple loses too much platform market share, at a certain point they lose almost everything just like the Mac vs. Windows scenario. So it is really important to monitor the market share numbers.

With respect to Apple's reduced sales due to no new models in Q3, all that tells me, is that Apple users are more astute and aware that the new models are coming, where as the typical Android tablet buyer just buys anything that they see at Walmart without doing any research whatsoever.

• Reply 44 of 104
    mj web wrote: »
    Let's hear all the AAPL apologists rationalize why this is good news... Wait, now begin!

Well, considering q3-12 there was a 4 month old iPad, with virtually no one expecting a refresh anytime soon, combined with that "surprise" iPad 4 being nearly a year old this year, with everyone expecting a refresh? That may have a tad bit to do with it.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Hey, Huawei just bought themselves a soccer team sponsorship.

AC Milan.

Looks like eating into Samsung is paying off.

• Reply 46 of 104
    Again, we already know Samsuck counts shipped to sell, NOT SOLD!
  • Reply 47 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It shouldn't have taken Apple a year to release a Retina mini.

And now they're constrained? What is this- Alchemy?

Oh really, it shouldn't? It's good to know you have all the engineering, technical, computational, and marketing data on hand related tothe development, production, and sales of a Retina iPad mini, in order to come to that conclusion. Oh wait, you don't have a shred of that data, and just pulled that statement out of your ass with complete ignorance. 

Oh, and yeah, I'm sure randomly releasing a Retina iPad mini a few months after the non-Retina one would have had a great reception from consumers with the mini being "obsoleted" so quickly, and with Apple completely fucking up their release schedule and consumer confidence in buying an Apple product.  But hey, you know best. 

• Reply 48 of 104
    This isn't that meaningful when most of the "others" comprise of low-cost $100 Android tablets in developing Asian countries. These price-sensitive consumers would never buy apps nor use tablets to meaningful extents (you can't...they are mostly slow and laggy, with poor touch sensivities). They aren't the customer base that Apple (or even Samsung) would want to capture.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those people who need more than 16GB of storage on an iPad have the option to buy 32, 64 or 128. Problem solved. It's their choice. And if that is too costly for them for whatever reason, then they have the option of not buying any iPad at all. That's also their choice. It doesn't really make a difference what they do. These new iPads will be selling like hotcakes regardless. 

And if somebody is really broke and needs at least 32GB, then they should get the iPad Mini Retina with 32 GB, for the same price as the 16 GB iPad Air.

I think Apple should set the iPad Air base model at 32GB for $499 and the iPad 2 at 16GB for $399.  This will make the iPad  Air, iPad 2,iPad mini 2 and iPad mini all difficult to choose for a lot of people. 

• Reply 50 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstone wrote: »
    Comparing iOS to Android is a reasonable exercise because market share is important and the ecosystem is the real selling point, not the hardware itself. Developers do take notice of market share as well, and even plastic junk can be a useful tool if it is running a good app. So developers could shift their focus if Apple starts losing too much market share. Both platforms surf the web and get email with equal efficiency, so it is really about the apps. I have noticed many of the big corporations are offering apps for both platforms.

The longevity of the hardware is not as much of an issue because Apple forces the newest version of iOS on the users which in many cases means that the they need to go out and buy a new device because the new OS is so computationally demanding that their older hardware gets sluggish, but no choice, you must upgrade. In some respects the lack of OS upgrades makes Android useful for longer. Once you have it configured the way you want it there is no reason to update anything unless there is a security breach, which, of course, is more likely on Android.

Comparing iPad sales to Android tablet sales is also significant. Again, it is all about the platform market share. When people make comparisons to the auto industry they usually miss the mark. Autos from any manufacturer all use the same the same tires built by different companies, the same gas stations of different companies, the same filters, batteries, oil, brake pads, air freshener, etc. So it is not at all like iOS and Android which are really the only two platforms with any credibility. The only thing they have in common is they both use the same internet, sort of like autos share the same roads. Beyond that it is all proprietary. If Apple loses too much platform market share, at a certain point they lose almost everything just like the Mac vs. Windows scenario. So it is really important to monitor the market share numbers.

With respect to Apple's reduced sales due to no new models in Q3, all that tells me, is that Apple users are more astute and aware that the new models are coming, where as the typical Android tablet buyer just buys anything that they see at Walmart without doing any research whatsoever.

1. Usage share is more important to Devs. Also fragmentation is important too. Apps developed for say the GS4 won't run properly on crappy Android devices. Devs aren't going to worry about that segment. They arent going to still develop for Android 2.x. So that's half the Android market.

Apple doesn't force you to upgrade.
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I think Apple should set the iPad Air base model at 32GB for $499 and the iPad 2 at 16GB for $399.  This will make the iPad  Air, iPad 2,iPad mini 2 and iPad mini all difficult to choose for a lot of people. 

Or Apple can keep it the same and still provide customers a hard choice.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. Usage share is more important to Devs. Also fragmentation is important too. Apps developed for say the GS4 won't run properly on crappy Android devices. Devs aren't going to worry about that segment. They arent going to still develop for Android 2.x. So that's half the Android market.

Apple doesn't force you to upgrade.

denial is the first step of grief. 

• Reply 52 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Most of the Google and Samsung tables are showing up on Woot at discount, they can not sell them so they dump them on Woot

• Reply 53 of 104
    mstone wrote: »
    Take your own advice.

Please explain these FACTS to me so we can understand them better:

- Why the iPad has the highest Internet usage beating all other tablets combined by a wide margin.
    - Why developers favor iOS over Android despite the lower market share.
    - Why Apple still has more than double the revenue in the App Store with lower market share.
    - Why iTunes generates 6X the revenue of Google Play for digital content ( like music) with lower market share.

Market share is useless if it doesn't generate revenue. Without revenue nobody pays attention to your device/platform.

jungmark is dead on. Your little essay about market share mattering to developers is complete BS. And you actually have the nerve to accuse someone who is 100% correct that they're in denial. Pathetic.
  • Reply 54 of 104

Shut up.

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

- Why the iPad has the highest Internet usage beating all other tablets combined by a wide margin.

- Why Apple still has more than double the revenue in the App Store with lower market share.

- Why iTunes generates 6X the revenue of Google Play for digital content ( like music) with lower market share.

But but but but but but but but 500,000,000 activated per day!

• Reply 55 of 104

So, market share is one word now? I've got to do a better job keeping up with this stuff. First colorway, now marketshare...

• Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Take your own advice.

Please explain these FACTS to me so we can understand them better:

Market share is useless if it doesn't generate revenue. Without revenue nobody pays attention to your device/platform.

jungmark is dead on. Your little essay about market share mattering to developers is complete BS. And you actually have the nerve to accuse someone who is 100% correct that they're in denial. Pathetic.

Only time will tell. Personally I'm all Apple but I am also a realist.

I've tried for years to keep crab grass out of my yard but my neighbors don't share the same dedication, hence, crab grass is increasingly cross contaminating and invading my yard to point that I am thinking of giving up the fight and just accepting the fact that crab grass is able to proliferate more readily than my luxurious tall Fescue which I planted. A complacency in that Apple is the dominate platform in tablets and will remain so forever could  potentially lead to the unexpected reversal in only a few years. If they do not move forward full speed ahead on all engines, Android could overtake their current supremacy. Apple knows this, You apparently do not.

• Reply 57 of 104
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Most of the Google and Samsung tables are showing up on Woot at discount, they can not sell them so they dump them on Woot

At Woot, refurbished Google Next 10 32GB tablet sold out at $329.  This proves my point larger memory is desirable for tablet buyers. 

• Reply 58 of 104
    I'll never understand why Apple friendly sites such as AppleInsider accept so uncritically the estimates of analytic firms such as IDC who use proprietary methods for undisclosed clients, with no accountability or possibility of checking retrospectively, since Samsung et al. announce officially their unit sales figures. IDC had absolutely no legal need to be accurate. They never publish margin of error figures. In short they could simply be making up "world-wide" data no one could ever prove it without a whistle blower.

I am writing this from South Korea, the home country of Samsung, and iPads appear to to be at least half the tablets. Similarly I travel frequently to China and see moldy ipads. So, where exactly are those hordes of alternative tablets? I personally believe IDC is very, very far from the truth and marvel at the instant credibility they are granted. Could their best client just possibly be a corporate rival of Apple?
  • Reply 59 of 104
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taosbob View Post

I'll never understand why Apple friendly sites such as AppleInsider accept so uncritically the estimates of analytic firms such as IDC who use proprietary methods for undisclosed clients, 

The answer is simple: hit-whoring. 

Contrary to popular belief, Apple leaks a lot less than it used to. In the good old days, AppleInsider had access to juicy, hard-to-get snippets of information that were surprisingly accurate. Over the past few years, Apple has become ever more secretive, and until a product actually hits manufacturing, pundits have no clue (seriously, no clue at all) about what Apple is up to and what it plans to do in the next couple of years.

With no insider track on Apple rumours, AppleInsider has been forced to immerse itself in the unsavoury practice of hit-whoring in order to start forum bun-fights for ad revenue. AI will print anything (have you noticed how an increasing number of articles here have nothing to do with Apple, unless you count the sad, lonely paragraph at the bottom which says something like 'The new Google headquarters, like Apple's new HQ, boasts indoor toilets.'), as long as it generates ad dollars. Unfortunately, this is the reality of online blogging. (I don't call it journalism.)

• Reply 60 of 104
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    In my country there are tablets given away for 120 € 100 € or even 79,99 € if you buy two or three at once. If you buy a samsung smart TV (2000 € for one of the pricier) you will get 2 samsung galaxy Tab 7 (1-st gen) for 1 €. There are thousands of deals like this and not only from samsung, Douzands of Chinese brands and one pretty popular- Prestigo.

The situation is horrible... I once even read an ad for "Perfect slate for students" in newspapers, that tablet got 9" 480 by 800 screen, processor that wasn't capable to play angry birds, and GPU that wasn't able to push angry birds "complex" graphics through that resolution. It's got "g" wifi, no cellular support and 4 GB of memory (only 1GB free SD cards necessary) and 384 MB of RAM. It was over 12 mm thick, weights almost 600 g and it's got just 3000 mAh battery that lasted about 2,5 hours at max brightness (which was still very very dimm-y) and it runned android 3.0 (!!!!). For a price of 120€ it sold like hot cakes. My friend bought it, he used it for about 5 months before it died, only to buy another one for 95€

So this is situation in rest of the world, but android shit-lates are the last thing I care for. I just want a Retina Mini in my country before Christmas !!!