Rumor: Big-screen 'iPhone 6' coming Sept. 2014, Apple to focus on one-handed use

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Agreed. A phone should be as small as possible. When I want to read the NY Times I use an iPad.

This utterly illogical argument again...

"A larger phone would be too much bulk to carry. I overcome that by carrying TWO devices instead."

:no:

• Reply 102 of 118
    Originally Posted by v5v View Post

"A larger phone would be too much bulk to carry. I overcome that by carrying TWO devices instead."

“I want a car so big it can be used as a semi. What do you mean I lose fuel efficiency and speed that way?! I demand to not lose fuel efficiency and speed!”

:no:, indeed.

• Reply 103 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I personally would love a smaller screen, watching video on anything under 10 inches is just stupid, smaller is better for portable devices. Let the phablets eat themselves.

YOU'RE stupid. Where do you get off coming here and insulting me because of the device I use to watch video? Try carrying your 10" TV on the bus with you, genius.

When you grow up you'll slowly begin to recognize that the crowd around you is made up of people and some of them do things you don't understand.

Either than or you'll just be a dumbfuck forever. Either way.

• Reply 104 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you see no one using their smartphone with one hand. Ever. At any time.

Honestly, I swear to whatever deity you prefer, aside from 20th-century-style phone talking (holding it to the head with no use of any headset whatsoever -- so quaint), no. Never. Ever.

Fumbling for your keys? Why the fück would you try to send a text message with the other hand rather than just wait ten seconds? Carrying the kid? Responsible parents put her DOWN rather than trying to do a one-handed map search.

Seriously, I just don't see people trying to use their phones with one hand. Do you? Where? What are they trying to do and why?

• Reply 105 of 118
    Quote:

“I want a car so big it can be used as a semi. What do you mean I lose fuel efficiency and speed that way?! I demand to not lose fuel efficiency and speed!”

:no:, indeed.

Reductio ad absurdum? Wait, no, thats not right... whaddaya call it when someone exaggerates an argument to ridiculous extremes then criticizes the outcome? Whatever it's called, that's what you're doing and it's beneath you.

Whaddaya say we reel in the hyperbole a little an bring the analogy closer to reality?

No one is talking about merging an iPhone and a 27" iMac. We're talking about a phone and an iPad. So, not a car vs. a semi, but rather a car vs. a pickup truck. Make THAT comparison and yes, it is fucking moronic to think taking both everywhere you go is somehow more efficient than just getting a minivan.

• Reply 106 of 118

Guys... don't forgot, The Messiah(Jobs RIP) said 3.5" in the BEST size... because of this, I REFUSE to upgrade past a 4S, I hope they come to their senses and once again return to 3.5" screens on ALL their phones.

Actually they should just CANCEL the mini as well... I find it painful watching people using sandpaper on their fingers!

• Reply 107 of 118

whaddaya call it when someone exaggerates an argument to ridiculous extremes then criticizes the outcome?

“Exactly what you did in the post prior.” Come off it.

No one is talking about merging an iPhone and a 27" iMac. We're talking about a phone and an iPad. 

Same thing. The devices are in no way the same nor suited for the same tasks. A phone is a phone. An iPad isn’t.

So, not a car vs. a semi, but rather a car vs. a pickup truck.

And you want an El Camino. Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

• Reply 108 of 118
    Quote:

............And you want an El Camino. Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

I would think that by now, ANYONE that knows anything at all about Apple will know that they don't listen TO their audience, they TELL their audience what to listen TO.

Steve Jobs did this time and time again... he didn't ask ANYONE if they wanted an iPad... he just envisioned one, had it produced and TOLD people that they wanted one... and guess what? They did.

No use arguing over something that's not going to change.

• Reply 109 of 118
    Quote:

Quote:

So you see no one using their smartphone with one hand. Ever. At any time.

Honestly, I swear to whatever deity you prefer, aside from 20th-century-style phone talking (holding it to the head with no use of any headset whatsoever -- so quaint), no. Never. Ever.

Fumbling for your keys? Why the fück would you try to send a text message with the other hand rather than just wait ten seconds? Carrying the kid? Responsible parents put her DOWN rather than trying to do a one-handed map search.

Seriously, I just don't see people trying to use their phones with one hand. Do you? Where? What are they trying to do and why?

Even my friends at work who are still rockin' the iPhone 4 use two hands with it almost all the time. Especially when texting they are using two thumbs.

Just admit it - one handed usability for most people is NOT a major priority.

• Reply 110 of 118

Or, maybe, since every telephone ever created (up until Android devices started being too big) has been usable with a single hand, people would use it with a single hand for tasks.

• Reply 111 of 118
    Quote:

Or, maybe, since every telephone ever created (up until Android devices started being too big) has been usable with a single hand, people would use it with a single hand for tasks.

Perhaps... when using my 4s, I generally use one hand for doing simple tasks, etc... but when it comes time to type? I ALWAYS use two hands. One handed typing is useless IMO.

• Reply 112 of 118
    Quote:

Uh huh......

• Reply 113 of 118
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Uh huh......

Hold it, thumb on the keys. I was thinking someone might post something more difficult, like a rotary phone. :p

• Reply 114 of 118
    Quote:

[...] Why should Apple be forced to make compromise crap to suit your “needs” when they explicitly said they’re not going to do that?

Nobody is FORCED to make anything, just like I won't be "forced" to buy a phone that isn't what I want. Apple does what they think is best for them, I argue for what I think is best for ME. Maybe what's best for me is also best for Apple. Maybe those of you who say a bigger phone is a bad idea are the same people who said a smaller iPad was a bad idea. Oh wait... YOU ARE!

I still don't get why you so vehemently oppose the very suggestion of any device that doesn't fit your personal preferences. How would the availability of a larger phone that makes ME happy have any kind of negative affect on you? Did the announcement of the iPad mini cause you harm?

• Reply 115 of 118
    Quote:

Skil, no one is doing SHIT with their phone one-handed with the possible exception of dialing voice calls. Don't take my word for it -- go outside and LOOK. Spend just ten minutes on any downtown street corner at noon. Ride a transit train. LOOK AROUND.

Apple is restricting usefulness for web browsing, text messaging, video viewing, game playing and EVERY SINGLE OTHER USE OF A SMARTPHONE just to make it slightly easier to dial a voice call with one hand? I'll go out on a limb and suggest that anyone who thinks that's a good idea is an idiot.

• Reply 116 of 118

Apple is restricting usefulness for web browsing, text messaging, video viewing, game playing and EVERY SINGLE OTHER USE OF A SMARTPHONE just to make it slightly easier to dial a voice call with one hand?

Ever read the name of the device? They’re making it easier to use overall. If you were right, they would have made a larger one by now. Or maybe you think it’s physically impossible for them to do so?

• Reply 117 of 118
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Uh huh......

Hold it, thumb on the keys. I was thinking someone might post something more difficult, like a rotary phone. :p

Haha, yeah I should have....!

• Reply 118 of 118
    Quote:

Ever read the name of the device?

Oh, you don't wanna go down THAT road. Wanna talk about a device called iPad?

Quote:

They’re making it easier to use overall.

I strongly disagree, and have given specific examples of how and why. Your argument has no validity without similar support. Saying "Yes it does! Yes it does! Yes it does!" does not make it so.

Quote:

If you were right, they would have made a larger one by now.

Not necessarily. Apple has been late to the party before, and other companies have had tremendous success with products Apple doesn't make. Apple is not omnipotent or infallible.