J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    Count up the white dots vs. the orange and see who won. I also like How Samsung got 5 out of 5 for overall satisfaction, yet, overall, it didn't score a 5/5 on any category. Talk about BS.
  • Reply 42 of 219
    Did they test the iPad Air? No? Meaningless.

How could they? Their scores are based on customer surveys, aren't they?
  • Reply 43 of 219
    I have never used JD Power to influence my buying of cars. Good thing, given that they can't add their own scores correctly. I might have ended up with a Pontiac Aztek. Sure it was utterly hideous, but you sure could get them cheap.
  • Reply 44 of 219
    4.6 > 5.4

MATH!
  • Reply 45 of 219
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    If samsung is 3.4 3.4 4.4 4.4 5.4 = 21 points / 5 = 4.2

and apple is 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5 1.5 = 19.5 points / 5 = 3.9

using rounding for the stars this scenario (most extreme one) is possible
  • Reply 46 of 219
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

First Tim Cook talks about Market Share stats, then units sold, then web surfing stats, then JD Powers sat scores, now what can he talk about? Samsung has conquered them all. 

Apple used to push innovation, bring out new technology rapidly, make big improvements in software quickly and constantly cut prices. 

The Apple we´re seeing now is holding back tech (TouchID, 802.11AC), they are making small improvements in hardware, not coming out with new categories, and almost never cutting prices like before, in fact they seem to increase them. 

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. Otherwise, it will rot from the inside out over time.

• Reply 47 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How could they? Their scores are based on customer surveys, aren't they?

If this was based only on volunteered customer surveys... the survey says a lot more about Samsung users than anything. "sure this is a piece of crap, but it was really cheap piece of crap... Thank you Mr. Samsung. A+ ". But it also shows math isn't being taught in schools anymore.

• Reply 48 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess JDP has to redo their car rankings. No way BMW or Mercedes will get high marks for cost.

In addition, did they survey consumers that actually bought the device?
  • Reply 49 of 219
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Huh.  Must be weighted with cost being the biggest factor.  So with that, would a free turd rank best?

Damn funny.

• Reply 50 of 219
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,105member

The world seems to think that quality and cheap should go together.  Screw them.

• Reply 51 of 219

wait.

I just made a brick here that I am giving out for free.

it gets infinite stars on price so I guess it is better than the rest then...

• Reply 52 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hydr wrote: »
    First Tim Cook talks about Market Share stats, then units sold, then web surfing stats, then JD Powers sat scores, now what can he talk about? Samsung has conquered them all. 

Apple used to push innovation, bring out new technology rapidly, make big improvements in software quickly and constantly cut prices. 
    The Apple we´re seeing now is holding back tech (TouchID, 802.11AC), they are making small improvements in hardware, not coming out with new categories, and almost never cutting prices like before, in fact they seem to increase them. 

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. Otherwise, it will rot from the inside out over time.

I know. It's like it's been 3-4 yrs since the iPad was announced. I remember Jobs creating 7 new product categories in a week.
  • Reply 53 of 219
    Just using averages alone should land Apple on top.

Five categories, five points each. Apple scored 22 out of 25. Samsung scored 18 out of 25.

How is Samsung getting the award? Based on price?? Oh, I see, the PRICE they must have paid for this %u201Cpaid PR%u201D chart released by J. D. Panders, er, Powers.
  • Reply 54 of 219
    Originally Posted by hydr View Post

There is still hope, but it will require Tim Cook to focus more on value to customer than profit to Wall Street. 

Explain where, in the last TEN YEARS of Tim Cook being at Apple, he has done this.

We’ll wait.

• Reply 55 of 219
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

How can Samsung have 5 when every detail metrics are below 5?

• Reply 56 of 219
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

JDP seems to think cost = price.

Once again we need to re-educate people about the difference between purchase price and cost.

True cost.

I.e., cost of ownership.

customers don't think like that. They do think cost=price

but still. come someone explain this math to me. Exactly how can Apple get 5 points on all but one area and get second place. I am just not seeing the math here

• Reply 57 of 219
    i count more dots on apple than samsung looks like apples a winner 24 dots to 27 (nut said)
  • Reply 58 of 219
    That is ok. No one really believes JD Power - they are paid to promote products.
  • Reply 59 of 219
    jungmark wrote: »
    I know. It's like it's been 3-4 yrs since the iPad was announced. I remember Jobs creating 7 new product categories in a week.

Every week! He made Chuck Norris look like Tinkerbell!

Since Steve passed, that slacker Tim Cook has only managed to reduce the size of the iPad by 20%, the weight by 30%, while doubling the resolution, quadrupling the cpu power and gpu power multiple times over, while selling another 100 million of the devices in the process.

Yep. Epic fail, there, Tim… epic fail…

/s in case anyone missed that in the delivery.
  • Reply 60 of 219
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/919201690/2013-Tablet+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

The 2013 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study--Volume 2 is based on experiences evaluated by 3,375 tablet owners who have owned their current device for less than one year. The study was fielded between March and August 2013. The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%).

Based on this criteria.. yea... the ranking for price might have done it... apple only lost by 2 points in total.