Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Though OS X 10.9 Mavericks is only a few days old, Apple is unsurprisingly hard at work on the next major version of its Mac operating system, with traffic from the unreleased software steadily growing over the last month.

OS X 10.10

Traffic to AppleInsider from Macs running Apple's as-yet-unnamed OS X 10.10 grew throughout the month of October. In the last week, after OS X 10.9 Mavericks was released, traffic saw a significant increase.

Of course, a release for OS X 10.10 likely remains at least a year away, or potentially more. Apple had a 12-month wait between OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and a 15-month window between Mountain Lion and OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

What features or changes OS X 10.10 might include are also unknown, but it's likely that Apple will continue its trend of sharing features between its iOS and OS X platforms. For example, in addition to a number of under-the-hood performance improvements, Mavericks also brought over iBooks and Maps from iOS.

Mavericks

One thing that is known about OS X 10.10 is price: Apple indicated in this week's quarterly earnings conference call that like Mavericks, all future releases of its Mac operating system will be free upgrades through the Mac App Store.

The next major release of OS X 10.10 will also presumably be named after a famous California location, as Apple moved away from its traditional cat names starting with Mavericks this year.

Since its release last week, Mavericks has been off to a rousing start for Apple, with downloads of the free update tracking three-times faster adoption than that of Mountain Lion. The update brings deep architectural enhancements that wring even more battery life out of Apple's laptops, as well as enhanced support for multiple displays, an updated to the Safari web browser, new iCloud Keychain functionality, and a new tabbed mode for Finder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108

Well, yeah there’s Apple traffic here. Apple has to see what they’re rumored to do, after all. How else will they know what they’re doing next?

But why is the number of visits wiped in that image?

• Reply 2 of 108

Carrying forward the Excitement.

• Reply 3 of 108
    I'm really curious what names they choose to go with for these releases:

Sequoia
    Yosemite
    Sonoma
    Hollywood (not likely)
  • Reply 4 of 108
    Interesting time for the Mac. I would've guessed that something big was coming within the next couple of years. Like when we first saw OS X so many years ago.

But then why would they start this new naming paradigm? Does that mean we're getting small, annual California-themed upgrades for the next decade? :(
  • Reply 5 of 108
    Mavericks is amazing. I have absolutely no idea how they can get better. Just hope they now keep the battery saving features from Mavs.
  • Reply 6 of 108

Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

• Reply 7 of 108
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Sequoia

Yosemite

Sonoma

Hollywood (not likely)

What about Tahoe,  Big Sir, Shasta, just a couple of others.  They may have more names to choose from but I don't know how many "usable" that sounds right, from a marketing perspective.  I think they should have used words from more astronomy, different animal species or maybe famous people from the entertainment or science/technology industry last names (as long as they weren't criminals or politicians, kind of the same thing).

• Reply 8 of 108

East Los Angeles
    South Central
    Inglewood
    Crenshaw
  • Reply 9 of 108
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    inosey wrote: »
    Mavericks is amazing. I have absolutely no idea how they can get better. Just hope they now keep the battery saving features from Mavs.

I'd like Messages to loose the bubbly Aqua look.
  • Reply 10 of 108
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Does that mean we're getting small, annual California-themed upgrades for the next decade?

Not small, probably California, and I’d bet that OS X is supplanted before 2020.

• Reply 11 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

East Los Angeles

South Central

Inglewood

Crenshaw

OSX: Compton. All the chrome has a gold chain look and Siri has been renamed to Ho. She will also respond to Yo B*tch

• Reply 12 of 108

I hope they keep focusing in stability but change OSX them altogether.

iOS7-like theme, please. We need similar icons for coherency, similar gestures for multitasking, etc. However, OSX needs a redesign, clearly they didn't had time for Mavericks. It's not because of chromeOS, or Windows 8, or Android... Besides coherency, It's because iOS makes mavericks look 100 years old.

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

• Reply 13 of 108
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

So not going to OS 11 then. 

• Reply 14 of 108
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    drblank wrote: »

What about Tahoe,  Big Sir, Shasta, just a couple of others.  They may have more names to choose from but I don't know how many "usable" that sounds right, from a marketing perspective.  I think they should have used words from more astronomy, different animal species or maybe famous people from the entertainment or science/technology industry last names (as long as they weren't criminals or politicians, kind of the same thing).

Tahoe is the best name I've seen in regards to the name format and inspiration of the location, but I'm not sure even that would be used. Note that Mavericks is a location but it's not a city or town or park or anything else I'd call official. Google Maps will locate "Mavericks, CA" about 2 miles off the shore of Pillar's Point in the water, but I'm not sure you'll find it on a AAA map. I hope this sets the stage for places that are well known locally around CA but are not places that the world has ever heard of.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    "The next major release of OS X 10.10 will also presumably be named after a famous California location, as Apple moved away from its traditional cat names starting with Mavericks this year."

Has Apple confirmed the naming strategy? Wouldn't it be much more exciting for them to use famous surfing locations? Surfing is more international, as well.
    Kandahar (Mexico)
    Tamarindo (Costa Rica)
    Waikiki (USA-Hawaii)
    Taghazout (Morocco)
    Siargao (Philippines)
    and on and on......
  • Reply 16 of 108
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So not going to OS 11 then. 

It’s too soon. Technology has to catch up with the idea first.

• Reply 17 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Sequoia

Yosemite

Sonoma

Hollywood (not likely)

Sequoia is a type of tree, Redwood would be more apt, and a much nicer name. And I'd say Yosemite is a dead certainty at some point. On a personal front I find redwood trees some of the most inspiring things.

• Reply 18 of 108
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sequoia is a type of tree, Redwood would be more apt

:???:

• Reply 19 of 108

Kandahar, may an Afghan theme next for the blood to be drawn from Windows and Android!

• Reply 20 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Sequoia

Yosemite

Tahoe

Big Sur

Shasta

Beach Themes:

Malibu

Newport

Carmel

Coronado

Carlsbad

Mountains: