Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 166
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Rockstar Consortium never included EMC.

Yes. That is the statement you made, here repeated. Very good. What’s your point?

• Reply 22 of 166

find it hard to believe google would drop out of the bidding on account of money if it could touch them that directly.. still.. if they did f up it seems they will have to pay huge money. it would still probably remain the big business it is anyways, but managing to get a real shot at google has been rare as far as i know. interesting news

• Reply 23 of 166
    Wow. So Apple and Microsoft are just pathetic patent trolls now. They actually set up a Patent Holding Company to Patent Troll Google. That wreaks of desperation. I remember when Apple had ethics.
  • Reply 24 of 166
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Ugh I hate this stuff. But you can't hate the players, just the game. We need tech patent reform. Before long it's going to be impossible to create new tech without stepping on someone's vague patented concept. 

• Reply 25 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Yes. That is the statement you made, here repeated. Very good. What’s your point?

I used to have a pet goldfish.

Thats just as related as EMC/Rockstar is to Google/Motorola.
  • Reply 26 of 166
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I used to have a pet goldfish.

Thats just as related as EMC/Rockstar and Google/Motorola. image

"Pepperidge Farms v. Rockstar Inc. ended today, resulting in the cheesy fish snack maker gaining the rights to caffeinate its cookie products.”

• Reply 27 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Ugh I hate this stuff. But you can't hate the players, just the game. We need tech patent reform. Before long it's going to be impossible to create new tech without stepping on someone's vague patented concept. 

You can just feel sorry for players this desperate. Between the e-book price fixing scam, and now bottom feeding patent trolling, I'm losing a lot of respect for Apple. And I don't like that. But you can't really look at it any other way. 

• Reply 28 of 166
    Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

But you can't really look at it any other way. 

Well, you can look at it with the truth instead of this BS. I guess that’s valid.

• Reply 29 of 166
    mstone wrote: »
    So isn't Rockstar just another East Texas patent troll?

I'm sure the fact that patent lawyers sue there for strategic reasons makes patent litigation something of a farce, IMO. Civil justice should be fair and impartial, which means it should NOT matter where the case is tried. But I'm an idealist; I know that it is not.
  • Reply 30 of 166
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    You can just feel sorry for players this desperate. Between the e-book price fixing scam, and now bottom feeding patent trolling, I'm losing a lot of respect for Apple. And I don't like that. But you can't really look at it any other way. 

Sure you can. The DOJ thing shouldn't have been won as they did not really prove what people think they claim they proved.

There are major differences between rock star and your typical 'patent troll'

Apple does not guide rockstar's day to day decisions.
  • Reply 31 of 166
    I'm losing a lot of respect for Apple. And I don't like that.

Most fandroids aren't bothered by their rabid disrespect for Apple. Perhaps you need more practice at it. :)
  • Reply 32 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Wow, Jobs wasn't kidding when he said he was going "thermonuclear" on them.

It's not the first time Apple has made a deal with a "patent troll". They did so with Digitude a couple years back.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/10/apple_accused_of_feeding_intellectual_property_to_patent_troll
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/09/apple-made-a-deal-with-the-devil-no-worse-a-patent-troll/
    It was so egregious that even the normally pro-Apple Mueller came out against it.
    https://plus.google.com/+FlorianMueller/posts/Rmh8YYMfSkd

When there's billions in potential smartphone/tablet profits some of the players will go to great lengths to make sure they get their share. For a few it's unabashed "borrowing" of ideas from others' successful products. Some will make very liberal use of the courts and patent offices. Arming patent trolls is apparently seen as a fair weapon too. Many use some combination of all three in their quest for profit.
  • Reply 33 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Google or Samsung needs to buy blackberry right now I mean now now now

You're assuming that the patent license is transferrable in the case of a company purchase. I'd be surprised if that wasn't made impossible  in the original license.

• Reply 34 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, you can look at it with the truth instead of this BS. I guess that’s valid.

Why would you bother with that now when your rabid fanboyism is working so well for you?

(And honestly are you this much of an asshole in real life or does internet anonymity bring this out in you?)

• Reply 35 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Most fandroids aren't bothered by their rabid disrespect for Apple. Perhaps you need more practice at it. image

At any time I might have fifteen different devices sitting on my table. Some of us don't limit outselves needlessly to one particular vendor because brand loyalty is for idiots, or because what we do for a living demands experience in all popular ecosystems. 

• Reply 36 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure the fact that patent lawyers sue there for strategic reasons makes patent litigation something of a farce, IMO. Civil justice should be fair and impartial, which means it should NOT matter where the case is tried. But I'm an idealist; I know that it is not.

I should have /s'd that. Rockstar is not a typical patent troll. Although, it does not make any actual product, its backers do. I am surprised that they are going on the offense though. Apple does implement some key target marketing in iAds but, they certainly were not doing it before Google. I have a feeling this is going to get messy and probably won't end well for either party.

• Reply 37 of 166
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Why would you bother with that now when your rabid fanboyism is working so well for you?

(And honestly are you this much of an asshole in real life or does internet anonymity bring this out in you?)

Plenty of people are afraid to look for the truth. Guess you’re one of them.

• Reply 38 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes. They are just patent trolls that work for Apple and Microsoft. 

• Reply 39 of 166
    So now people are calling apple a patent troll? I thought that term was reserved for the companies that sue even tho they have no product or intention of ever making one?
  • Reply 40 of 166
    Wow. So Apple and Microsoft are just pathetic patent trolls now. They actually set up a Patent Holding Company to Patent Troll Google. That wreaks of desperation. I remember when Apple had ethics.

Don't be a putz. Apple, like all companies, are affected in one way or another by intellectual property issues. If you don't create and own your own IP, you may be responsible for violating someone's IP. This is a business reality...in every country as a matter of fact.