Apple issues Mavericks Mail Update build to AppleSeed members for testing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In an email to AppleSeed developers on Thursday, Apple revealed it is working on a Mail Update for Mavericks, which looks to deal with a number of issues users are experiencing with the new operating system.

Mail

According to people familiar with the Mail Update, Apple is asking AppleSeed members to help in testing the software before it is pushed out to customers. As seen above, Apple is requesting that the update be tested as soon as possible, suggesting the company is planning on a near future release.

Sources say the update focuses on email accounts associated with Mavericks' Mail app, including those served by Apple's own iCloud. Gmail, Microsoft's Exchange and others were also mentioned.

In the release notes, Apple instructs testers to install the update and use Mail normally. Particular areas of concern include moving messages into different folders, undoing certain operations like deletes and making sure messages are being marked as "read" and "unread" in both Mail and on the provider's server, the people said.

A number of threads have been created on Apple's Support Communities forum regarding issues with the new operating system's Mail app, including one discussion concerning odd Gmail folder behavior. The thread has amassed over 15,000 views and 131 replies.

AppleInsider has also received numerous anecdotal reports of Mail being "broken," with incorrect notifications, messages mishandling and other anomalies.

Apple did not specify a target release date for the Mail Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

Mail is horrible at time. Taking 3-5 seconds to open a new mail message and just pausing for 5+ seconds for now reason. Scrolling is an issue when Mail goes dumb for a while. 

This update can't come soon enough. 

• Reply 2 of 55
    PDF documents can not be scrolled onscreen with a mouse. You must highlight the PDF with the spacebar, then scroll. Why the extra step?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Just yesterday I had trouble sending file getting false message saying over size limit when file was 5.7 mb! Yes update can't come soon enough.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Adding an attachment from mail also is very slow. It takes 10-15 seconds for folders to load even though I'm having SSD drive only.

Yes update can't come soon enough !
  • Reply 5 of 55
    I wonder if mail rules will work now. Some do, but some that should do not.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    What about Mail for iOS? I often open emails from the lock screen by swiping but then after I close Mail it still shows the message as unread. Not a huge issue but another bug that needs squishing
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Mail on iOS is severely lacking too. Why they don't initiate a bulk mail folder for spam is beyond me. Anyone have experience with Air Mail on MacOSX? Apple's email clients have always been extremely weak IMHO...
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Are the people commenting here foreigners from India and Pakistan getting paid by Google or Samsung? Why do I ask? The horrible grammar is a dead giveaway.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Issues:
    - marking a message as junk in a smart mailbox only marks it as junk but doesn't move it to the junk mailbox as it used to do correctly in previous releases; marking a message as junk in the inbox still moves it to the junk mailbox. This makes using a smart mailbox for unread or flagged or VIP messages useless

- if mail is open on multiple machines junk message marking and classification gets seriously wonky and/or out of sync

There are other issues, like mail blocking if one account experiences minor connectivity issues, instead of silently retrying and running each account in a separate thread

Despite all of the shortcomings, Mail.app in classic view is still the most productive mail client for me.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    simsonic wrote: »
    Are the people commenting here foreigners from India and Pakistan getting paid by Google or Samsung? Why do I ask? The horrible grammar is a dead giveaway.

Horrible grammar affects people of all nationalities, all cultures, all ages, and even those who speak a language natively. What I find interesting is that with circa 200 countries in the world you choose this 1% as being the culprits.

edit: typo.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Everything was working fine after installing Mavericks until today. I get a "ding" for new mail but no badge. Go to my MBP to see what's up and have to actually open Mail to see if I got something. I get the badges fine on my phone though.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    akqies wrote: »
    What I find interesting is that with circa 2000 countries in the world
    2,000 counties in the world?
    Currently, only 250 if you really, really stretch the definition of "country".
    Regardless, the comment from Simsonic was a bit off the mark. The grammar is no worse than any other thread.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I'm not saying Mavericks Mail doesn't need to be fixed but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an email to AppleSeed developers on Thursday, Apple revealed it is working on a Mail Update for Mavericks, which looks to deal with a number of issues users are experiencing with the new operating system.A number of threads have been created on Apple's Support Communities forum regarding issues with the new operating system's Mail app, including one discussion concerning odd Gmail folder behavior. The thread has amassed over 15,000 views and 131 replies.

Everything about Google's half-assed Gmail IMAP implementation is "odd".  It doesn't surprise me that the rewrite of the Mail application would have issues with the strange way Google retains messages in that pseudo phantom folder implementation.

What kind of bizarro world do we live in where Outlook.com now has a more correct and complete IMAP implementation than Google's Gmail?

• Reply 14 of 55
    rcfa wrote: »
    Issues:
    - marking a message as junk in a smart mailbox only marks it as junk but doesn't move it to the junk mailbox as it used to do correctly in previous releases; marking a message as junk in the inbox still moves it to the junk mailbox. This makes using a smart mailbox for unread or flagged or VIP messages useless

- if mail is open on multiple machines junk message marking and classification gets seriously wonky and/or out of sync

There are other issues, like mail blocking if one account experiences minor connectivity issues, instead of silently retrying and running each account in a separate thread

Despite all of the shortcomings, Mail.app in classic view is still the most productive mail client for me.

I hope it is coming, but the solution is server side rules. That way we could have the same results no matter if Mail.app is open on my mac or not.
    sky king wrote: »
    Everything was working fine after installing Mavericks until today. I get a "ding" for new mail but no badge. Go to my MBP to see what's up and have to actually open Mail to see if I got something. I get the badges fine on my phone though.

I notice Mail that is "read" when it comes in. Very strange.
  • Reply 15 of 55

Clearly there are problems with Mail and you rightly point out that a significant number of people 15,000 have followed a thread on this on Apple discussions. But there is a much bigger issue with Mavericks that is causing a huge amount of accrimony in Apple discussions and yet very few people are reporting on it. There is a thread of some 30 pages, read by almost 28000 viewers on the breaking of local syncing in iTunes- you can no longer sync your address book or calendar between iOS and Macs except through the NSA- sorry I mean iCloud. Many of us, especially but not only those not in the US, are really really unhappy about this silent and crippling change to iTunes under 10.9 (the issue is 10.9 not iTunes). Interestingly, local sync still works in windows! The issue is not only what Apple have done, but how they have done it, without any warning of the removal of a core functionality. Many people on the thread are downgrading to 10.8 and the only other solution seems to be to install OSX server. Sorry to have hijacked this thread slightly.....

• Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

That's insulting.

Do not generalise people from any country based on stereotypes.

• Reply 17 of 55

Make it soon. Mail.app has not behaved properly since updating to 10.9. Amongst other anomalies Mail Activity keeps showing random numbers of incoming mail none of which arrives.

• Reply 18 of 55

You ninny... We're all "foreigners" on the internet. It's a World Wide Web.

• Reply 19 of 55
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

you choose this 1% as being the culprits.

India is one percent? No. He chose them because that’s where they come from.

If it hasn’t been reverted in the interim, IP addresses that report themselves as coming from India (wait, I think just Pakistan) are blocked from signup here.

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

We're all "foreigners" on the internet. It's a World Wide Web.

Wouldn’t that make none of us foreigners?

• Reply 20 of 55

Mail is crashing repeatedly despite major reboots and reinstall of Mavericks! Please...hurry up with a fix. Mail freezes "Send" button and only a Force Quit stops the crash...but Mail is now inoperable.