J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/919201690/2013-Tablet+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

The 2013 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study--Volume 2 is based on experiences evaluated by 3,375 tablet owners who have owned their current device for less than one year. The study was fielded between March and August 2013. The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%).

Based on this criteria.. yea... the ranking for price might have done it... apple only lost by 2 points in total.

Based on that criteria there's no way Apple should have lost considering cost was the least weighted aspect

• Reply 82 of 219
    If JD Powers ever decides to explain how its published scoring somehow made Samsung the winner instead of Apple, I would be interested in reading the explanation.

As others have pointed out, Samsung scored 3.62 while Apple scored 4.52. IF JD Powers had scored Samsung with a 5 for cost and Apple a 0 then Samsung would have won by 1 point, but this is not what happened.

A crazy question is why do companies go out of their way to promote Samsung as better or equal to Apple when their own published reports state otherwise? And why do it immediately preceding a new Apple product?

In closing for now, the NYT article about Apple's planned obsolescence hatchet job should be rewritten to replace every Apple reference with Google since Google announced today it's own Nexus tablet will not get Android 4.4 for being too old of a device.

The author's iPhone 4, a three years old device, can run iOS 7 without all features is slammed as planned obsolescence while a 1.5 years old tablet device will not be supported at all. Which company is purposely implementing planned obsolescence? I doubt the NYT will authorize such a story until Google becomes the hatchet job target.
  • Reply 83 of 219
    Not surpised. Apple has been resting on their laurels
  • Reply 84 of 219
    If 90% of tablets are iPads doesn't that make their price the industry average.
  • Reply 85 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

Wow, I just lost all respect for their awards. What if they judged cars this way?

They do judge cars this way.  Remember a few years ago when GM was making fall apart/throw away cars (I suspect that they will get back to that soon...as soon as their fear wears off again)?  JD Power was rating GM models just below Toyota and Honda.  Rating agencies are businesses that have to make a profit in order to continue doing business.  No wonder their results can be skewed in any direction that seems profitable for them.  Kind of like analysts.  Neither on ever has to pay a price for incorrect advice.

• Reply 86 of 219

By this logic, I should get my cat food directly from China instead of USA due to price.

Does anyone remember CES 2010, when everyone was trying to preempt the iPad with a $1K Slate PCs with styluses and heave Intel based components?

Even the rumors said the iPad was going to be $1K.

It was $500 and the only way imitators could compete was with a smaller sized tablet with phone OSes?

(Love that Win 7 bar at the bottom.)

• Reply 87 of 219
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jusephe wrote: »
    So customers are more satisfied with an 199 $ SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 7" than an 399 $ iPad mini with retina display ?
    Only because of price ?
    REALLY ???

If that is true Apple wouldn't survive every super cheap bloat from competition (ultra cheap iPod clones, netbooks, and now cheap 199$ tablets) and still they are there.

I don't think too many people own a iPad mini with retina just yet.
  • Reply 88 of 219
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Going by the survey's own weighting, as JD has explicitly stated, we get the following:

Can someone please explain, mathematically, how Samsung could have come out on top, in any way whatsoever?

• Reply 89 of 219
    I could care less what JD Power has to say. I'm sticking with iPads. Tired of junky Samsuck products.
  • Reply 90 of 219
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmia View Post

so a hyundai is better than a BMW/Porsche becouse is cheaper? thats rediculos

And makes a dollar burger from McDonald's more "satisfying" than prime rib...

I'm lovin' it......  /s

• Reply 91 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Yeah, the iPad Air, which has been getting the most positive reviews I've literally ever read for any Apple product, ever, being the best performing, best battery life, best build quality, thinnest, and lightest tablet of that class with no perceivable shortcomings, is evidence that Apple is "resting on their laurels".

Also, completely redesigning pretty much their entire hardware lineup during the past 2 years, their mobile OS, as well as all their major software. is more evidence of them "resting". 

Love how all the trolls have come out with this rigged survey. 

• Reply 92 of 219
    hydr wrote: »
    Apple used to push innovation, bring out new technology rapidly, make big improvements in software quickly and constantly cut prices. 
    The Apple we´re seeing now is holding back tech (TouchID, 802.11AC), they are making small improvements in hardware, not coming out with new categories, and almost never cutting prices like before, in fact they seem to increase them. 

The way Apple traditionally has "quickly an constantly cut prices" is by offering a new product with better user experience (advanced capabilities) for the same price as the existing model.

For the new iPads, Apple has added 64-bit A7 APU, M7 co-processor, increased cell radio bands, increased battery and a retina display for the new iPad Mini (at an increase in price).

2001 iPod
    2007 iPhone
    2008 MacBook Air
    2010 iPad
    2013 Mac Pro

What other tech company has created any [successful] "new categories" in that timeframe.

Now, I do think that if you do a little research, you will discover that Apple has been laying the groundwork -- and that you can predict that Apple will be poised to announce some compelling "new categories" in 2014 and 2015.
  • Reply 93 of 219
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Wow, I just lost all respect for their awards. What if they did that with cars?

I remember some pretty dismal Chrysler products getting JD Power awards in the 80's. That's when I stopped paying attention.
  • Reply 94 of 219

How the scoring ratings work: http://www.jdpower.com/about/power-circle-ratings.htm

Basic point is, they are relative to their peers, NOT a score out of five.

Of note: "The highest-ranking company or brand in each segment receives five Power Circles*. In highly competitive segments with many companies or brands, multiple companies or models scoring in the top 10 percent of the range from the highest score can also receive five Power Circles, indicating that consumers rate them "among the best" of all companies or models in the survey. However, only the highest ranking company in each segment receives a J.D. Power award."

So those 4s that Samsung got could have been very close to Apple's 5s. Still silly that price alone wins it though.

• Reply 95 of 219
    sflocal wrote: »
    The world seems to think that quality and cheap should go together.  Screw them.

quality at a price == bargain

crap at a price == crap
  • Reply 96 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This reminds me of 'Consumer Reports' ... they are total rubbish most of the time.

That was my first thought, too. For years they would recommend PC's over Macs. I lost a lot of respect for CR.

• Reply 97 of 219
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Then you must think Google has been picking its butt, because Android is still only 32-bit and (according to Google HQ) the upcoming version 4.4 "Kat-Krap" won't run on a 2-year-old Nexus even though its hardware specs meet the minimum advertised requirements. Google drops support after 18 months.

(For reference: iOS7 runs just fine on the 3-year old iPhone 4.)

• Reply 98 of 219
    You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 99 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

For years, J.D. Power was *the* expert on rankings.  Then they stopped ranking Apple #1.  They are obviously now "paid off dummyheads" that don't know anything about anything!!

That said, this looks like someone made a mistake, unless they have some kind of statement explaining the logic(?) of why Samsung came in first despite the lower scores.

I'm fine with any JD ranking, even one which doesn't show Apple in the lead, as long as they can explain the mathematical rationale. This one just makes absolutely no sense. At least with the ones that show Apple at #1, Apple gets more filled dots than anyone else. This one is the complete opposite, with Apple dominating every category except price, then losing. 

• Reply 100 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drealoth wrote: »
    How the scoring ratings work: <a href="http://www.jdpower.com/about/power-circle-ratings.htm" style="line-height:1.4em;" target="_blank">http://www.jdpower.com/about/power-circle-ratings.htm</a>;

Basic point is, they are relative to their peers, NOT a score out of five.

Of note: "The highest-ranking company or brand in each segment receives five Power Circles*. In highly competitive segments with many companies or brands, multiple companies or models scoring in the top 10 percent of the range from the highest score can also receive five Power Circles, indicating that consumers rate them "among the best" of all companies or models in the survey. However, only the highest ranking company in each segment receives a J.D. Power award."

So those 4s that Samsung got could have been very close to Apple's 5s. Still silly that price alone wins it though.

But are they ranking the 10" iPad to other 10" tablets or to all tablets including smaller ones.