J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219

LOL - ya get what you pay for - "cheap" = Samsung!  

Apple iPad ROCKS - PERIOD

• Reply 62 of 219
    Where did you get a free turd?
    Can I get one?
  • Reply 63 of 219
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

At least we now know where some of Samsung's marketing dollars were spent. 

• Reply 64 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

The study was fielded between March and August 2013.

So this was a study done in 2013 of tablets sold in 2012.

• Reply 65 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Here's another question: how did they ask the question on price?
  • Reply 66 of 219
    herbapou wrote: »
    How can Samsung have 5 when every detail metrics are below 5?

Voodoo and flawgic.

I went to the JDP website and they don't explain the math. Then I saw this clause:

*Please note that JDPower.com ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards.
  • Reply 67 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Voodoo and flawgic.

I went to the JDP website and they don't explain the math. Then I saw this clause:

*Please note that JDPower.com ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards.

I suppose one of the questions is Android compatibility. iPad fails at this: 0 stars.
  • Reply 68 of 219
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I suppose one of the questions is Android compatibility. iPad fails at this: 0 stars.

OH HO, YOU’VE SPOKEN TOO SOON!

• Reply 69 of 219

The little bubbles are misleading.  The iPad scored 0.2% less than Samsung tablets, which is effectively equal, yet has 4 overall bubbles compared to Samsung's 5.  I am guessing the price was significantly better for Samsung.  Kindle scored 1% less which in my book is effectively equal too.  Heck, the Study Average score is only 1.7% less than the top score.  So the take away is.  Eh, people like their tablets all about the same and a couple people quizzed here and there would change it all around.

• Reply 70 of 219
    Screw JD P&A. They are a well padded organization.
  • Reply 71 of 219
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is true. For most users the cost is the most important issue. Apple could easily change the impression by setting the 32 GB version as the base model. One advantage is it is not easy for Samsung to match without raising its price.

I can elaborate why I think the iPad is overpriced. Say, if you needs larger memory. If you go to the 32 GB model, you will pay $100 more for $599. You paid $100 for only an addition of 16 GB for a tablet its 16 GB version is already being considered expensive by a lot of people. A 32 GB model will give it a premier impression.
  • Reply 72 of 219
    Yes, Walt Mossberg says it is the best tablet he has ever tested and, if you can afford it, hands down get one.

And so we shall, dudes, and so we shall.
  • Reply 73 of 219
    jusephe wrote: »
    So customers are more satisfied with an 199 $ SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7" than an 399 $ iPad mini with retina display ?
    Only because of price ?
    REALLY ???

If that is true Apple wouldn't survive every super cheap bloat from competition (ultra cheap iPod clones, netbooks, and now cheap 199$ tablets) and still they are there.

Uhhh... AFAICT, Apple hasn't shipped any iPad Airs or Retina iPad Minis yet... so they cannot be included in the ratings.

Which gives rise to the questions: When was the study conducted? What dates of tablet availability are included in the study? What particular tablet devices are included in the study?

I suspect that if a study were made between tomorrow and December 31, that the results would be dramatically different.

This is no slam against J.D. Powers or Sammy (for that matter) -- but product release cycles (for all competitors) can have a significant effect on ratings for a study like this.
  • Reply 74 of 219
    I'm surprised JD Power would rate tablets. It seems like it should have been a clue when they couldn't find the tailpipe. They should stick with cars, although I'm not sure how much credence they deserve after this ranking.
  • Reply 75 of 219
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is psychotic. The price was never an issue before. How can they possibly justify this?

Five. Five. Five. Five. Five. Two.

Where’s the chart for last time?

And taking it one step further.

At the same time, the firm maintains that its study "measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance):

performance (26%)

ease of operation (22%)

styling and design (19%)

features (17%)

cost (16%)

• Reply 76 of 219
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    J.D. Power and Associates, sponsored by Samsung.

A Chevy Spark v Mercedes CLA show down would be a walk over for Chevy. Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck will wipe out the high end wine industry ... Oh J.D. Power and Associates have really started a new trend here!
  • Reply 77 of 219
    Lets try value for you money in future can we

How many tablets sit around and gather dust because they are useless. I bet no iPad suffers that fate
  • Reply 78 of 219
    mudman2 wrote: »
    Lets try value for you money in future can we

How many tablets sit around and gather dust because they are useless. I bet no iPad suffers that fate

Oh come on, don't bring common sense into this!
  • Reply 79 of 219
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

• Reply 80 of 219
    frood wrote: »
    For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

This reminds me of 'Consumer Reports' ... they are total rubbish most of the time.