iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    djkikrome wrote: »
    Again, we already know Samsuck counts shipped to sell, NOT SOLD!

We all know that Apple does that too.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If you look at the numbers IDC reported Apple tablet shipments didn't really grow at all in even absolute terms. Shipments supposedly were flat YOY for all intents, from 14M last year to 14.1M this year.

Yes. But as they said in their conference call this was in part due to the play down of channel because sell through was 16M. We can't have it both ways though - criticise Samsung for stuffing channel and use whatever metric is useful for Apple.

I would have thought the mini would have had a far greater effect on the market than just ticking over. Pity.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    jungmark wrote: »
    There a difference though. Apple isn't losing market share by the products sold/shipped declining. It's just not growing as fast as the overall market (shipment wise).

That's a blackberry excuse. Seriously. I was on blackberry forums (as I have one at work) when Apple passed BB in market share. But blackberrys unit share was growing. That didn't matter they said. It did.

I don't expect free fall for Apple but I can see them going back to a niche. Which isn't what Steve Jobs wanted when he said "going thermonuclear" on android. ( and not just in litigation).

Cook is an annoying bean counter. It is specifically because he is treating Apple like a non growth company - ie giving dividends - that the market treats apple as having no future growth. Unlike Amazon. If he took a hit on margins, shipped the damned TV already, stopped whispering about wearables and did something the stock would accelerate on revenue growth regardless of margin.

Instead it's timid nicely nicely claptrap.
  • Reply 84 of 104

I was considering getting my 4 year old an iPad mini for Christmas.  He's currently using my re-purposed iPad 1, which is a bit unwieldy for him.   I was hesitant to spend $339 on the iPad mini, and now Apple has increased the price to $400.   Screw that!  They'll probably sell as well as the overpriced iPhone 5C.     I can get a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD for about 1/2 the price of an iPad mini!  And both of these tablets let you create a separate profile for your children, and both also incorporate parental controls.   And don't tell me this nonsense they are "crap".   Android has matured nicely, and the hardware is very good as well.   This Christmas I plan on buying an Android tablet, and put the $200 I save into my kids college fund! 

I have a LOT of Apple hardware.  But since Steve Jobs died, they are loosing me little by little, one screw-up at a time.

• Reply 85 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    asdasd wrote: »
    That's a blackberry excuse. Seriously. I was on blackberry forums (as I have one at work) when Apple passed BB in market share. But blackberrys unit share was growing. That didn't matter they said. It did.

I don't expect free fall for Apple but I can see them going back to a niche. Which isn't what Steve Jobs wanted when he said "going thermonuclear" on android. ( and not just in litigation).

Cook is an annoying bean counter. It is specifically because he is treating Apple like a non growth company - ie giving dividends - that the market treats apple as having no future growth. Unlike Amazon. If he took a hit on margins, shipped the damned TV already, stopped whispering about wearables and did something the stock would accelerate on revenue growth regardless of margin.

Instead it's timid nicely nicely claptrap.

The difference is a single company (Apple) passed Blackberry at the high end of the market.

In the tablet space no single company has passed Apple in the high-end market. You can have the cheap-ass junk market.

That niche market turned out horrible for Apple with the Mac. Oh wait, 43% profit share; 90% of the >$1000 PC market. Dell going private, HP looking to get out entirely. Yup, it sucks for Apple.

Oh you know what Jobs meant now? Going Thermonuclear is trying to stop Android and its ilk stealing Apple's inventions. There was no way a single company can out sell dozens, if not hundreds of competitors.

I won't even comment on the stupid statement on Cook. But I will say what multi billion dollar corporation have you run recently?
  • Reply 86 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

I have a LOT of Apple hardware.  But since Steve Jobs died, they are loosing me little by little, one screw-up at a time.

Pepto-Bismol will help with that.

• Reply 87 of 104
    rayz wrote: »
    The answer is simple: hit-whoring. 

Contrary to popular belief, Apple leaks a lot less than it used to. In the good old days, AppleInsider had access to juicy, hard-to-get snippets of information that were surprisingly accurate. Over the past few years, Apple has become ever more secretive, and until a product actually hits manufacturing, pundits have no clue (seriously, no clue at all) about what Apple is up to and what it plans to do in the next couple of years.
    With no insider track on Apple rumours, AppleInsider has been forced to immerse itself in the unsavoury practice of hit-whoring in order to start forum bun-fights for ad revenue. AI will print anything (have you noticed how an increasing number of articles here have nothing to do with Apple, unless you count the sad, lonely paragraph at the bottom which says something like 'The new Google headquarters, like Apple's new HQ, boasts indoor toilets.'), as long as it generates ad dollars. Unfortunately, this is the reality of online blogging. (I don't call it journalism.)

I am astonished this site was able to get a press pass to Apple events.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    zbernie wrote: »

A common sentiment among concern trolls who use the misspelling "loosing" in their posts.
  • Reply 89 of 104

I was hesitant to spend $339 on the iPad mini, and now Apple has increased the price to $400.   Screw that! 

Apple has reduced the price to $299.

They'll probably sell as well as the overpriced iPhone 5C.

So, “incredibly”, then. “Incredibly well”.

I can get a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD for about 1/2 the price of an iPad mini!

I can buy McDonald’s for about 1/2 the price of real food.

This Christmas I plan on buying an Android tablet, and put the $200 I save into my kids college fund! 

Shut up and go away. Shut up and go away. Shut up and go away. 

• Reply 90 of 104
    jungmark wrote: »
    The difference is a single company (Apple) passed Blackberry at the high end of the market.

In the tablet space no single company has passed Apple in the high-end market. You can have the cheap-ass junk market.

That niche market turned out horrible for Apple with the Mac. Oh wait, 43% profit share; 90% of the >$1000 PC market. Dell going private, HP looking to get out entirely. Yup, it sucks for Apple.

Oh you know what Jobs meant now? Going Thermonuclear is trying to stop Android and its ilk stealing Apple's inventions. There was no way a single company can out sell dozens, if not hundreds of competitors.

I won't even comment on the stupid statement on Cook. But I will say what multi billion dollar corporation have you run recently?

1) the niche market almost killed the mac. The company barely survived until Steve came back.
    2) going thermonuclear would now mean trying to win market share since the litigation didn't work. And a single company can dominate - Apple in iPods, Nokia in phones, blackberry in phones in the US, windows in OSes, google in search.
    3) I haven't run any multi billion company yet. I reserve the right to criticise Ballmer, Elop and Cook. I haven't managed a top football team and I reserve the right to criticise David Moyes. I never have managed a NFL team and if I knew anything about it I would have to right to criticise the manager of an NFL team which is doing badly. That "argument " isn't even an argument and only applies to Cook and no one else. Drop it.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

One has to ask, though, how big is the high end market. Can Apple grow its tablet business much beyond the current rate?

It has to be remembered that the tablets from other manufacturers aren't all "cheap-ass" junk. There are a few of them that are perfectly acceptable for the task at hand and aren't thrown into the back of the closet. Knowing that, it begs the question, 'How much is this impacting Apple's tablet business?'. 

The holiday quarter won't cut it for showing growth, imo. I want to see fiscal 2014 sales next year at this time.

• Reply 92 of 104
    One has to ask, though, how big is the high end market. Can Apple grow its tablet business much beyond the current rate?

It has to be remembered that the tablets from other manufacturers aren't all "cheap-ass" junk. There are a few of them that are perfectly acceptable for the task at hand and aren't thrown into the back of the closet. Knowing that, it begs the question, 'How much is this impacting Apple's tablet business?'. 

The holiday quarter won't cut it for showing growth, imo. I want to see fiscal 2014 sales next year at this time.

Careful! You're sounding reasonable.

;)
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Careful! You're sounding reasonable.

Whoops! Thanks for catching that.

Tim Cook doesn't have the skills to run a lemonade stand!!

• Reply 94 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    asdasd wrote: »
    1) the niche market almost killed the mac. The company barely survived until Steve came back.
    2) going thermonuclear would now mean trying to win market share since the litigation didn't work. And a single company can dominate - Apple in iPods, Nokia in phones, blackberry in phones in the US, windows in OSes, google in search.
    3) I haven't run any multi billion company yet. I reserve the right to criticise Ballmer, Elop and Cook. I haven't managed a top football team and I reserve the right to criticise David Moyes. I never have managed a NFL team and if I knew anything about it I would have to right to criticise the manager of an NFL team which is doing badly. That "argument " isn't even an argument and only applies to Cook and no one else. Drop it.

1. Mac Clones and a confusing product line almost killed the Mac.
    2. It's windows vs Mac and Linux. Hardly dozens of OSes. Same with Google vs yahoo/bing. The iPod was/is an exception.
    3. Jobs is dead now. There is no way to know if he would have said the same thing now. But back then, it was litigation.
    4. Why would he cut margins for the sake of market share? The TV set will be release when ready and not before then. I still don't think a set is likely though. As for Cook being a bean counter , you obviously don't know anything about him or his role at Apple for the last 15 years.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. Mac Clones and a confusing product line almost killed the Mac.

2. It's windows vs Mac and Linux. Hardly dozens of OSes. Same with Google vs yahoo/bing. The iPod was/is an exception.

3. Jobs is dead now. There is no way to know if he would have said the same thing now. But back then, it was litigation.

4. Why would he cut margins for the sake of market share? The TV set will be release when ready and not before then. I still don't think a set is likely though. As for Cook being a bean counter , you obviously don't know anything about him or his role at Apple for the last 15 years.

When Jobs launched iPad in 2010 it was a big surprise to the PC industry.  It is so well designed and manufactured and aggressively priced that the PC companies can not match for over three years.  This is why iPad market share dominated until 2012.  But the copycats have set up manufacturing and copied the iPad design.  It is a big mistake for Apple not to change its pricing strategy now. Because a lot of advantages of iPads have been copied to the competitors over the last four years. 

• Reply 96 of 104

I may have misspelled losing, but at least I'm not drunk on apple juice.

• Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

"iPad's marketshare drops 11% in Q3 on lack of new models, Android posts significant gains"

I'll never fucking understand the utterly false analogy of directly comparing "iPad" or "iPhone" with "Android" as if they're competing products. It's so sad than even this site engages in this analogy for clicks. "iPad" is a single line of tablets, made by a single company, updated a single time a year. "Android" is a damn OS, that is installed on THOUSANDS of tablets, on HUNDREDS of product lines, by DOZENS of companies, that release multiple tablets per year. So, why the **** is this a fair comparison? COmparing a single product with the combined marketshare of almost every SINGLE other competing product in the world? SO we can use the word "drops" in the headline?

iPad is by far the best selling tablet in the world. The only way to attempt to put a negative spin on things is if you use false analogies such as this, as if "Android" is some product, or some entity. "Android" or Google even, is not benefitting by these truckloads of cheap chinese tablets taht run the OS. The comparison is utterly meaningless. Stop with these Apples to Oranges comparison. Android, a free OS, cannot be compared with iPad, a tablet.  Why not actually compare the iPad line against any other tablet line? Oh yeah, cause it would be an absolute slaughter, so we have to combine ALL other tablet lines on the planet then use THAT for comparison, as if that means anything anymore. The tablet market is still growing, and being flooded with cheap models, so  decrease in marketshare is expected. I'm dissapointed in Appleinsider for engaging in this click-bait, idiotic comparisons.

The report is comparing every tablet running Android to every tablet that is running IOS.  Does that make you feel better?  This is not good news for Apple and trying to put some stupid spin on this doesn't help.  IOS tablets are competing against Android and Windows RT/8 tablets and to pretend otherwise is totally disingenuous.  What do you want them to do, compare iPad sales to the sales of eggs in Latvia?

As for 'cheap Chinese' tablets, please explain?  You do realise that iPads are manufactured in Shenzhen, so I'm to assume that you don't mean the country of manufacture?  Samsung is Korean, Asus is Taiwanese as is Acer.  Only Lenovo on this list is Chinese.  Notice that other than Apple, the lowest growth is the "other" category that would include all the cheap Chinese tablets, so this IS NOT the problem.  The problem is Samsung, Google/Asus, Lenovo etc.

As for this article, what was AI supposed to do, ignore it?

• Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

The report is comparing every tablet running Android to every tablet that is running IOS.  Does that make you feel better?  This is not good news for Apple and trying to put some stupid spin on this doesn't help.  IOS tablets are competing against Android and Windows RT/8 tablets and to pretend otherwise is totally disingenuous.  What do you want them to do, compare iPad sales to the sales of eggs in Latvia?

As for 'cheap Chinese' tablets, please explain?  You do realise that iPads are manufactured in Shenzhen, so I'm to assume that you don't mean the country of manufacture?  Samsung is Korean, Asus is Taiwanese as is Acer.  Only Lenovo on this list is Chinese.  Notice that other than Apple, the lowest growth is the "other" category that would include all the cheap Chinese tablets, so this IS NOT the problem.  The problem is Samsung, Google/Asus, Lenovo etc.

As for this article, what was AI supposed to do, ignore it?

While I don't think AI or anyone interested in Apple should ignore whatever information is available, I do take issue with lumping all Android tablets together in relation to Apple because:

1) Those OEMs aren't pooling together their Android revenue so what's the point in pooling together all of their sales?  Look at smartphones.  People pool together Android in that space but it does HTC, LG, Motorola, etc. no good as they continue to be unprofitable (sometimes barely profitable which then is seen as some kind of victory).  Look at tradition personal computing.  People try to lump all Windows machines together but it didn't keep Dell from needing to go private or HP from wanting to abandon the PC market altogether.

2) Not all of these Android tablets are running the same version of the OS which means that not all apps will work on all tablets.  Whoopty doo that all Android tablets are more than iOS tablets if 25% or more are running old versions of the OS.

If the meme is Apple is "losing" the tablet game then people need to come up with something better than marketshare numbers (see smartphones) and start talking about usage data and revenue since the whole point of this enterprise for these companies is to make money.  

PS:  If Android tablets were "winning" so dang much then why isn't there a decent peripheral market for them?  If you go to Walmart looking for a cover or anything extra for your Android tablet, good luck with that because the pickings are slim to none.

• Reply 99 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

...a niche. Which isn't what Steve Jobs wanted...

Yes it is, Jobs said at the introduction of the iPhone 1-2% market share was what they were aiming for, Ballmer just laughed.

Enough of your claptrap, already

• Reply 100 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

...loosing me little by little...

It's LOSING, L-O-S-I-N-G, use a freaking dictionary or get whoever writes up what to post on the whiteboard you probably copy as part of your job to buy a dictionary.

I feel like loosing the hounds on your sorry, astroturfing *ss.