Apple axes older Smart Cases and Smart Covers, leaves only dark gray option available

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Ahead of Friday's iPad Air launch, Apple on Thursday quietly discontinued all but one variant of its Smart Case and Smart Cover offerings for older 9.7-inch iPads, with the dark gray version of both remaining as the only option for would-be buyers.

Smart Cover
Apple's Smart Cover for iPad 2. | Source: Apple

With Apple's colorful lineup of Smart Cases and Covers whittled down to a dark gray polyurethane option, current second- through fourth-generation iPad owners who do not yet have an Apple-made case may be out of luck once brick-and-mortar Apple Stores run out of supply on hand. The change was first spotted by iLounge.

Apple still sells the iPad 2, which also fits the cases and covers discontinued on Thursday, meaning those customers looking for an entry-level iPad are now limited to the one color option.

Apple first introduced the Smart Case alongside the iPad 2 in 2011. The wraparound Smart Case debuted as an alternative to third-party protective accessories that cover both the front and back of the iPad.

The covers feature embedded magnets that interface with a hall sensor in the iPad to turn the device on and off when the cover is flipped open and closed. There are also magnets located on the inside of the iPad's chassis to attach the accessories without unsightly hardware.

Both the Smart Case and Smart Cover will live with updated designs for the upcoming iPad Air and iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Strange.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Strange.

Why? It’s just like when they cut the extra colors of the old iPhones to save fabrication. Well, sure, white was the only color cut, but it’s the same principle.

This tells me they see the 5th iPad’s design being pushed aggressively.

• Reply 3 of 32
    Hmmm.... they've left just the dark Gray Smart cover for the iPad 2 but then have not offered the dark Gray Smart cover for the iPad Air... that is also strange.

I also would like to know what the weight of the Smart cover is for the new iPad Air so that I know what the total weight will be for iPad Air plus the Smart cover.

Note that the the new iPad Air Smart covers now have ONLY 3 foldable flaps vs. the 4 foldable flaps on the older Smart covers. Hopefully this will be a practical move to make the foldable cover sturdier etc.
  • Reply 5 of 32

Stating with IOS7, Apple has decided to hit things with an ugly stick.  It's like they are deliberately trying to cut their sales.

• Reply 6 of 32
    Originally Posted by CipherMethod View Post

Stating with IOS7, Apple has decided to hit things with an ugly stick.  It's like they are deliberately trying to cut their sales.

Would you morons just look at a fact before posting for once?

• Reply 7 of 32
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would you morons just look at a fact before posting for once?

You mean the fact that iOS 7 is ugly?  Yeah, we've had to look at that for a while now.

• Reply 8 of 32
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Any word on iPad Air Docks?

• Reply 9 of 32
    Stating with IOS7, Apple has decided to hit things with an ugly stick.

Apple never stated anything like that. ;)
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Apple never stated anything like that. ;)

That's one ugly spelchekker he used there.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I'll just stick with my custom leather, started with Tan and dyed it with aniline leather dye:-

One of a kind, looks like a battered old briefcase.

• Reply 12 of 32
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Ill just stick with my custom leather, started with Tan and dyed it with aniline leather dye:- One of a kind, looks like a battered old briefcase.

That’s a very pretty leather. I don’t think people would have minded Calendar at all had it used that color of leather.

• Reply 13 of 32
    I really don't get how people think iOS 7 is ugly. I really enjoy it. But that's just me.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeu26 View Post

I really don't get how people think iOS 7 is ugly. I really enjoy it. But that's just me.

Beautiful or ugly are in the eye of the beholder.  

On the other hand, when the new iOS colors and lack of texture make it more difficult to use (which is true) that is where I get irritated.

As to ugly one could observe that both calendars and reminders have the color scheme and overall appearance of a 1905 hospital (white, light gray, and the occasional splash of red) and that hospitals now use color and texture to enhance the healing experience of the patient.  But...if it was simply ugly in my eyes and worked well and easily, that would be much more acceptable than the current situation.

• Reply 15 of 32
    hill60 wrote: »
    I'll just stick with my custom leather, started with Tan and dyed it with aniline leather dye:-

One of a kind, looks like a battered old briefcase.

Looks great.

The color suits the texture.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Looks great.

The color suits the texture.

The iPhone case didn't turn out so well, it looks like a polished turd.

• Reply 17 of 32
    hill60 wrote: »
    The iPhone case didn't turn out so well, it looks like a polished turd.

You win some, you lose some.

;)
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I guess people will have to buy the hundreds of third party covers that are available then.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

5th iPad

Go on...say iPad AIR...it doesn't hurt, really.

• Reply 20 of 32
    I really preferred the Light-Grey case but oh well!
    Red & Blue aren't bad.