Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

http://apple.com/feedback
  • Reply 22 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Why would they force the Mac App Store? That would be exceedingly stupid on a desktop OS.

Quote:

Quote:

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

And there are significant disadvantages for anyone doing things such as development work that requires using programs that will not work at all if sandboxed. Have fun, for example, trying to run a debugger when inside a sandbox. Have fun trying to run VM software in a sandbox. Requiring everything to be sandboxed to be in the Mac App Store would seriously cripple OS X as a development system.

• Reply 23 of 108

Also, it's time to enforce the Mac App Store for it to really take off. Dropbox, Chrome, Firefox, Transmission, Thunderbird, VLC, etc... What are they waiting for?

Nothing; it has already taken off and there’s no reason to force it.

• Reply 24 of 108

Pipeline.

• Reply 25 of 108
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So not going to OS 11 then. 

Apparently it's going to be "Mac OS ten ten point ten."  Kinda weird, to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

But there is plenty of time for Apple to change the name.

• Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Mavericks is great. The only complaint I have is with the new Pages. I tried opening a previous file and there was some floating text that it would not let me edit. I had to revert back to the previous version of Pages just to work on it. I've deleted the new Pages from my Mac but now I get the upgrade notification in the Mac App Store which will not go away......that is pissing me off. Same thing with iMovie on my old 2008 iMac, I can't upgrade because of my hardware which is fine but I can't get rid of the upgrade notification in the app store telling to upgrade to the new iMovie. This is stupid.

Right-click (or control-click) on the update in the Mac App Store and choose Hide Update.  You won't see it again.  

• Reply 27 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Apparently it's going to be "Mac OS ten ten point ten."  Kinda weird, to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

What is weird about it? Plenty of software uses the same version number scheme. Also it's not more "mathematically weird" than say 10.8.3 as a version number. Versions numbers != mathematical values and they were never meant to be.

• Reply 28 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Quote:

Why would they force the Mac App Store? That would be exceedingly stupid on a desktop OS.

Quote:

Quote:

Steam would have to play nicely, too. The advantages are just tremendous (simplicity, ease of use, updates, apps would be forced to play nicely, comments and opinions always there, no malware or anything like it, etc.).

And there are significant disadvantages for anyone doing things such as development work that requires using programs that will not work at all if sandboxed. Have fun, for example, trying to run a debugger when inside a sandbox. Have fun trying to run VM software in a sandbox. Requiring everything to be sandboxed to be in the Mac App Store would seriously cripple OS X as a development system.

Because regular desktop OSes are a thing of the past.

I believe common ground can be reached, no? Xcode does it's job, afterall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing; it has already taken off and there’s no reason to force it.

Nothing close to iOS level, even when adjusted to the discrepancy in numbers of devices being sold. I just see lots of advantages of doing it.

• Reply 29 of 108

to say nothing of the fact that having 10.10 come after 10.9 is mathematically weird.

Ten comes after nine. Somehow that’s weird?

They’re not changing the name until the OS inherently changes.

• Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:

But there is plenty of time for Apple to change the name.

Did you fail math?  10 comes after 9.  Don't know why some of you can't comprehend 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 to indicate 10th, 11th, and 12th update versions of software, should it continue that far.  Some fanbois went ape-shit when Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.  They could not comprehend that Tiger had 11 bug-release fixes.  They insisted that 10.5 came after 10.4.9.

• Reply 31 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Hahaha. Good joke. It's good that Apple doesn't share your absurd outlook on OS X that would basically no longer allow VM software, development tools, etc.

Quote:

Yes, because Xcode is not sandboxed specifically because most of the tools it uses would not work when in a sandbox. Do you honestly not know how things like debugging and performance/memory profiling work?

• Reply 32 of 108

@ GadgetCanada V2: Keep trying. My mid-2007 iMac wouldn't allow me to update due to not meeting the minimum specs. I tried at least a dozen times, and then when it was updating some other software... I think when I clicked on Update All (although that gave me the same error every other time)... the iMovie update downloaded, installed, and works just fine.

• Reply 33 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Quote:

Hahaha. Good joke. It's good that Apple doesn't share your absurd outlook on OS X that would basically no longer allow VM software, development tools, etc.

Quote:

Yes, because Xcode is not sandboxed specifically because most of the tools it uses would not work when in a sandbox. Do you honestly not know how things like debugging and performance/memory profiling work?

In the same way that Xcode isn't sandboxed other apps could have the same status, like parallels, etc, will still being on the MAS.

I know almost nothing about that specific subject, yet.

• Reply 34 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The name isn't going to be any of those old traditional vacation destinations. It will be something cool, young, hip and mostly unknown to the older generation. Something like 'Trestles' .

• Reply 35 of 108

I for one am looking forward to more OS X updates named after great surfing spots.  :^)

• Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

In the same way that Xcode isn't sandboxed other apps could have the same status, like parallels, etc, will still being on the MAS.

I know almost nothing about that specific subject, yet.

Yes, you clearly know nothing about the subject. Also, letting third-party software not be sandboxed in the MAS sort of defeats one of the major points of using the MAS in the first place which is that the apps are sandboxed for increased security protection. You realize that it would require enormous effort on Apple's part to verify the security of all the non-sandboxed apps, right? It seems far more logical to just allow people to just install third-party software as they can do now by changing the Gatekeeper settings. Apple also seems to realize this as well and hopefully will never have anyone like you running OS X development.

• Reply 37 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Did you fail math?  10 comes after 9.  Don't know why some of you can't comprehend 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 to indicate 10th, 11th, and 12th update versions of software, should it continue that far.  Some fanbois went ape-shit when Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 to 10.4.11.  They could not comprehend that Tiger had 11 bug-release fixes.  They insisted that 10.5 came after 10.4.9.

Not failing Math might be the problem because in mathematics 10.10 ( which is exactly the same as 10.1) does not come after 10.9, but 0.8 behind it.

But this isn't math. The dot is not a decimal place. The dot demarcates name and major and minor ( i.e. name.major.minor) release versions. Of course you know that, but it would actually confuse some mathematicians. 

• Reply 38 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Right-click (or control-click) on the update in the Mac App Store and choose Hide Update.  You won't see it again.  

I'm right clicking and control clicking everywhere on the Mac App Store update page and no menu is showing up.

• Reply 39 of 108
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member

I see people have responded to you but I haven't seen a specific answer to this. The MAS has specific rules, rules I don't think VLC will pass for the same reason their iOS was pulled, Transmission could be seen as a potential issue for content owners whomApple partners with, and Dropbox needs you to enter your Admin password to install files where MAS files aren't allowed.

I have to wonder why MAS has to be the only option. Right now it's the best of both worlds for Mac users.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I see people have responded to you but I haven't seen a specific answer to this. The MAS has specific rules, rules I don't think VLC will pass for the same reason their iOS was pulled, Transmission could be seen as a potential issue for content owners whomApple partners with, and Dropbox needs you to enter your Admin password to install files where MAS files aren't allowed.

I have to wonder why MAS has to be the only option. Right now it's the best of both worlds for Mac users.

Drop box does a whole lot more than that ( it's probably ok to ask for user permission to install outside the sandbox).